Author Topic: Future MRI's  (Read 5982 times)

Jackie

Future MRI's
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:05:32 am »
Hi All my fellow Aner's,

Just wondering if all future MRI's should be done with contrast??? I know initially it should be, but wondered if that little injection can be a hazard to our health?? Anyone care to comment since my next MRI is sceduled for July 6th, and I am not sure if it has been oredered with or without contrast, but will make a recommendation after I hear what you all have to say!
Thanks in advance for your wisdom............
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Mickey

Re: Future MRI's
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:33:08 am »
Hi Jackie! My Dr. insists on with contrast. I do an open mri and all goes well. They can get a better read with contrast. Good Luck, Mickey

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:50:55 pm »
Hi, Jackie:

Because contrast clearly shows the AN, it would seem as if a doctor would want it used to highlight any possible growth. I would ask for it - or at least ask the doctor's office if the MRI was ordered with contrast.  If not, tell them you want it and check with the MRI facility to be sure that on your appointment, it shows that contrast was ordered.  Just a suggestion.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 01:02:24 pm »
Jackie -

I think many places are doing a blood test prior to the MRI with contrast.  I've heard some do it routinely, and others do it only if you have a history of liver and kidney problems or if you've had any abnormal lab results on your most recent round of labwork.  I think if everything is working properly, then the small amount of dye they use will be cleaned our of your system with no lasting side effects.  It's people who don't have properly working "plumbing" that may not be able to get all the dye out of their systems.

I think, like most medical procedures, the benefit of the dye outweighs the risks.  I'd ask your doctor his thoughts.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:36:15 pm »
Jackie -

from what I understand contrast is necessary to have an accurate result. 

Most places these days do blood tests - specifically BUN and creatinine which measure kidney function - prior to MRIs with contrast.

I had my first post op MRI in April and about 2 hours prior to being put into the "tube" I had my blood drawn so they'd have the test results before they did the MRI with gadolinium.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sheryl

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 08:56:10 am »
After having many, many head MRI's (both husband and myself) over the past six years, they have recently started asking us about kidney problems.  If we answer "no problems", no further testing is necessary.  This past winter Decadron caused temporary kidney problems in my husband which had resolved by his MRI a few weeks ago.  Because he had put down he HAD a problem, they insisted on two kidney function tests before the MRI.  An hour and a half later, they came back normal and the MRI proceeded.  It seems that they found in people with kidney problems the gadolinium can exacerbate the situation.  Anyone with normal kidney function testing or no problems with their kidneys, can tolerate and excrete the contrast dye without a problem.  Scary how they are finding these things out as they go along - what will come up next????
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Sheryl

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 08:57:56 am »
P.S.  - I completely agree with the posters above that contrast is necessary to view the tumor completely and get more accurate results.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Jackie

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 09:16:03 am »
Jan, Jim, Lori, and all you wonderful, wisdom-filled friend,

Thank-you for your replies. I have emailed my Doctor, to request that the July 6th MRI be with contrast. I await his reply. Thanks again for all of your input, it means a great deal. How very fortunate for us all to have each other to seek advice and help, and know that we all care so much about each others plight.
Sending you all hugs and appreciation!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Derek

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 02:29:07 pm »
Hi Jackie...

I raised this query with Dr Medbery on the CKPSG site and he confirmed that an injected enhancement dye during an MRI scan would only be of concern when there is a kidney problem apparent.

I am subject to annual MRI scans with enhancement dye added as part of my 'watch & wait' routine and whilst I thankfully do not have any kidney related health problems, I am somewhat surprised that the radiographers have never queried whether I have any kidney related health aspects.

Regards

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

rezski

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 10:44:13 am »
My last digital scan was done without contrast re Dr. backous.  My be it shows uo ok on digital?  All of my preveous ones were with contrast.
Caroline
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 05:05:37 pm »
Rezski.....did you ever go and see Sandra Vermulen? She was/is my CK dr and is wonderful....
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

GRACE1

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 10:22:32 am »
I was born with only 1 kidney, so the contrast is always an issue with me.  Thanks to the wonderful radiologists at Emory Hospital in Atlanta, I  recently found out that the contrast can be diluted at times and that you should be hydrated (flushed out with fluid through the IV) after the CT or MRI.  I always ask if the contrast is necessary - which it is many times. 
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16