Author Topic: I'm new, I'm scared, but I'm here  (Read 5706 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: I'm new, I'm scared, but I'm here
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 12:54:58 pm »
Marci-

Very interesting.  I didn't have this done prior, although I know that my surgeons do this with some other types of brain surgery.  Do you know if the eyeballs are for nerve monitoring or placement of a head brace or something else? 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 01:22:01 pm »
Debbi,
They said it was to create a computer image of my brain to better guide the surgeons.  I say "let 'em have all the navigational tools they want".
Marci (the four-eyed alien)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 01:31:21 pm »
Marci/Debbi:

I had a very similar experience the day before my surgery.  The hair shaving and the placement of 'markers' (little circles drawn in felt-tip and quite artistic) on various places on my face & head.  I asked the technicians what this was for and they said: "nerve monitoring electrodes".  I assumed this was standard procedure for AN surgery patients.  Apparently not.   I looked pretty weird, too, but I stayed in the house so I wouldn't scare any neighborhood children.  My wife and adult son were amused by my discomfort  for awhile but eventually stopped laughing long enough to remember that I was having brain surgery the next day and they ignored the markers.  Well, they pretended to, anyway.  I just resigned myself to the series of minor humiliations I would be facing over the next few day (catheter, hospital swill food, etc) and told myself that it would be over by this time next week.  It was and the whole thing is a distant memory, now, two years later.   

Marci, I trust you'll have a similar experience.  Meanwhile, enjoy your life...it will change a bit but probably not too drastically.  My hopes and prayers go with you.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pembo

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 01:32:37 pm »
Marci, Sounds like a new thing they've added since my surgery! I am a musician as well and singing with SSD is different. I didn't really notice it until I had the BAHA trial headband. That was when I realized I couldn't hear myself in my head as well without the BAHA. Not sure if that makes sense or not?! The BAHA has definitely helped though.

I just renewed my drivers license this year....the last one was taken a week before surgery. I photocopied it before turning it in....my last REAL smile.

Enjoy your last meal on this side of the surgery...I ate at 11:58 pm and was starving by 2 am....lol I didn't eat much at UH but my dh says they have pretty good food. Good luck and we'll see you soon..............
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

MAlegant

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 01:56:58 pm »
I finally have a time...6am at the hospital with a 7:15am start time.  Whatever that means....
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 02:08:56 pm »
Wow surgery that quick? I'm Mindy nice to meet you and welcome aboard. You are in great company here. Why was Gamma ruled out? 3cm? Did you talk to anybody on the CK board? I never looked to see if you have spoken about this yet. I do wish you all the luck for tomorrow. You are in our thoughts and prayers...Keep us posted when you feel better!!!!
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

MAlegant

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 02:35:41 pm »
Hi,
Gamma was ruled out for the moment.  The tumor is just on the edge of being too big and there is some necrotic tissue in the middle so three opinions were to "debulk" the tumor first (to preserve the facial nerve and hearing) and to go back at it if there is any left with GK later on.  So, surgery it is for the moment. Thanks for your best wishes.  I appreciate it as I have appreciated all of the love and support I have found from this unexpected source. 
Best,
Marci

Zoe

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2008, 08:01:15 pm »
I just got diagnosed today - AN in my left ear - with a recommendation for surgery.  One of the doctors mentioned was a Dr. Cliff Megerian at Univ Hosp in Clev.  Someone wrote to me and told me he was your doctor.  Could you tell me anything about him and your experience with him?  Needless to say, I am still in shock and scared and wondering what this is all about.  I never heard of it before.  Anything you can share with me will be appreciated.  Thanx, Zoe
Diagnosed 7/28/08 with 1.7 cm X .6 cm AN in left ear
Some hearing loss
Researching and praying to find a good doctor in northeast OH asap

MAlegant

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2008, 08:39:15 pm »
Hi Zoe,
Dr. Megerian at UH was amazing and so was the neurosurgeon, Nick Bambakidis.  Usually the team is comprised of Selman and Megerian but Selman has his arm in a cast so we thought it best that he not operate. Zoe, hearing this news is like being sucker punched in the stomach-you just aren't prepared for it.  Megerian and company provided world class care to me and also to someone who's screen name is pembo.  Do a search for her and she'll fill you in.  I just can't say enough about how they have taken care of me.  Tomorrow will be one week since my surgery and I am starting to feel a bit more like myself.  The odds are way in your favor with this type of tumor, you should meet with Megerian at UH and others at Cleveland Clinic as well.  I made the rounds and had three opinions before I settled on a course of action.  I'm sorry you've had to join this "club" but there many wonderful people here to help you get through.  Let me know how your journey progresses and feel free to send me a personal message.
Best,
marci