Author Topic: need a NICE eye patch! beige? white? cute!  (Read 16319 times)

calimama

need a NICE eye patch! beige? white? cute!
« on: June 22, 2008, 01:47:06 pm »
I had surgery 20 days ago and poor ole left eye wont close and worse, i have double vision!

I have been using a black eye patch i bought at the drug store. The "cup" fits well and is vinyl (i think) so it keeps the light out well, however the thing is so ugly. It is black (cup and elastic) and the elastic is too tight (i dont think my head is SO big!?). MY hubbie took a second one and cut the elastic and made the string less tight, this helps, but the whole thing really looks bad and is right on my face. Since i think i will be using this for a few months i would love to find something a little less... obvious. I asked the opthamologist (nothing) and called a bunch of optomestrists and optical places. NO luck.

Anyone know of any where in US? Perhaps i could order something online...

thanks!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
Re: need a NICE eye patch! beige? white? cute!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:39:25 pm »
Trish,

I too had an eye that wouldn't close for a while and had to go around like a pirate. My surgeon's office gave me a clear colored patch as well as a black one. I'm not sure what part of the country you are in but OSU Medical Center here in Columbus, OH had all the stuff that I needed to get over the hump. I'd wake up and my eye felt like I had soap in my eye. The drying effect made it burn and feel sensitive to everything. Best wishes in recovery. -Bucko
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

calimama

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:20:22 pm »
Hey Bucko...

Thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear there is SOMETHING else out there, but i am in Canada so not sure if they let those things over the border (i sure haven't seen any!!!!!!). I will keep looking and hoping...

Thanks for your reply!

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:37:47 pm »
Mr. Google suggests:

Eye Patch Heaven has lots of colorful patterns:
http://www.eyepatchheaven.com/index.htm

SightConnection carries ultra-suede eye patches:
http://www.sightconnection.com/eyepatches.html

Or try the one-use stick on type in packs of 20 (band aid color):
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=12421&catid=44621

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 08:58:05 pm »
Who knew there was an eye patch heaven?

When I first saw the subject of this post, I thought I had accidently logged onto E-bay!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:06:23 pm »
Wow, Steve!  Eye Patch Heaven - who knew  ???

What a great resource for those who need a patch!  Some very cool designs  8)

Trish should be able to find something here; glad you could help her.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 05:06:19 am »
Steve,

Wow! You and Mr. Google are an incredible resource!  ;D Like I said, you're posts are very informative.  ;) But seriously... who would have even thought of "Eye Patch Heaven"  ??? You haven't found a "tinnitus heaven" have you?  :D
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 08:59:12 am »
I think that would be more of a "Tinnitus Heck".  Don't want to use the original word I was thinking for fear of forcing Phyl to stop eating her bon bons and relaxing with her feet on the desk to whack me with a virtual ruler.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:51:31 am »
Lori -

I for one, would pay money to see you whacked with a virtual ruler  :D

Phyl, where are you ???

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 11:05:32 am »
Way to go sunny deposition Steve!
That is awesome… Google king. ;) ;D 8)

Does this mean that the “drunken sailors in the wind wearing pirate patches club� is now obsolete? :'(

Daisy Head Maizy

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 11:09:53 am »
Lori -

I for one, would pay money to see you whacked with a virtual ruler  :D

Phyl, where are you ???

Jan

*runs in, whacks Jan with virtual ruler.....*   :o  :o  :o

OOOPS! Wrong target! Sowwy!  ;D

*runs back out*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 12:09:49 pm »
Aw, Jan... I feel your pain... :D

I guess all that ducking and weaving I've practiced in my years in the medical field have paid off!  Either that or Phyl is just not good at aiming!   ;)

Lori

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 12:18:28 pm »
Aw, Jan... I feel your pain... :D

I guess all that ducking and .....

did you say Duck, duck, duck, duck..... GOOSE!
*runs up behind Lori and gooses her!*

(ok, back on topic you all!)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 12:31:06 pm »
Oh, now Jan is going to be in pain - AND jealous!   :o

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 02:04:05 pm »
Thanks for the "whack" Phyl - I'm sure I deserve it for something  ;)

And Lori - just how can you "feel my pain"?  Isn't your head still numb?  LOL

Jan