Author Topic: Can I expect improvements after 1 year?  (Read 5207 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Can I expect improvements after 1 year?
« on: June 14, 2008, 03:29:03 pm »
I AM 1 YEAR POST OP FROM A STRETCHED FACIAL NERVE--TOTALLY INTACT AND EMG SHOWS THAT IT IS REGENERATING BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT WHAT I GET AT 1 YEAR IS IT. HAVE YOU HEARD THIS AND IS IT TRUE? I HAD TOTAL FACIAL PARALYSIS AND NOW HAVE SMALL MOVEMENT BUT LOTS OF SYNKINESIS. THERAPIST SAID LAST WEEK THAT WE WILL HAVE TO BOTOX THE DIMPLE IN THE CHIN AND BOTOX THE MUSCLE IN THE NECK BECAUSE IT IS MAKING MOVEMENTS DIFFICULT (LIKE TUG OF WAR WITH THE MUSCLES) AND HARD TO STRENGTHEN WITH EXERCISES UNTIL WE GET THIS UNDER CONTROL. ANY ADVICE FROM THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD ALREADY? KAY-HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL. WILL TRY TO CALL YOU LATER IN THE WEEK.
ANGIE/CROOKEDSMILE

cinnamon

Re: Can I expect improvements after 1 year?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 04:16:51 pm »
Crookedsmile,

Next month will be my 2 years and I definitely seen improvements after my 1 year. I think you could expect even more if you are seeing a facial therapist like I am. I have been going over a year and will continue to do so for awhile longer. I am finally going to talk to the doctor about botox in the chin and maybe other areas but I want to go into this slowly and not too quick. I think others on this forum have seen improvements even beyond 2 years. I think we should never give up and always try to work the facial muscles. Best of luck to you.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 04:43:14 pm »
Hey Angie~
Here is what I think (The World According to Kay):

I think that if you have ABSOLUTELY no movement in that first year, you probably aren't going to get it (like w/me), BUT if you have ANY movement at all, then it can continue improving for a long time to come.  I have heard of people getting more movement with time...IF they had any...(does that make sense?).  I don't know about Nancy, if she had ANY movement at first or not.  Nancy, where are you??

Just MY take on it... ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

michela

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 12:10:07 am »
Hi!
I had some little movement; I could close my eye but it improved in the first week after the income of paralysis and after that I had nothing more than a quite nice simmetry at rest. So, after the EMG, doctors told me to have a graft. I think that you know if you are improving. If your improvements stops for at least 11 months, you can think about surgery. That's my experience :D

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:58:27 pm »
According to the PT I am seeing for facial retraining, it could take up to two years.  But what I am doing now is retraining my brain to deal with the synkinesis.  Your situation was much the same as mine.  Stretched nerve.  Some movement.  Synkinesis.  My PT is very hopeful because there was some movement.  But she predicted 18 months of PT before recovery.  And, she is recommending Botox at my one years surgery anniversary.  She wants to hold off until then when I've had the opportunity to let my exercises work.  My eye has improved -- I'm know looking for more little signs.

I know it's frustrating since the original prognosis was measured in months.  Now it's measured in years.  I'm guessing yours was the same.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

matti

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:14:25 pm »
My doctors told me that the facial nerve can take up to 5 years to heal.  I am living proof at the 8 year mark to have improvement and now at the 10 year mark, have developed new areas of synkenisis.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 07:06:38 pm »
Angie,

I had my facial nerve intact after surgery, but absolutely no movement.  I got my first minute movement at 3 months post op.  After a year and half I seemed to speed up in my gaining of movement.  Now I'm at 3 months short of 3 years.  I can make a fairly decent smile even if it isn't as big as before.  I have to work at keeping my face symmetrical, but I can do it.  Just today I was laughing and my son said I had more wrinkles on that side.  Sometimes it's good to get more wrinkle.  lol  I think recovery can go on for a long time.  I hope that your face will also continue to improve.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

calimama

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 07:17:49 pm »
I just had to post about Jean's email and wrinkles. I just had surgery 20 days ago, i have paralysis on the left (expected to be temporary) and i find it quite amazing that all of my wrinkles and creases are gone on that side! even the lines on my upper lip.

If only i could erase all the lines, but keep all the movement!

HANGING IN THERE.... BENT BUT NOT BROKEN.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Chambo

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 03:50:38 am »
I AM 1 YEAR POST OP FROM A STRETCHED FACIAL NERVE--TOTALLY INTACT AND EMG SHOWS THAT IT IS REGENERATING BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT WHAT I GET AT 1 YEAR IS IT. HAVE YOU HEARD THIS AND IS IT TRUE? I HAD TOTAL FACIAL PARALYSIS AND NOW HAVE SMALL MOVEMENT BUT LOTS OF SYNKINESIS. THERAPIST SAID LAST WEEK THAT WE WILL HAVE TO BOTOX THE DIMPLE IN THE CHIN AND BOTOX THE MUSCLE IN THE NECK BECAUSE IT IS MAKING MOVEMENTS DIFFICULT (LIKE TUG OF WAR WITH THE MUSCLES) AND HARD TO STRENGTHEN WITH EXERCISES UNTIL WE GET THIS UNDER CONTROL. ANY ADVICE FROM THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD ALREADY? KAY-HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL. WILL TRY TO CALL YOU LATER IN THE WEEK.
ANGIE/CROOKEDSMILE

Hey Angie,

I am now 2 years post op and am finally feeling back to my old self despite some residual paralysis (forehead is now just starting to get going) and synkenisis (although this has improved out of sight recently; the dimple on the chin has reduced big time).

I thought after 12 months that was it. Especially considering my Docs said all would be good after 3 mths. In hindsight I reckon they were saying that movement would "commence" after 3 mths which was true. Anyway, things from the 12 to 24 mth mark have been significant. I went on my Honeymoon recently and for the first time since surgery was smiling confidently in photos.

Hang in there - i reckon come 24 mths you'll be 200% better. My PT and ENT surgeon were stoked with my improvement when I saw them both last week.

All will be good.

Cheers

Simon
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:41 pm »
CHAMBO,
THANKS FOR YOUR INSPIRING WORDS. DID YOU HAVE TOTAL PARALYSIS AFTER SURGERY?

Chambo

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:27:27 pm »
CHAMBO,
THANKS FOR YOUR INSPIRING WORDS. DID YOU HAVE TOTAL PARALYSIS AFTER SURGERY?

Sure did - kicked in about 2-3 days after surgery. Docs said definitely "temp" - they were right about that but i thought 3 mths. Confident of 95%... nah bugger that, 100% recovery! hehe
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978