Author Topic: MRI at ten months - migraines return  (Read 4244 times)

PatSal

MRI at ten months - migraines return
« on: October 13, 2008, 04:31:38 pm »
Last week I had an MRI after having gamma knife in December.  MY previoius MRI in April showed "interval development of central areas of relatively less enhancement within the previously described left cerebellopontine angle cistern mass.  I was told this mean the tumor was "dying".  Last week the dr told me the tumor had not grown but the decreased central enhancement was resolved.  What does that mean? He said it was gone - but don't worry, the tumor stayed the same size and that's what was important.  I'm going for an MRI of the cervical spine to see if there's a problem there for the migraines.  The MRI report states "since the prior scan, the area of decreased central enhancement is no longer demonstrated.  A friend drove me that day, and I was disoriented from the MRI so I really did not ask the right questions. Anyone ever hear of this?

mk

Re: MRI at ten months - migraines return
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:32:08 pm »
My understanding is that it is very common for the "darkening" that is commonly observed at around 6 months post radiation to disappear afterwards. It is documented in the medical literature and it is nothing to worry about, if the AN itself is stable. There was a recent thread on this. I believe someone mentioned that the scar tissue that forms appears white on the MRI with contrast, that's why the darkening is lost.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

PatSal

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:48:59 am »
Marianna
Thanks ever so much for the info.

Pat

bridgie

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:48:01 pm »
Pat,
I'm the person Marianna is likely referencing as mentioning "enhancing" on MRI"s on Mary's post about physicians not being too helpful post surgery. Enhancing is about tissue lighting up white in a certain area for some reason. At any rate, I am not a doctor. I used to work in the radiology field as a radiographer or technician, the person whom does the imaging. The reason you are enhancing or not enhancing and the relationship to you and your tumor is likely a different story then mine. You need to ask questons specific to your concerns straight away to your doctors. If I can help you ask better questions I'm happy to help sort this out if at all possible.  For example, is the tumor now stable or dying? It sounds like if you are getting decreased enhancement you may be showing progress in a positive direction. This likely has nothing to do w/your headaches but still positive news regarding your tumor. I'm just guessing, remember I'm not a doctor and I'm not trying to play one on the internet. But if you were getting more enhancenebt initially this would likely be due to the tumor reacting to the radiation which is exactly the purpose of the radiation. Now that the tumor is dying or stable you have less enhancement at least thats what it sounds like to me. Those of us whom may have chronic post craniotomy headaches, this is likely relative to the surgery itself which I'm guessing is a different story from those whom had gamma knife treatment. It makes sense to sort out what's causing your specific headaches, check your c-spine etc.
I wish you well!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:49:52 pm by bridgie »

mk

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 07:29:30 am »
There was also another thread, with title "I am back unfortunately" started by another member, Ellen, where the issue of contrast/darkening was discussed.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:40:28 am »
There was also another thread, with title "I am back unfortunately" started by another member, Ellen, where the issue of contrast/darkening was discussed.

Marianna

Hi Marianna... great memory.. here is the link to the thread you noted from ellenvig:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7198.0

Hi PatSal... let me try to help....

Here is a link to what Dr. Medbery (who volunteers his time to answer patient questions) shared on the Cyberknife support board (http://www.cyberknife.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=680).  He is noting this:

"radsrus  Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:09 AM   

No growth means no growth. That is the goal of treatment when radiosurgery is used. It is impossible to define tumor death. We sometimes see something on MRI that looks like necrosis, but that is meaningless since it is not on a cellular level. If a tumor is growing, is treated with radiosurgery, and quits growing, it is reasonable to assume that the growth cessation is due to the treatment. Clinton Medbery, III, M.D. "

I hope this brings you some piece of mind. If the tumor is not growing, there is a good chance that its growth has been stunted. 

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

PatSal

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 09:45:58 am »
Thanks for your replies and information. I read everything. Wasn't on-line yesterday, so I just read everything this morning. It's so nice to chat with people who know what your'e feeling and going through. Again. THANKS>

Pat