Author Topic: ANYONE ELSE GETTING FACIAL RETRAINING DONE IN NASHVILLE (VANDERBILT)?  (Read 3108 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

I HAD MY FIRST THERAPY SESSION LAST WEEK. DROVE 6 HOURS FROM ARKANSAS AND MY THERAPY LASTED 1 HOUR THE FIRST DAY AND 30 MINUTES THE NEXT. IS THIS TYPICAL? DOESN'T SEEM THOROUGH ENOUGH FOR ME CONSIDERING HOW FAR I DROVE. I SEE CATHEY NORTON. DUE TO GO BACK IN AUGUST FOR BOTOX CLINIC.

lori67

As a matter of fact, I saw Cathy too.  I think she's great.

I haven't gone in a while because I am a PT also, so once I knew what I needed to do, I was pretty much able to do it without having to drive downtown. (even though it's not nearly as far for me!).  They also had some problems with their front desk staff earlier this year and trying to get an appointment was just not worth the hassle.  I hope they've straightened that mess out.

She had suggested Botox for me also, but my surgeon initially didn't think it was a good idea.  Now that I have the dimple thing going in my chin, he thinks it might be a benefit for that muscle, but not for the cheek muscle she had suggested.  Seems like everyone has a different opinion on it.  I am going to hold off on it because I'm just not sure right now.  I'm also considering the nerve jump surgery, so, we'll see where we go with that.

Your first appointment is usually longer because they have to do an initial evaluation, which just takes longer.  Once she has a treatment plan in place after meeting with you, it doesn't usually take that long.  We did a lot of biofeedback and tested my facial function with the surface EMG.  It was probably about 30 - 45 minutes a session.  It really depends on the individual - you don't want to work the muscles so much that they get fatigued and then start not functioning properly.  And unfortunately, your muscles don't seem to care if you drove across the country - they do what they want, when they want.  Stubborn things!

I hope you have some good results, and let me know when you're in town again - maybe we can meet for lunch or something!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CROOKEDSMILE

Hi Lori,
I understand the muscle thing not caring about the distance. They are stubborn little things. The reason that I ask is because I spoke to Jackie Diehls-THE facial expert in Wisconsin and for her out of towners she gives an intense training session of approx. 6 hours over 2-3 days. I got 1 1/2 hours in 2 days so it made me wonder if I was doing myself a disservice. I've been a registered nurse over 13 years and understand the importance of therapy whether it be at home or one on one with the therapist BUT this was my first visit and my mom and I were surprised that the sessions were so short. I have another call placed to Jackie Diehls and will probably fly out to see her soon just to see how the therapy differs.
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light!

Cheryl R

How long Jackie sees you depends on how much help you need.      I saw her in 2002 which was a year after my surgery but my problem was just the tightness and synkinesis.     I only had to see her for one morning session.                  I could probably go back one more time as in 2006 I had a facial neuroma and nerve graft and look ok at rest but have poor movement but no droop.        She is so nice.
I have heard her talk about some of what you have.             I know we keep mentioning the
www.bellspalsy.ws         in which she has written some about alll of this.
I know I am not of much help for the answers you want.                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember Cathy trained under Jackie - I'd ask Cathy if I were you.  It might save you a trip to Wisconsin.  And besides, I can't meet you for lunch in Wisconsin!   :D

Maybe you can ask Jackie over the phone if she feels that what Cathy did was enough for your situation.  It's a tough situation because, as we've all heard and said before, everyone really is so different that our care has to be individualized.  I don't think there's one cookbook solution to our range of unusual problems.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.