Author Topic: My BAHA moment  (Read 9765 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
My BAHA moment
« on: June 25, 2008, 09:44:54 pm »
I had a true BAHA moment this afternoon and just wanted to share it.

I was in the drive thru at my bank when I realized I had to call my office and check my voicemail.  As I was listening to my messages with my cell phone held to my "good" ear, the bank teller spoke to me and I actually heard her with my "bad" ear!  For a moment time seemed to stand still while I realized that this was something I haven't experienced in an entire year  :o

This seems like such a small (and silly) thing, but to me it was huge.  Sometimes it's the little things in life that make you grin  ;D

I just can't say enough about the BAHA.  Amazing!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

oHIo

Re: My BAHA moment
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 10:01:37 pm »
Way to go Jan *she leans over and jealously whispers in Jan's left ear*

I'm already tired of reminding everyone when I am on the phone it is worthless trying to talk to me.  I have BAHA envy  ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 10:18:26 pm »
I have BAHA envy  ;)

So does Steve  ;D

Don't you just hate that whole someone trying to have a conversation with you while your good ear is plastered to the telephone?  I found this to be one of the most aggravating things about being SSD, and even though I mentioned this to my children at least a million times, they continued to do it!  AAAHHHHH  ::)

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

oHIo

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:36:11 pm »
Work is even worse than home.  Since I spend a good part of my day on telephone triage, my good ear is glued to the phone.  You would think with my eye sewn mostly shut, people would be able to guess by reason of deduction, which ear doesn't work.  They still try to talk to me on my deaf side, but are even worse about trying to carry on a conversation with me when I am on the phone. 

Lately, I have given up trying to stop them before they waste their breath giving me instructions I can't hear.  I wait until I am off the phone, then look at them and say, "If you were talking to me while I was on the phone, I didn't hear a word you said.  If you need me to do something, you need to repeat the whole story."  Occasionally, they decide it isn't worth repeating and they do whatever it was they needed themselves.  I may never let anyone at work know when I get my BAHA.  ;)

shygirl

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:48:34 pm »
Jan-

Isn't that something? I forgot what it was like to hear the phone and the bank teller. Or my friends who INSIST on talking to me when I'm on the phone!!  With the two older kids, I think they wait till I get a phone call- then they have a million questions! Oh, i could go on forever ;)

2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 05:36:58 am »
I can SO relate and SO MUCH have Baha envy! I can hardly wait! Your story remimds me when they put the test unit on me. I couldn't stay focused on the conversation with the office assistant because I kept turning around looking at the other people that I could hear from the other side. Cool!  8) Such simple things that we take for granted. Great story! I am still Baha-n-vious!  :P
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 07:09:51 am »
Jan -
I have to say I have BAHA evny too.  It's going to be a looooong wait.  I wish I could borrow a demo until then -- maybe the docs should rent them -- now that would be a great idea!!!!  What a money maker too.  Hey!  Maybe Lori can get James to learn how to make them in his garage  -- do I have great ideas or what?

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 07:17:28 am »
Jan -
I meant to say this in my previous post -- I'm so happy for your that your BAHA is helping things return to "normal"  It's the little things in life we sometimes forget or don't notice until we lose them.  When, if we are very lucky, they return they seem like miracles, don't they?

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:52:16 am »
Hang in there, Bucko.  Your time is coming - and very soon, too!  Bet you are delighted  ;D

Wendy -

you are so right.  Miraculous is a good descriptive for the BAHA.

Lori and I have contemplated renting out our surgical tools, we'll have to add demos to the list.  Big market there, I'll bet  ;)

Jan

Catflower

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 10:58:59 am »
Jan:

Congratulations on your exciting BAHA moment.  Tomorrow's my day to get the processor and hopefully the beginning of many happy, BAHA moments.

Linda

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 02:08:51 pm »
Jan:

Great 'BAHA Moment' story. 

I guess I'm one of the very few ANers that doesn't really have BAHA envy.  I completely understand why many AN patients opt for a BAHA unit and I respect their decision but I simply don't feel a need for one at this time.

Of course SSD is a decided inconvenience but I seem to cope fairly well.  Perhaps part of the reason stems from the fact that I was basically deaf in my 'AN ear' for some time (5 years, at least) before my diagnosis and subsequent surgery.  My SSD came on so slowly that I guess I just adjusted to it and by the time I realized that I couldn't hear out of my left ear I was used to it and had already established certain adjustments to accommodate the SSD. 

Don't misunderstand, I would love to hear out of both ears.  I just don't want to deal with the hassle and expense necessary to implant the BAHA unit.  Perhaps if I were still working or much younger (like you) I might feel differently.  I could still change my mind at some point in the future, especially if my 'good' ear ever begins to fail me.

Anyway, thanks for the post.  It was both entertaining and informative, as usual.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 02:27:40 pm »
Jan-

CONGRATULATIONS on your BAHA moment!

I still have some hearing in my right ear preserved (it is as clear as with the good ear) but the doctors "promise" me to lose my right ear hearing after the T3 surgery.

It sounds great that BAHA makes life that easier!

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Tamara

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 03:13:17 pm »
Ok, I'm in with the envious ones.  I'm so happy for you and look forward to my own BAHA moment eventually.  As is turns out, it's a good thing the BAHA was backordered for me or I probably would have had a geyser of CSF out of an opening like that.  I've been pretty much SSD for a number of years now, but really am looking forward to not having to say "what?" all the time.  Plus, my lip-reading is awful.

Congrats on the great news,
Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 07:42:10 pm »
Jim -

The BAHA isn't for everyone and it's wonderful that you have coped with being SSD so well.  I'm not a good "coper" by any means, so I'm very thankful the BAHA even exists. 

And thanks for referring to me as "much younger" - hearing someone say that is almost better than experiencing my BAHA moment  ;D

Jan

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 09:34:32 pm »
I have BAHA envy  ;)
So does Steve  ;D

I am perfectly happy with my plain old ordinary hearing aid that just clips over my ear....Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.