Author Topic: Bipolar Disorder and AN  (Read 3977 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Bipolar Disorder and AN
« on: July 14, 2008, 02:52:06 pm »
I already made a post under the AN ISSUES section, but I am really interested in hearing from anyone who it W & W and who also has bipolar disorder.  I am having a hard time coping, and it would be nice to hear from someone who is trying to deal with both of these issues.

Thanks,

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Mickey

Re: Bipolar Disorder and AN
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:57:23 am »
Hi Nancy! I`m not bipolar but just wanted to reassure you that this is not an easy thing to cope with. It takes me alot of soul searching and whatever necessary to come to terms withthe fact that I`m 1 in 100,000. You also have to remember that if you live a long life you have to come up with something sooner or later. On the positive side there are alot more worse ailments out there. Keep your chin up! Stay with the group and alot of nice people to confide with! You will prevail! Mickey

Nancy Drew

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 09:49:42 am »
Hi!

Thanks Mickey for your support and encouragement.  I know that I am not the only one who suffers from anxiety, depression and other emotional issues related to dealing with their AN.  I have been so confused since I got the results of my last MRI in May.  Up until now my AN has not grown since Dec. 2005.  I know that my AN is tiny, and I don't have any major problems associated withthe AN.  What the confusion is all about is the fact that my AN doctor said to go ahead and have GK now, and the doctor I went to see for the second opinion said to continue to W & W until my next MRI in May 2009.  However, both doctors said it could go either way.  I guess I should go for another opinion, but I think in a way that would only confuse me even more.  I had decided to meet both doctors half way and have the next MRI in Nov.  I felt good about that decision until recently.  I trust my AN doctor, but I also know that I need to ask him some more questions.  I plan to see my psychiatrist soon so I don't have a setback with my bipolar disorder.  It feels like my mood is starting to swing, but in reality it just might be a normal reaction that many of us go through when we are trying to deal with issues associated with our ANs.  I'm hanging in there with all of the rest of you.  Thanks again for your support.

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:16:28 am »
Nancy, considering the size with minimal symptoms I agree with you on your course of action W+W and reactions are normal due to our situations. I don`t know how old you are but in my opinion the older you get the more stable it becomes. So if your real young maybe treatment my be warented. I`m close to 60 and hoping most of my growth is behind me, 12cmx06 with minimal symptoms. Only diognosed last year, I`ve had these symptoms for MANY years. In any case, please just stay calm it seems like youv`e cought this in the very early stages and have of time on your side what ever you do. Mickey

Nancy Drew

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:31:53 am »
Hi Mickey,

Depends on what you consider young!  I am 49, and both doctors said with my age the AN will most likely grow.  Of course, there is always the hope that it will sit still and do nothing more.  It did sit there for 2 and 1/2 years without doing anything. It grew this past year, but only slightly and I don't have any major symptoms that bother me too much.  It is hard to know what to do when you get opposing opinions from different doctors.  The doctor who said W & W said if the AN was causing me to have psychological problems then maybe it would be best if I just go ahead with treatment.  I am definitely having "mental problems" with it, but I also know that it most likely is a normal reaction to having an AN.  There are so many people on this board who have other major issues going on in their life on top of dealing with their AN.  I just want to make sure I keep in control of the bipolar disorder.  That is why I am going to check in with my psychiatrist soon so he can help me sort through this mess.  I don't want to be impulsive and do something I might regret.  Thanks for your wise comments.

nancy   
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:23:47 pm »
Nancy to me you sound very normal! You just got to normally feel upset when you have something like we have. It`s very frustrating when something is not cut and dry on what to do. I`m 10 years older than you and who really knows when and if these things completely stop growing. One thing we do know is if they grow it`s real slow and we can monitor  very closely with no ill effects. I`ll take that chance and do what I can untill my AN tells me to do otherwise. Talk again, Mickey

Nancy Drew

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:42:08 am »
Thanks Mickey,

These ANs I am finding throw a lot of curve balls!  I have been W & W for 2 and a half years so I suppose I can keep going because like everyone says they grow slowly and there is no real reason that I know of to do something now.  I figure in time I will have that gut feeling about what to do even if that means doing nothing at all.  I am still wading through emotions and hopefully I'll get to the point where I will be more objective and not wear my emotions on my sleeve all of the time.  There are so many people out there who have way more difficult decisions to make because of the seriousness of their AN.  I try to keep that in mind and realize that I am actually standing in good shoes right now because my AN is really not that bad.  So, I am on my way in this journey, and I am learning a lot along the way.  Everyone has really been patient with me, and I appreciate that.  Thanks.

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs