Author Topic: Surgery scheduled for Monday, June 30th  (Read 10811 times)

lori67

Re: Surgery scheduled for Monday, June 30th
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 12:30:42 pm »
Denise -

Thanks for the update.  I've got a nice mental picture of Julie with the "gel" in her hair!   :D

I didn't have any pain (that I can remember anyway) after surgery, but I would suggest - MORE drugs!   No reason to be in pain if you don't have to be, so if the nurses and docs offer them - take them!  In a few days, she hopefully won't even need them anymore.

Tell her to hang in there!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2008, 12:44:40 pm »
Denise:

Thanks for the prompt update.  Good news really does travel fast!  ;)

I'm sorry Julie is in some pain but the medicinal drugs should help and it should subside, soon.  Still, she is otherwise doing well and as Steve stated: "the first 3 days post-op don't count"...an astute observation for a guy that didn't have surgery...and well put.  :)

I'm sure we'll be seeing Julie's posts here soon but until then, tell her we appreciate your updates.  She has a real friend in you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2008, 02:55:06 pm »
as Steve stated: "the first 3 days post-op don't count"...an astute observation for a guy that didn't have surgery

You know, I noticed that too  ::)  ;D

Denise -

I hope Julie continues to feel better every day.  And yes, please stress that she's only to take "medicinal" drugs.  We don't want to be accused of not just saying NO!   ;D  PS - Lori, I'm shocked by your behavior!  :o LOL

Jan
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:21:42 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

windy

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008, 09:26:15 pm »
I have just now read Julie's post.  Denise, I am so glad she is doing well and her facial nerve is intact.  I hope she continues to do well.  I will say a prayer for her for a speedy recovery with no complications!
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 05:43:17 am »
Glad to hear her surgery went well and that she is on the road to recovery.  Take it one day at a time Julie.  I'm happy you have had a good outcome and I know the road may seem a long, slow one, I pray you heal fast!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 08:21:48 am »
Hi Denise - and Julie (you postie, you!)

First of all, so glad Julie is doing well and that the surgeon's did such a good job!  Best advice on pain is to let the nurses know, and be as specific as possible - they will be able to treat accordingly.  I remember being in all sorts of pain the first few days, but then everythiing got better quickly.  If she has a big gauze "bonnet" on, it is possible that it is causing some additional pain because it is a pressure dressing and is, therefore, really tight.  Mine hurt both of my ears like the devil! 

In addition to pain meds, she might also try slow deep breathing (think yoga).  It may sound silly, but it really does help on pain management.  It also has the added advantage of helping get some of the anesthesia out of her lungs, too.  The key is to breath slowly and very, very deeply. 

Hopefully by today, Julie's pain will be subsiding.  Give her three cheers and lots of hugs!

Debbi in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com