Author Topic: Heard of Dural adhesions causing post crani headaches?  (Read 34582 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Heard of Dural adhesions causing post crani headaches?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 05:17:18 pm »
Here's the link:  http://www.ctran.com/scripts/shopplus.cgi?DN=ctran.com&FILE=/orders/ANA/orderform.htm and the #s  are 707-12 and 707-13. They are the 2 headache workshops by Drs Silberstein and Young, but i believe the one staypoz is referring to and the one I missed was the one by Bill Young.

Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:23:10 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

bridgie

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 06:02:21 pm »
Thank you Capt Deb-
Are these workshops discussing headaches post craniotomy or headaches before crani?

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 06:50:31 pm »
Thank you Capt Deb-
Are these workshops discussing headaches post craniotomy or headaches before crani?

The workshops focused mainly on post-surgical headaches.  This is where I learned about Topamax being the drug treatment of choice by Dr Silberstein and demanded that my headache neurologist prescribe it for me. He hadn't done it befor for 2 reasons--cost and I had tried it befor and found the side effects difficult.  I toughed them out and got on a dose that has really tamed my tough migraines--lessened their severity and  frequency quite a bit.  It goes generic in March 09.

Capt Deb

bridgie

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 08:09:04 pm »
Sorry to keep bothering you about the tapes...if you were going to purchase any of the ehadache tapes, how far back (time) would you go?

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 09:53:16 am »
I just would purchase the 2 most recent ones myself.  Since I attended the Silberstien lecture, I just ordered the one by Bill Young.

Capt Deb

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 10:00:44 am »
bridgie, any chance you could make it to Chicago? The docs there are pretty good about talking to you one on one if you can corner them after the workshops. I did that to Silberstein.  Also networking withother patients was a big help, too.  I just toughed it out and was buzzed on hydrocodone the whole symposium and spent the last day partially bedridden, but I really came home with some good ammo in the war on pain!

Capt Deb

bridgie

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 05:38:52 pm »
Boy, wouldn't that be cool? So its next August? Since its so far out in time, I could possibly do it. I live like that too Capt Deb, buzzed out on MS Contin & Norco!  ::) Traveling is rough on me but I still like to travel. My PCP created a "kit" I use with a variety of meds like anti-nausea and other narcotics. I'm like a traveling ER pharmacy. I agree, be nice to talk with the experts and see what their take on al this is.  Thanks Deb.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 11:19:49 pm »
Someone asked how adhesions could cause pain...

my theory ... when I had adhesions from abdominal surgery , when I moved ,bending or twisting at waist ,
the internal organs that were adhered to each other and the peritoneal lining... the  peritoneal lining was
adhered to under side of my abdominal muscles and so when I moved one way and the lining was trying to
stay still it pulled causing stabbing pains ...this according to the doctor that removed the adhesians and put
in some mesh to keep me from getting them again from the surgery to remove them

I have no bone flap or titanium plate ...just piece of muscle and skin over skull bore hole which is sunken in
but covered over well with hair so not noticeable to anyone but me ... in theory and again it is just mine , if the
dura is attached to skin or muscle and you move such as turning your head or reaching up the skin and muscle  move
pulling at the dura causing pain...

If I turn my head to far to the left or stretch for something on a shelf with right arm I get a tugging
sensation across the scar and over bore hole... sneezing which tightens scalp gives an instant pull and headache
(with in seconds ) ... this all makes sense to me ... if movement of muscle and skin in other parts of body would
cause pain from adhered bits and bobs ,  then dura stuck to muscle or skin would act in same way ... I think  :)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 05:34:48 am »
Great "visual" explanation Soundy, thanks! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

bridgie

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2008, 12:11:26 pm »
That could be it Soundy. Also I've heard there can be traction on the little nerve fibers themselves caused by the adhesons to the muscles. This would be the microscopic explanation of what you I believe you are saying.  ???
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:13:52 pm by bridgie »

bridgie

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 12:30:24 pm »
Its been 4 years since my last craniotomy. When I had a MRI recently I still get enhancement. I'm wondering if others here whom have had craniotomies in the past (not recent) still get enhancing on their MRI?

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2008, 02:03:43 pm »
My fat plug lights up like a lightbulb.  The radiologist still reads it as a possible acoustic neuroma until I send my films out to House and have them read by the docs there.

Capt Deb

bridgie

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2008, 06:01:04 pm »
That's interesting. The radioogist mentioned enhancement from fat packing where I had the mastoidectomy, not part of  the original surgery but part of osteomyelits treatment/debridement that was the third surgery. Still, I also have enhancing in other areas. Namely, at the "interface between the remaining temporal bone and dura" and also there is enhancement for what is likely a venous angioma, which is incidental. The concern is with the tempral bone and dura. no doubt as Dr silberstein claims, these are multiple issues going on.

I got the two tapes already! I appreciate knowing how much is not known---at least thats how I feel today! Now I understand why the doctors can't answer my questions. I'm hopeful this won't always be the case. But I'll be better able to ask questions. The NS asked I send mymost recent MRI of my C-spine to review witht the flex/ext plain films I'd sent with the brain MRI. I do for sure have instability at two levels called spondylolesthesis. Wouldn't you know it, this is another rare thing--but I know this is also part of the multiple things contributing to my head pain. Was it Dr Young that talked about stabs and jabs? Interesting when people talked about head pain rather then headache--so true.  Anyway the NS will be calling me shortly and probably suggesting two level fusion of the c-spine. Scarey notion.

Thanks for telling me about these tapes etc Capt Deb!
Bridgie

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2008, 08:13:42 pm »
Bridgie,
You are quite welcome--I got my Bill Young CD yesterday but haven't had a chance to slip it in the old CD changer and I doubt if Dr Love would have wanted to listen to it on our  2 hr car trip down here to Charlotte. I was so peeved to have spent all that $ to go to Philly for that workshop only to have that dang brainwreck during the thing! I'm just glad to have been able to attend the ones I did.  I get the stabs and jabs, too. Middle of nowhere all of a sudden someone sticks a knife in the side of my head, or the back of it.

I sure hope your docs get you sorted out enough to come to Chicago.  The camaraderie and fellowship amongst us AN survivors is truly amazing at these Symposiums.

Hugs,
Capt Deb (celebrating International Talk Like A Pirate Weekend)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2008, 06:51:15 am »
stabs and jabs are exactly what I get that my former doctor now songwriter ??? didn't
understand or care enough about to investigate.. and pulling sensations that lead to stabs and jabs
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery