Author Topic: Syl's surgery update  (Read 28448 times)

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
Re: Syl's surgery update
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 03:19:31 pm »
Syl,
I'm so glad you are a postie now!!  Doesn't it feel good to have it over with?
Sounds like you did great.  Tell Jessika thanks for keeping us updated.  She did a great job!
That is great news that your facial muscles are fine, and also your hearing.
Our prayers were answered.
Sounds like you made the right decision at the last minute on the kind of surgery to have.
You are sounding good for only being 5 days out!
My surgery is in 5 days!  I hope I do as good as you did.
Congratulations!!!!!
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 04:45:07 pm »
Pooter had a frame and is SSD.  Syl had a frame and isn't.

Jim and I didn't have frames and we both are SSD.

So, it sounds to me like a head frame during retrosigmoid surgery doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not your hearing is saved.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 05:34:28 pm »
Syl -
Great to see you back!  I was glad to hear yoru surgery went so well and that they were able to preserve your hearing too.  That is truly great news!!!!  Hope your recovery continues to go smoothly,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 05:35:06 pm »
Jan - It doesn't make a difference on SSD or not, but it sounds like some doctors like the added comfort that there won't be any sudden movement during the surgery.  It sounds like some like it and some don't.  

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 05:44:35 pm »
Gotcha Brian  :)  I didn't think it made a difference, but I was a little confused by Steve's post.  Use of a head frame definitely sounds like a "surgeon's preference" thing.

But now you've got me wondering  ???  just how common is sudden movement by a patient who is under general anesthesia  ???  I can see it being a concern during conscious sedation, but with general anesthesia the patient should be totally "under".  Guess I'll have to ask some of the folks I work with since they administer anesthesia for a living.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2008, 11:46:37 am »
Syl-

So GLAD you are back - and that your surgery produced such a great outcome!!  i now you were worried about the facial nerve (I think it's a big concern to most of us) and how wonderful that the surgeons managed not to irritate it!!  Also wonderful news that you seem to have preserved hearing!  Guess the dizziness will pass in time, hopefully quickly.  Meanwhile, I'm impressed that you are already online and posting.

Continuing to send you healing thoughts and all good things...

Debbi - thrilled for you!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

shirley

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 04:57:07 pm »
Hi, sylvia, how are you doing?   just got back from reno & can't find your cell. I will call mary & get it. shirley

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 05:14:18 pm »
Hello fellow forumites,

I'm 10 days post-op and went on my first outing to see the dr and get my staples removed since I got home from the hospital. Though I left my walker at home, I'm still walking like a drunk, but walking, nontheless, with a little help.

Haven't been able to sleep straight through the night since my surgery and haven't been able to take as many naps as I know I should be getting. Part of the reason is that I just can't get my head in a comfortable position to rest. The AN side of my head hurts or feels pressure and wakes me up.

I'll go try taking a nap now.

Til next time

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 06:23:35 pm »
Welcome to Postie-land, Syl!  I'm glad to see ya up and about.  Walking like a drunk and everthing else will pass in time.  Nice to have ya back here!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 06:43:22 pm »
Syl -

as Brian said, things will get better in time.  Your recovery sounds like it's right on target.

My surgery was a little over a year ago, and I still am unable to get comfortable enough to sleep at times. 

Your walking should improve over time.  Ten days post op isn't that long; have patience  ;)

Jan

Syl

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 02:29:33 pm »
Hello my dear fellow forumites,

Today I began working on the balance exercises Dr. Kato gave me. They're not easy, but after doing some of them, which included walking up and down stairs, I was able to walk up and down stairs on my own with confidence, though still feeling like a drunk.

I've been eager to step outside and get some fresh air and exercise, but the air quality has been rated as unhealthy for everyone due to so many fires all over Northern California. So I have opted to postpone unnecessary outings until the air clears up--it could be a while.

Happy to be in postieland
Syl

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2008, 04:58:49 am »
May your healing continue on a forward path and sounds as if you are on your way to a more "balanced" life--wonderful news!  I remember the exercises well and even though they weren't fun on the first or second try, they did get better.  I continue with them about three times a week, takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.  Remember to rest afterwards to bring the head and neck muscles back to a relaxed state keeping the tension-type pain to a minimum.  You are progressing better than I did post surgery being able to read and type on this forum. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2008, 08:50:38 am »
Hi Syl-

Glad to hear you are moving about - that definitely helps.  I have to laugh sometimes now when I go up and down the stairs - when I think back to my first week or two at home when I had to clutch both railings, not look down, stop on each step...  I don't even use the railings most of the time now.

Don't know what kind of pillows you have, but I found that goose down has been the only thing I can really sleep on.  It is very soft against the side of my head where the incision is, so it doesn't really create any pressure.  I have a foam contour pillow, but can't use it all because it is just too uncomfortabel on the incision.  You may want to try down and see if it feels any better.  Also, if you are still on steroids, they do make it hard to sleep.

Keep taking taps whenever you can.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2008, 10:28:15 pm »
Syl,
Glad to hear you are doing so well in your recovery.  I have to agree with Debbi about steroids having been on two prednisone tapers, it did makek sleeping for any length of time difficult.  If you are still taking them, I'm sure this will improve when they are discontinued.  I hope you continue ot have an otherwise fantastic and speedy recovery.  I'm sendiing healing thoughts your way!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Syl

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 11:45:38 am »
Steroids? I forgot all about the steriods. What exactly are those for? All I've been taking was the rx pain meds, which I stopped taking after day 2 in the hospital, and stool softener, which I also took briefly. For pain I use OTC Tylenol once or twice a day. I don't think I ever got steroids.

Syl