Author Topic: My BAHA moment  (Read 9763 times)

Kaybo

Re: My BAHA moment
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:59 pm »
Jan~
OK, that story would maybe push me over the edge into checking a BAHA out...IF it were another time!  As I have said before, I have had enough "elective" surgery and the subsequent baggage that came with it, to last me for a while...   ;D

K  (still enjoying good health & PICC-less-ness)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 11:08:41 pm »
K -

I totally understand - and I'm not here to "sell" anyone on the BAHA  :)  No commissions or royalties for me - honest :D

I just wanted to share my enthusiasm and let those who might be interested know that it's a very good option for SSD by giving an example of what I've experienced since getting my processor.  I encourage Transear users to do the same.  We're all here to help each other and without others sharing their BAHA thoughts with me, I might not have decided to get a BAHA of my own.

Nice to "see" you back.  Hope you enjoyed Branson.  We missed you!  :-*

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 07:56:51 am »
Jan~
I was completely serious - that story would make me consider one!   ;)

Branson was OK - great to see my Girly and she had a great time.  We have already signed her up for next year AND my middle one!  I am still unsure about sending a little one off that long & far, but she is DYING to go - been counting the months!  The main reason we did it is b/c we can get our FULL deposit back until March 1st but the waiting list is getting longer and longer each year and we want to make sure we get in!  I would recommend this camp to ANYONE - it is an AWESOME, Christian experience for kids!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 11:29:06 am »
K -

I know you were serious, but you have lots of time to think about it - and if it's all you do is think about it, that's perfectly fine with me.  One of the reasons I stick around here is to give people something to think about.  If it helps them, great.  If it doesn't, I hope that at least it's not too annoying  ;)

Glad your girly had a wonderful time and I think the younger one will be fine next year if she's with her sister.  I wish my kids would be comfortable doing something like this.  I think my daughter would love it, but my son suffers from anxiety disorder and can't even spend the night at a friend's house next door so I don't see sleep away camp working for him  :(  I've been hoping he'll outgrow this, but at his age I don't really see that happening.  He may surprise me, though  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dpetty

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 02:45:10 pm »
Guess my last BAHA moment was in April when i attended a advanced IT class in San Franisico normally I sit in the front of the class but this time I sat towards the back and I could hear without having to strain or cock my head!!! Last not so good BAHA moment was about 2 weeks ago and I forgot i had it on and was out in the feed lot feeding the livestock and my Arabain mare who is very nosey tried to eat the unit.....close call for sure.....

David

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 03:38:12 pm »
Jan~
I didn't make it the whole night at someone's house until I was in 9th grade!!  I went to camp at ACU the summer before my Senior year and EVERYTHING changed!  I was planning to stay at home & go to the community college and everything...after that week, NOTHING could stop me.  I was on the go all the time and never looked back.  I even moved to Houston for my 1st job and didn't know a sole!!

There's hope!!  Again, I would recommend this camp -- it is INCREDIBLE and the counselors have a lot of training in helping kids overcome homesickness!!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 05:27:56 pm »
David -

Great BAHA moment - I'm hoping other BAHA users will share some of theirs.

I can't help but wonder if you have insurance on that processor.  Although I don't know if it would cover "eaten by horse"  :D LOL

K -

so it sounds like I should just push my son out of the house more and that might do the trick.  It might also give me a little more "me" time.  I'll have to work on that suggestion.  Thanks for making it  :)

Jan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 06:20:09 pm »
Another BAHA moment - just yesterday.

I was sitting at my desk at work when I started to hear a strange noise every once in awhile.  For a moment I actually stopped what I was doing and thought "what the heck is that sound?"

Turns out it was me.  I had the hiccups and I was hearing myself  :D

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 09:07:26 pm »
Hi Jan -
How really funny!!  Once again, one of the little things making things brighter! 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 10:14:44 pm »
I had a BAHA moment the other day - my 5 year old sometimes forgets I can't hear on the right side (heck, my husband still forgets...) - anyway, she had some very important secret to tell me and whispered it in my AN ear.  I reminded her that I couldn't hear her - so I thought she'd come around to the other side - instead, she moved my hair out of the way and whispered into my BAHA processor - and I heard her - it was crystal clear!  I don't remember what she said, but I'm sure it was very important!  :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 06:40:46 am »
Hi Lori -
Kids do hte darndest things!  I'm sure your BAHA moment cracked you up, I know it did me although I found it very touching and sweet at the same tiime.  Just adorable.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 09:05:07 am »
Lori~
Who needs ears when you can whisper in a BAHA??? 

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 09:42:40 am »
K -

Exactly!  If I didn't need the ears to hold up my sunglasses - I might just have them removed!   :D  Trying to lose weight before the beach, you know!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Catflower

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 12:28:44 pm »
My first BAHA moments have been my being able to hear my husband enter the back door.  He's retired so there's many trips in out of that darn door.  I can't count the times he's scared the living daylights out of me because I didn't hear the door and didn't realize someone was in the house.

Linda

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 01:59:37 pm »
Nice moments, guys!

Lori your daughter is so sweet - I miss the "little kid" years - seems all my 2 do these days is yell and talk loudly  ::)

Linda -

how freaky was it hearing your husband come in the door?  I find that my BAHA brings me back to the little things I don't remember hearing for the past year; things I thought I'd never really hear again.

Today I took my kids to an ortho appt., and I could hear a mom and her daughter whispering to each other on my "bad" side while we were sitting in the waiting room where I was trying to read.  In the past, the whispering would have annoyed me - this time it just amazed me and made me smile  ;)

I find that since I have my BAHA, I'm not as grumpy as I was when I was SSD.

Jan