Author Topic: Anyone have numb head?  (Read 10229 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Anyone have numb head?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 08:43:37 am »
Yep, numb head, numb ear, numb face...  What's odd though is that I have little spots on my head that are very sensitive and tender.  I can feel my hair being tugged, but can't really feel touch.  Such strange sensations. 

sure wish I couldn't feel that darned stiff neck, though!

Debbi - her numbness
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 09:04:43 am »
I was a numb skull for the longest time!!!  Now I'm a numb skull for a bit after I receive a nerve block for my scar neuroma.

I can't seem to find a happy medium :'(

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 03:18:40 pm »
When the numb feeling went away, that's when my neck started hurting....worse feeling than a numb head.  The occipital nerve block made my neck stop hurting immediately and the numbness returned.  My Neurologist said I could get a nerve block once a month but the first one lasted about 6 weeks before I needed another one. 

All of our AN journeys are different but it is great to have this support group.  We know we are not alone and others know exactly how we feel which brings comfort to me.  Thanks to all posties  :D
Jean
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 12:31:30 am »
Have you never done that, Steve?  We have that in Texas...   ;D

K

Well Thank Goodness somebody knew what I was talking about!!  It's easier to show somebody than to tell them how to do it, I guess.  Yeah, Steve, come on over to Vancouver...we have a swell time over here! HA ;D 

Sue, still in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

claire1

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 09:56:10 pm »
Hi All
Well, I guess I'm the new post op here,6 days, and yes My skull is numb all over.  It does feel wierd,Jim, in a strange way.  I was also wondering how long it would last and by reading all the post ,I guess I found out. It doesn't hurt unless I scratch to hard. Then it sends ,like ,an electric shock wave through the area.
Interesting though
Take Care
Claire

survivor

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 11:39:22 am »
:)Yes, I was first diagnosed AN, then surgeon said Meningioma. Actually from reading everything on AN, it
describes me exactly. Surgery in March 1995. Deaf in left ear and yes numbness on left side. I take Neurontin for headaches and
that was my biggest pain. My occipital nerve was damaged. I wasn't told size of tumor, but to be connected to meninges and
leaning on brain stem, it had to be large. I passed a blood clot to my spinal column and was in ICU for 8 days. I was 61 years old
when I had the surgery, but PRAISE THE LORD!!!, through prayers all over the USA, I'm a survivor.
Has anyone on this forum had scull left out where tumor was? I'm so thankful I found this web sight. I'm not alone!! Thanks

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 01:32:19 pm »
Survivor -

you are NOT alone - the majority of us are survivors, too  ;D

I had retrosigmoid surgery last year and although my skull was cut open (craniectomy) the docs filled my head with fat from my abdomen and put that and some titanium mesh in the hole.  Then they replaced the section of my skull that they had cut away and screwed it back with some titanium screws.  There's a titanium plate in my head somewhere also - I think it's between the belly fat and the section of skull that was replaced. 

You have been through a lot and although you weren't old at the time of your surgery, you certainly weren't a kid either ;)

God Bless You,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 02:10:52 pm »
Hi Survivor.

Yes, I have a missing piece of skull too - behind my ear.  I got the lovely belly fat shoved in there, but no mesh or screws or anything else.  I think you and I are two of the oldest people with "soft spots"!  I guess they aren't just for babies anymore!

I feel the need to give my hairdresser an extra tip for having to put up with the soft spots, scars and metal things sticking out of my head!  I'm sure they didn't have anything like that in beauty school!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 11:26:06 pm »
It's not the numb head that bothers me, it's the numb brain that does.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 07:16:20 am »
Lori~
I guess you are a Numb Skull then???   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 08:52:39 am »
Well, yes, but not in the part that's missing!   ;D  I believe I'm also a fat head.  Among many other things I've been called over the years... :-[

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 01:12:42 pm »
Fat head here, too  ;D

Skull isn't as numb as it used to be though.  I think the lidocaine from my BAHA implant is finally wearing off  ;)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways