Author Topic: Post BAHA MRI  (Read 2797 times)

Catflower

Post BAHA MRI
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:17:46 pm »
Well here's my first new BAHA user question.  I got a card with the processor that said it's ok to have an MRI then in the next sentence it says if the MRI is close to the implant it (the implant) must be removed.  Naturally, if you've had an AN removed your follow-up MRI's are going to be focusing on that site which is where the implant is.

Jan:  Did you have your implant when you had your follow-up MRI.

Linda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Post BAHA MRI
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:33:17 pm »
Linda -

I had my first annual follow-up MRI about 30 days after I had my BAHA implant surgery. 

As usual, I had to fill out a form asking about my medical history, etc., and it asks about implants so I "disclosed" it on the form.  The tech who was screening me didn't know what a BAHA implant was, so I told her and I also showed her my site.  She wasn't sure if it was an "issue" or not and didn't want to just take my word for it, so she went to okay it with the MRI operator (the radiologist ?) before they put me in the tube.

I didn't have my handy little "this is what a BAHA is" card from Cochlear yet, since I didn't have my processor at this point - but I'd imagine that the card will help you somewhat.

Actually I don't know why they put in the part about the MRI "being close to the implant" and about the implant "having to be removed".  In fact, Lori and I were laughing about this!  Can you imagine?   :o  Although there must be some circumstances where an MRI of one's head couldn't be done with the implant intact, I don't think that in the majority of cases (like us) it's a problem.

It's kind of a no-brainer, but make sure you don't wear the processor in the MRI tube  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »
Linda,
How do you like your BAHA now that you have the processor (can you tell I have BAHA envy?)   I'm sure  it will take getting used to, but it must be exciting to be starting to hear better again.  As Jan said and from what I've been told by my doctor, MRIs are no problem because titanium is not magnetic.  According to Lori67,  you won't be setting off any metal detectors either, so the bomb sniffing dogs at the airport should  leave you alone, should you fly anywhere.

Happy hearing !!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:55:58 pm »
That does sound strange about the MRI's in the area of your implant.  Of course that's where they'll be in the area of!

When I went for my first post op MRI, the people at the imaging place didn't know about BAHA's.  They had to call over to my surgeon's office to make sure it was okay to do the MRI.  Of course, all the surgeons were in surgery and the receptionist wasn't going to put her butt on the line, so she had them call Cochlear America to make sure it was okay.  They told her as long as I took the processor off, it was fine.  As she walked me into the room, she said if I felt something "weird" near my implant, to let her know.  Weird?  What - like a metal screw being forcefully pulled out of my skull by a giant magnet?  Yeah, that would be weird. And I don't think she'd need me to casually mention this weird occurence, should it happen, because I'm sure she wouldn't be able to make much sense out of my screams of horror!   :o  Thankfully, it wasn't an issue!   :)

And Wendy's right - no false alarms at the airport and no bomb sniffing dogs.  I can just imagine me head being sniffed for an hour while everyone gawked at the screw in my head!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 10:14:03 pm »
And Wendy's right - no false alarms at the airport and no bomb sniffing dogs.

Lori -

I've heard that the BAHA implant isn't going to set off any metal detectors - despite there being airport information on the other side of that "nifty" little card from Cochlear  ;) - but it's great to have that extra assurance from a fellow forumite (aka guinea pig, in this case) - especially since I'm exactly 1 week away from boarding a plane.

However, I think I'll keep my little card handy, just in case  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Catflower

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:25:30 am »
Linda,
How do you like your BAHA now that you have the processor (can you tell I have BAHA envy?)   I'm sure  it will take getting used to, but it must be exciting to be starting to hear better again.  As Jan said and from what I've been told by my doctor, MRIs are no problem because titanium is not magnetic.  According to Lori67,  you won't be setting off any metal detectors either, so the bomb sniffing dogs at the airport should  leave you alone, should you fly anywhere.

Happy hearing !!

Wendy

Hearing better is great.  I have made an interesting discovery.  I walk for exercise and I have a small part that is along the highway.  I noticed when vehicles, trucks especially, went past I could feel the vibration.  I also noticed this to a larger degree when I passed a man using a riding lawn mower.  I think I'll just remove the processor when I exercise.  I haven't put it on yet this morning since I plan on using the vacuum cleaner.  I'll keep everyone updated.

Linda

Catflower

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 07:26:09 am »
Thanks for the input on the MRI question.

Linda

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:02:50 pm »
Glad to hear you are enjoying your BAHA.  The things you mentioned in your last post are definitely things most people wouldn't mind missing, especially the lawnmower.    I look forward to hearing about special BAHA moments, if you decide to post them.

Best wishes,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!