Author Topic: Preexisting Condition Coverage  (Read 11719 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Preexisting Condition Coverage
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 04:45:36 pm »
Are you guys talking about problems with coverage BEFORE treatment or AFTER treatment?

I can understand an insurance company being reluctant to insure an individual that has an AN prior to treatment, but post treatment bills should hopefully be somewhat more limited. 

You've got me worried. 

I have Aetna HMO as an individual.  It's getting very expensive. So I was thinking of switching at some point after surgery (maybe 3-6 months or so after).  I didn't realize that I might have some problems doing that. I'm single.  So I can't get on a spouse's coverage. I also can't get onto a group plan at work because I'm not in the Union and won't be able to get in for several years at a minimum. 

Suppose I did get married, would I still have trouble getting insurance via my wife's group plan?

wcrimi:

There is no definitive answer.  There are a couple of factors involved; how long since your surgery, your prognosis and, most importantly, what the company's policy is regarding 'pre-existing' health conditions.  That can be discovered via their website or through an agent, but you must see the policy language in writing before making a switch - and be certain you understand the 'legal' language, which can be (purposely) confusing.  I understand that there are many 'groups' that accept anyone as a member (no specific job or professional position required) and offer health insurance at the 'group' rate.  Just a suggestion but because health insurance is both expensive and necessary, something you may wish to look into.  I'm sure other folks will have more ideas about obtaining health insurance that avoids the 'pre-existing' obstacle.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wcrimi

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 08:16:29 pm »
Thanks Jim. All I can do is pray I have a successful surgery and can go back to work in a couple of months. Perhaps I can look for a new job with coverage and get into a group plan that way.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

womack_b

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 12:40:27 pm »
I would like to add another string to this important discussion.  IF you are a person and considering either Cyberknife or Surgery but have not decided which, does the problem of having a pre-existing condition after Cyberknife but NOT after surgery make a difference?  That is, a big enough difference when contemplating future issues with insurance companies?    With surgery, assuming it is successful and following MRI scans are clean, one does not have a pre-existing condition to worry about, right?  However, with Cyberknife, you need to follow up with MRI's forever with the small prospect of salvage surgery if the tumor begins to grow.    So you do have a pre-existing condition.  What are your thoughts?

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 02:21:10 pm »
I don't agree that there is much distinction between radiation and surgery in this regard. Radiation does mean watching closely at first, to verify that the treatment has worked, but that is basically over in a couple of years.

Once you are 3 or 4 years past radiation treatment, your chance of regrowth is about the same as for surgery. It happens occasionally with both treatments, sometimes as much as 20 years later. CMP on this site just had a second surgery this year, following a surgery in 1988. It is probably a good idea for all AN patients to have a checkup from time to time for the rest of their life.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

TriMan

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 04:23:44 pm »
The original question was regarding being covered from a group plan to an individual plan.  Maybe I missed the post that directed an answer that way.  Most replies were changing from group coverage to group coverage, with or without a lapse in between.  Has anyone inexperienced changing from group coverage to individual coverage?  I'd like to retire early and I am researching my potential insurance costs.  If I go from my current group coverage (Blue Shield California) to individual coverage and stay with BS CA, will I still have to deal with preexisting conditions?
Thanks in advance for your insights.