Author Topic: Prednisone  (Read 5727 times)

Mickey

Prednisone
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:11:24 am »
Just finished a short stint with this steriod for ear clog, and diminished hearing. Seems like all is much better even than before! Maybe I`m jumping the gun a liitle and should give it more time before I`m too optimistic? Have next mri and audio test  in a couple of months. Lets see what happens waitin and watchin. Mickey

lori67

Re: Prednisone
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:19:21 am »
Hi Mickey.

Glad you had some good results from the prednisone.  Can't hurt to be optimistic, right?  If you've already got your tests scheduled then it's probably best not to loose too much sleep worrying about it.  Hopefully, the prednisone will do the trick and everything will stay just fine!  I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Mickey

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:16:19 am »
Thanks Lori! Got alot to say coming in Oct. 25th with ANA New Jersey.  Neuromoincs is another which I`m experimenting with and so far so good. Just trying to get all thats out there on the boards like so many others which may be helpful to all. Glad your doin well! Always the best, Mickey

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 01:54:41 pm »
Mickey -

glad to hear the clogged ear and hearing is better.  Thanks for the update  ;D

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:34:22 pm »
Prednisone caught my eye.  I am W & W and considering GK if it comes to it.  I can't take steriods, particularily Prednisone, because they send me into a severe depression.  Almost wanted to kill myself after taking Prednisone once even though I just took it for a couple of days.  It took me weeks before I got my depression under control.  Is there anything else they can give to reduce swelling.  I haven't discussed this issue with my doctor because it has never come up.  Thanks.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

mk

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:45:20 pm »
Just finished a short stint with this steriod for ear clog, and diminished hearing. Seems like all is much better even than before! Maybe I`m jumping the gun a liitle and should give it more time before I`m too optimistic? Have next mri and audio test  in a couple of months. Lets see what happens waitin and watchin. Mickey

Mickey,

Prednisone did wonders for me too. I experienced sudden hearing loss back in December, where in a period of 12 hours I lost pretty much all of my hearing. I contacted my neurosurgeon who expected that something like this might happen (I was already diagnosed with the AN), and he sent me to the ENT right away. The hearing test confirmed severe hearing loss and virtually no word recognition. He prescribed a very high dose of prednisone (50 mg if I recall well). Initially I didn't want anything to do with steroids, but I guess I didn't have a choice. Presto, within the first week some hearing came back and after two weeks, I was back to 100%. I haven't had another episode since. So, it does work  :) I was lucky that I tolerated it well, no side effects, other than some night sweats. I still have another prescription, just in case ...

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

lholl36233

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 07:25:03 pm »
Prednisone helped me with my initial moderate to severe hearing loss in May.
My ENT didn't feel the need to follow up with additional hearing tests.
In June, I felt the congestion in the affected ear coming back after being off the drug for a few weeks.  I got a new prescription July 11 and I feel it is again improving.

I'm anxious for my upcoming audiology appointment to see if there is confirmed improvement...
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

marymomof3

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 09:23:45 pm »
Mickey - so glad to hear the prednisone works well for you!
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

mk

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 05:51:06 pm »
Prednisone caught my eye.  I am W & W and considering GK if it comes to it.  I can't take steriods, particularily Prednisone, because they send me into a severe depression.  Almost wanted to kill myself after taking Prednisone once even though I just took it for a couple of days.  It took me weeks before I got my depression under control.  Is there anything else they can give to reduce swelling.  I haven't discussed this issue with my doctor because it has never come up.  Thanks.  Nancy

Nancy,

my understanding is that steroids are not necessary after GK. At least this is what I was told, that different centres have different practices. The Toronto GK centre does not routinely prescribe steroids after treatment. In my case I only got a single dose of steroids by IV, right after treatment, but my understanding is that sometimes they don't even do that. So you might want to ask the doctors at the centre where you may be potentially treated. Also the doctors at the Cyberknife forum will be able to comment on this.
Of course, as you already know, steroids may be needed afterwards if swelling causes severe problem. I also heard from many people that they have used ibuprophen to relieve mild swelling symptoms and it helps. There is a natural product, curcumine, that supposedly stimulates natural steroid production and is antiinflammatory. Tumbleweed may be able to comment more on this.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 06:03:28 pm »
Good info Marianna.  I guess since I am not to a treatment point yet, I shouldn't worry so much but always good to think ahead, I guess.  I actually did mention the steriod factor to the psych doc who treats my mood disorder, and he said that steriod treatment would be an issue that will need to be explored should I need something for swelling.  I would hate to go through what I went through with that one episode of using Prednisone.  It almost gives me more chills than the AN.  No, maybe not that much, but close.  Thanks for your reply.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs