Author Topic: Just before falling asleep  (Read 16809 times)

coffeylady

Just before falling asleep
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:29:41 am »
OK - Has this happened to anyone else?

I am just drifting off to sleep and all of a sudden I have this (the only way I can describe is) Flash of noise (in both ears) and then it is quiet - it startles me and then I try to fall asleep again!  I don't know if this is related to my AN or if it is my body relaxing entirely -    ???

Anyone ???

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Just before falling asleep
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:03:02 pm »
Sorry, never had this.  It sounds very strange, though.

Did you notice this happening before you were diagnosed with your AN?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:20:10 pm »
Coffee Lady,  I love coffee! :D 

In the beginning of my recovery I had frequent falling asleep episodes.  I heard noise like a door slamming loudly, or a loud thump as if somebody dropped something.  A few times I got up a searched the house.  I was spooked by this but it went away.  Also, I had nerve twitches that would cause my whole body to jerk as if I was falling off a surface.  I was concerned that I was having seizures and would have complained to my doctor but the episodes became progressively less as I started sleeping on my side. 

I think all of it, the sounds and muscle movement was related to the post op brain response to hearing and vestibular losses (the trauma).  I have seen small babies jerk like this in response to very tiny stimuli...but don't know if this is a simiilarity or relationship to my post op episodes.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 06:58:08 pm by Boppie »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:21:17 pm »
Nope...never experienced this.  Let's see if anyone else can shed some light on this or if it's unique to you, which I suspect may be the case.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

er

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 01:33:17 pm »
hello coffeylady,
 I'm with Boppie, But I figure it is because we have lost the hearing of one ear the other sences get sharper.
eve

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 03:25:31 pm »
So weird that you bring this up, I've noticed something here lately just as I'm about to fall asleep, like a very quick electric impulse/sound in my ear(s) or something.  It doesn't last, but, of course the ringing never, never stops.  I'm going to pay attention the next few nights and see if I can better describe it and get back to you.

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:09:21 pm »
not sure if we have similar symptoms, but i do have a quick "zap" of static sound in both ears like i got zapped by electricity - this could be triggered on its own or by a slight noise in the room and sometimes this is followed by a quick "flash" in my eyes.  i was told it was residual impluses from the hearing nerve.  hope this helps.
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

shygirl

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 09:45:05 pm »
Coffeylady,

I'm 10 mos post op and have LOUD "white noise" in my AN ear. After surgery, as I was drifting off to sleep, I would hear sounds like something fell off a shelf. I would get up and look all over, but there wasn't anything on the floor or out of place. This still happens to me almost every night, but now I don't get up! My Dr couldn't explain it either. It's just one of those little mysteries.

Shye
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 10:12:53 pm »
This happens to me!!!!  I have only noticed it after surgery and only on the AN side.  I have no clue what it is--but I'm so glad I'm not alone :D

That is bizzare that you posted this---but I'm so glad I saw it :)  I wish I had more insight for you (and me ;)).
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

coffeylady

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 05:01:25 pm »
Thank you all so much for responding - I have not had my trans lab surgery yet, it is scheduled for July 14th.

Oh my gosh - I have also had the flash in my eyes!!!  I am so glad that you brought it up. 

I have had the hardest time trying to explain this. It is nice to know that I am not alone !!!  I feel so much better  ;D

Sharon

BTW - Having the last name Coffey has its perks  ;D

jlamborn

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 07:09:37 pm »
I've got that exact thing drifting off at bedtime, but mine started after my trans-lab surgery after the nerves were cut.  Mine is a "tea-kettle steam" sound.  I can even be drowsy in the tub and a drop of water from the tub faucet hits and I get the same sound again, and it's definitely coming from the deaf ear.  Thought I was going nuts.  Glad to hear I'm not alone! :D
Jean
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 10:17:36 pm »
BTW - Having the last name Coffey has its perks  ;D

Love your sense of humor, Sharon  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 10:24:09 pm »
mine also started after the surgery and they also cut my hearing and balance nerves - it started about 2-3 weeks after the surgery and kinda tapered off after 3 months or so.  I still get that zapping/misfiring sound but less of the flash in the eyes.  REALLY glad i was not the only one experiencing this, guess i am not crazy after all  :o
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 11:02:31 pm »
Got the old electric jolt blues as well ;D.  Back when I was a kid they were called rushes.  Now they're just weird old things that scare me awake.  I am thinking they are good nerve things that mean my messed up nerves are coming back to life.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 04:58:52 am »
Sometimes I hear crackly noises like crumpling up a potato chip bag... seems to come from base of neck...
or maybe described better as static electricity type noise like when you pull something out of the dryer...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery