Author Topic: My BAHA moment  (Read 9764 times)

luv2teachsped

Re: My BAHA moment
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 09:49:08 am »
Hi everyone!  I too have a BAHA, unfortunately I am NOT using my processor as it rubs against my scalp.  I am waiting for an extended abutment which is taking forever to get it approved by insurance. Anyone else have these problems??
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

lori67

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 10:11:42 am »
No, I've never heard of that.  You would think insurance would cover that - I mean, you can't use the processor if they don't.  I hope that doesn't take forever to get cleared up.

Do they just have to attached the extension to the abuttment already in there, or do you have to have the one taken out and the new one put in?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 05:09:55 pm »
luv2teach -

this thread is supposed to be about good BAHA moments - but it's okay, we hijack threads all the time around here.  I'm probably one of the biggest hijackers  ::)

Sorry to hear that you can't wear your processor.  Has this been since day one? or did this just happen over time?

I've never heard of a processor rubbing against the scalp before.  Dare I ask it?  Did your doc just not do the surgery correctly? 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

luv2teachsped

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 06:07:09 pm »
Hi :
Sorry I wrote under this topic but I didn't know how to start a new topic. 
     Evidently the skin has arose around my abutment, so there is VERY little clearance between my head and the top of the abutment. There is no room for the processor so it rubs and has constant interference.When I was wearing my processor, the skin around my abutment was constantly inflamed and irritated, so I quit wearing it. There is no surgery require to change the abutment, as it simply screws in.  Since this has all occurred(almost a year now!), I have read up on the net and wonder IF it was the fault of my surgeon.  Oh well, can't change that now!! I am looking forward to hearing with it hopefully this fall before school starts again!
  For a good BAHA moment, I have a very good friend, also a special ed.teacher who absolutely loves her BAHA!

sorry again for putting in a not-so-good moment :(
luv2teachsped
!!

3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 06:42:56 pm »
Hey, no need to apologize for not sticking to the topic.  I was just teasing you  ;)

We constantly jump around on any given topic - and, honestly, I'm one of the worst "offenders"  :D  - feel free to do so again.

As for the abutment extender, I figured it just screwed on, but I'm glad you confirmed that.  Much nicer than another surgery  ;D

The skin around my abutment was originally really sunken, but rose a little over time.  Guess it didn't rise too much since I can wear my processor without any problems.   I'm not a doctor, so I can't really comment on whether your issue is a surgical "mistake" or not - I just wondered since I've never heard of this.  At the time my doc did my BAHA surgery he'd done over 200 - I'm sure he's done more since - but he never mentioned this being a problem so I'm naturally curious about the odds of this happening.

Hope your insurance company agrees to cover the extender soon and that you're "good to go" before school starts.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

shygirl

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 10:48:01 pm »
I have a couple of "moments" to add...my little boy whispered something in my deaf ear--I told him I couldn't hear him and he came around and told me again. Not 5 minutes later, my girl comes and does the same thing!!! Turns out they were playing a game (I didn't know about it of course) called, "let's see if mom really is deaf". Can you believe that? ::) They are characters when they're together.

My favorite BAHA moment is and always will be........actually being able to locate the phone when it rings!!! No more spinning around!! I'm already dizzy enough!! ;D
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

lori67

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2008, 12:06:46 pm »
Luv2teach -

Sorry I'm just getting back to this - still trying to catch up from being on vacation!

Anyway, I sometimes have a problem with the skin around my abuttment trying to grow up and over it.  I use a steroid cream called clobetasol that keeps that from happening.  I don't use it a lot, but sometimes when I feel the skin getting a little too close to my "snap", I'll put it on before bed and then wash it out good then next morning in the shower - with my trusty toothbrush (not the same one I use to brush my teeth!   :P) and some Dawn dishwashing soap.

The only time I had a problem was when I had to go out of town unexpectedly and forgot to pack the cream and my toothbrush - the skin swelled a bit and I wound up with an infection that required a course of oral antibiotics.  Needless to say, I make sure the cream is always handy.  Maybe that might help you in the future.  You should ask your doc about it.

Hope this helps.  Better late than never, right?
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2008, 02:51:14 pm »
Most recent BAHA moment - happened earlier this week.

Some colleagues and I rented bikes to ride around Lake Calhoun and some other nearby lakes in Minnesota.

On the bike trails other bikers, runners, and walkers, pass on the left.  It was a pleasure to actually hear them saying "on your left" as they rode, ran, or walked past me  ;D

Being SSD on the left, I don't believe I would have heard them without my BAHA.

Thanks again to my incredible neurotologist!

Life is good!

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2008, 09:01:06 pm »
Hi Jan,
I can  imagine how incredible you felt being able to hear what was going on on  your deaf side.  I hate telling everyone "sorry I didn't hear you -- your on my deaf side" or constantly asking people to repeat themselves.  I'm sure after a few months, you actually begin to forget what it's like to be able to hear on that side.  Regaining that hearing through BAHA must feel  like opening a gift you've wanted for a long time.  I'm so very happy for you and of course, I have BAHA envy!  Congratulations on another great BAHA moment!

Wendy -- just biding my time until BAHA can be mine!   
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!