Author Topic: Surgery freaks me out  (Read 7481 times)

FlyersFan68

Re: Surgery freaks me out
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 07:57:27 am »
Hi Nancy,
  I know how crazy all this stuff can get. The word tumor freaked me out. Thanks for the nice compliments about those that had surgery are brave. It's true. Nobody really wants any part of surgery. Whoe really wants radiation either. I believe everyone on this board is brave just in different ways. Those that elect radiation fight it out to the end and accept whatever side effects along the way. Wait & Watchers must keep their minds in check and not let it get the best of them. It's a shame that one must even make such decisions. On the day of my surgery I woke up hours later and it was over. Didn't feel a thing and didn't know a thing. Recovery was tough but time does heal. Although these tumors are benign they have a lifelong impact in some form. I just wanted to say good luck to you in whatever you decide. I wish you and everyone here the very best.  Steve

er

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 08:21:35 am »

FlyersFan68 , your quot is very true.
"Although these tumors are benign they have a lifelong impact in some form."
eve

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 08:26:15 am »
I'll certainly second that!!   ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 09:24:54 am »
Steve -

very good post - full of many truths!

Haven't seen you here in a while; hope you're doing well  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

FlyersFan68

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 10:38:56 am »
Thanks Jan,
I just reached my 4 year mark in April. I am scheduled for an MRI in October (been awhile) and will meet with my surgeons then. The last few have been clean. I've seen many posts from you and must commend your advice and compassion towards the newbies. A nice sincere balance is a beautiful thing. Keep up the good work.   :)

lori67

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 12:07:29 pm »
Steve, it has been a while!  Welcome back.  I guess now that hockey season is over....nothing better to do, right?

Lori
p.s.  Sorry, I'm a Devils fan...  :P
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

FlyersFan68

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »
Thanks Lori,
 Any fan of hockey is a fan of mine even if you're a Devil's fan. I see that you had surgery in Nashville. Are you from the New Jersey area? Predators are a good hockey team these days. It's a bummer the Flyers lost but it was an exciting run. I'm just enjoying the Phillies right now.

lori67

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 01:13:49 pm »
Steve,

Yep, grew up in NJ - just temporarily exiled to Nashville thanks to the Navy.  You're right, the Predator's did very well this year.  Must have been because I'm here!   ;D

Of course, that also makes me a Yankee's fan...but my sister and her family who live outside Philly are Philly fans.  I'll be flying over their stadium on the way to the airport on Thursday.  I'll look for you from the plane and wave!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 01:27:56 pm »
Hey guys,  Even though I'm racking up the posts, I do feel like a newbie now that I am in decision mode.  Jan and all of you who post often are a great help.  Just the fact that you (newbies included) take the time to read and post makes a big difference.  Wisdom, encouragement, advice and support are all wonderful things to have at hand, and it is also a comfort to share with those who are going through the "beginning" of this process of learning to deal with their AN.  Yes, I can see now that the AN (no matter what we decide to do with it) will always be a part of us, but I think it is perhaps best to think that it does not "define" who we are.  I have bipolar disorder, and it is helpful for me to know that I am so much more than the lable.  Same way with people who have diabetes, developmental disabilities, cerebal palsy, etc.  Of course, we do have a "club" going on here, and we can stand together and give each other support.  I guess I'll get off my soap box.  Thanks all!  Nancy :)
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

OMG16

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 07:58:05 pm »
Well put Nancy you are not the lable and please do continue anytime with your soap box we have all been there.  I'm very proud of your progress and acceptance of what you are going through.  You should also be proud I believe you will fit in here very well.  If you read my signature line I too agree about these things not defining who you are.  Kisses to your forehead.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

lori67

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 10:57:11 am »
Nancy - you can get on your soap box anytime you like.  Just be careful - this little club's balance isn't so great!   :D

I hope you are able to get all the wisdom and support you need to make your decision.  I know there's plenty of both around here!

Good luck! 
Lori