Author Topic: Timeline for Facial Nerve Recovery . Who Is Right?  (Read 12519 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Timeline for Facial Nerve Recovery . Who Is Right?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 09:07:06 am »
Debbi,

How does the "DO" look?  Nothing like getting your hair done to make a girl feel good! 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

cmp

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 09:11:39 am »
At the time of my original surgery (in 1989), I was told 12 months; I waited exactly that long, then got the 7-12 nerve anastamosis (or graft), which Lori has described so well. Six months after that, my face started to regain its facial tone and symmetry at rest, and I did facial reanimation training with Jackie Diehls and Dr Richard Balliet, which helped tremendously with the synkinesis.

The 7-12 graft was the best decision I ever made, and it was SUCH an easy surgery, especially compared to AN surgery (which, in my book, rates a big "Oy!")... :)

I'm so glad to see that therapy/exercises to promote facial reanimation is a mainstream part of AN treatment at this point (which it definitely wasn't 20 years ago!)

Waiting for facial function to return (and learning to have a public persona which accommodates the many awkward moments that come with palsy) rates pretty darn high on the character-building scale, I'd say!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:13:40 am by cmp »
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 06:33:02 am »
Hi everyone i am new here, i had my op in scotland 19 months ago, i am also a member of the UK AN, my face has just started to show an improvment 18 months post op i had grade 6 palasy now i would say is about 2, i have a gold weight in my eye which is now beginning too look very heavy, there are people on the uk site who still see improvements in there face after 3 years so there is hope yet. HI TO JEAN AM ON HERE AT LAST AND ITS A GREAT SITE.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Dfcman

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 12:27:17 am »
I have had the 7-12 procedure on Oct. 31 2006.  It has helped greatly with tone but not much with movement.  I went to see my surgeon a few months ago and he was happy that when I touched my tongue to the roof of my mouth and  he could see some movement by my lower eye and corner of mouth.  I've been told the 18-24 month thing as well.  I am SLOWLY improving but I'm afraid of hitting that wall once the 24 month point arrives.  Which is quite soon (Like a month).  Its hard not to be discouraged, esp when you're a single college student facing the public almost constantly.

Chris

:-\  <<<<<I still have one of these
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 10:18:37 pm »
Its hard not to be discouraged, esp when you're a single college student facing the public almost constantly.

Chris,

I am speaking as an ole HS teacher and someone who once went to college… and yup even once dated guys (gasp!  :o )  Many of my girlfriends who got deeply involved with a guy just because he was quote “good lookingâ€? ended up with disastrous relationships – most likely because their attraction to the guy was so superficial to start with. Two girls that I went to college with, who were always so proud and bragged of their boyfriends “good looksâ€? etc and married their “Mr. Good Looksâ€? are now in their forties- divorced. :-\

My girlfriends from college (ok when dinosaurs roamed the earth)- who just fell in love with a guy because he was so amazing, of up-standing character, gentle , sensitive and for who he is in “the insideâ€?…and actually  married the guy they loved for his “Characterâ€? are… (guess what?)... STILL married. :)

Hang in there Chris- this is going to make you ever so beautiful and strong in character as a college student – and graduate. Focus on your studies, start building your career – the rest will fall into place when the time is right. When my college dating finally ended (in marriage  ;) ) -it is because I picked the one who was the smartest, had upstanding character, gentle sensitive and caring. On “hisâ€? perspective he really was not too interested in my appearances - but more my brain. (Thus I was careful to pick a reputable neurosurgeon last summer  ;) )

You know if my husband had Bell Palsy when I first met him it would not have made any difference- I was blown away by his brilliance and kindness.

One thing that this ole Bell Palsy experience has given me is to identify who in my life is SO superficial and who is sincere. It has been interesting for my teenage daughter to observe too …and see how her own  peers respond to her Mom’s appearances. As she approaches high school, as a freshman, I am confident she will choose her friends not on appearances but on their character.

Study hard... change the world for the better... and some dear sweet gal will fall in love with you for it...

Keep moving forward

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 12:04:53 am »
Really good advice Daisy.  Written like a teacher and more importantly like a mom.  Even as we age we loose our so called looks, its what's on the inside that counts.  Character, brains and a loving heart.

Take care Chris, some of old gals here do know a thing or two!

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 08:08:21 am »
Chris~
I agree with DHM 1oo%, but I know that it is hard being young & believing that when the world you live in 24/7 is constantly telling you otherwise every whinch way you turn.  I was young too - only 25, but I had been married for a year so I didn't have to deal with the thoughts & feelings you do.  I have moved, though, and that was tough to go "start over."  Most of my friends (the TRUE ones) are convinced that my face is always getting better - I know that it is that they are just used to it and it has become part of me AND NO BIG DEAL TO THEM!  Hang in there - just like DHM said, the TRUE, non-superficial friends won't care - trust me, I have been like this for 12.5 years!!

K ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Dfcman

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 05:39:38 pm »
thank you all for your reply.  :)

I occasionally get discouraged, but I have a great faith in many things.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06