Author Topic: Can you hear me now?  (Read 15224 times)

lori67

Can you hear me now?
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:44:44 am »
Jan - congratulations on BAHA-gotcha day!

I know you'll love it and you'll quickly learn to turn it off when the kids ask you for something expensive.   ;D

Enjoy and take some time to listen to the birds sing today! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

Re: Can you hear me now?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:53:34 pm »
Lori~
I bet Jan is out listening to the birdies and all the other wonderful noises NOW so that when she goes home she can pretend to be deaf again so she doesn't have to listen to her kids fight...maybe hers don't do that...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 03:59:44 pm »
This is the 2nd time I'm going to attempt to post.  I had a response all written, but pushed the wrong key and deleted it - I HATE when that happens!!!  Obviously my processor hasn't made me any smarter   :D

Before I start my play-by-play, let me state for the record that my kids fight all the time.  I find that with twins, they are either totally co-dependent or compete constantly (as in, "mom likes me best") and as mine grow older, they definitely fall into the latter category  ::)

I did take time today to listen to the birds, a water fountain, and several airplanes.  I got out of the doc's earlier than I expected and had time to kill, so I enjoyed the sounds and the nice warm sun in the outside grotto.  It sounds very hokey, but I felt like a whole new woman - I don't know if it was the processor or the fact that I wasn't hearing anyone fighting or asking for money.  Peace and quiet are hard to come by  ;)

I think I am going to like the BAHA very much and it will be as amazing as I anticipated.  But there are a couple of things I have to get used to.  #1) putting the device on the abutment.  It's very easy to pop off, but being right handed and putting a tiny little box onto a screw on the left side of my head by feel alone is going to take some practice;  #2) hearing the sound of my own voice every time I speak because it's now broadcast over an itsy-bitsy microphone.  I've flipped the little switch for directionality, but at this point I can hear no difference in how loud I hear my own voice.

Now for details of the "gift pack" - sadly there is no Dawn, but it's actually very impressive:

a lovely oval black covered box to store my processor in when not in use;

a 6-pack of #13 "orange" batteries;

a brown abutment cap (to match my hair and my processor);

a safety - which is basically a fishing wire attached to a collar clip so I don't lose my processor when riding roller coasters or engaging in extreme physical activity - apparently the folks at Cochlear have very high hopes for me  ;)

a really soft blue toothbrush (you were right shygirl) with Cochlear printed on it;

a small jar of "Mini Super Dri-Aid" to take the moisture & condensation out of the processor - when the little beads get old, you can reactivate them in the oven or the microwave  ;D

a little credit card that explains to airport personnel what is implanted into my head (in case the metal detectors go off);

and last, but not least, a hard plastic "thingy" so that others can experience how the BAHA works.  They can plug their ears and have someone hold the "thingy" to the bone behind their ear to get the full effect of the BAHA.  The audiologist said you can also cover the "thingy" with the fingertip of a latex glove and have someone place it between their teeth (instead of on their hearing bone) and they can experience the same thing. 

I also got an instruction manual with instructions written in about 17 different languages; literature about an extended warranty; and a catalog with "accessories" like Ipod adaptors that can be ordered at an additional price.

Although the doc and the audiologist told me a few months ago that they thought the price was "about $2,500" the audiologist told me today it's $3,750.  I'm interested to see how much my insurance will want me to pay.  Regardless of the price, I think it will be well worth it.

BAHA Jan

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:00:25 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:41:23 pm »
Jan~
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for you - might even have to try it for myself.  However, I have had quite enough surgery for this year!!

K    *glad I don't have the only fighting children*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:54:02 pm »
Kaybo -

I totally understand your wanting to take a surgical break and I don't blame you at all  :)

I, myself, hope to be done for at least a few years!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:21:51 pm »
Hi again Jan --
I'm glad to hear you like your BAHA so much so far!  From what I've read about it, it sounds like something I must have if I end up SSD, which now seems even more likely.  Your post made me laugh so hard I almost fell out of my chair!  My younger daughter was sitting on the couch yelling "What's so funny?"  When I finished reading, I had her read it too and she laughed almost as much as me -- especially at the part about Cochlear having high hopes for you.  Lori is right though you'll have to learn to turn it off quickly when the kids start asking for expensive things and money.  Then you can act very innocent and say you didn't hear them.  Anyway, I am so happy for you.  I hope you really enjoy your new accessory.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 07:01:35 pm »
Hey, I didn't get the little credit card thing to explain what's sticking out of my head!!  I will tell you that the abuttment and the processor do not set off the metal detectors at the airports anyway.  And I don't seem to get any better radio reception either... :-\

I'm glad you like your processor so far.  It gets easier to put on the more you do it.  At least mine is on the right and I'm right handed, but since I don't have a lot of feeling on that side of my head, I need to use 2 hands anyway - the left one to feel for the abuttment and the right one to snap it on.

I haven't priced the optional MP3/Ipod attachments yet, but of course my husband thinks that would be cool to have, so I may have to find out the price so he will realize that it's not THAT cool - I'm sure they aren't cheap.

And I'm sure those twins of yours are complete angels who never disagree or talk back.  I know my kids are.  HA HA HA....sorry, I slipped off into dream land for a moment - I snapped back quickly when I heard them having a fierce tug-of-war over a Barbie... like we only have one????? ::)

Looking forward to hearing some funny BAHA stories from you in the future Jan!  I know I've had my share!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 07:13:59 pm »
You know the credit card kind of surprised me too.  We're often talked on the forum about the fact that titanium plates, mesh, and fixtures don't set off metal detectors, yet here's a card directly from Cochlear.  Makes me wonder if maybe they aren't anticipating more intense screening at airports or something  ??? The card is actually cool - I'll show you mine at the symposium or if we meet up in NJ.  It's got two pictures on one side - one of someone's head that shows the abutment without the processor and one with the processor attached.  It's very nicely done - in color; mostly yellow and red.  Pretty eye catching ;) It says something about the abutment being "non-removable".  The other side is just a written explanation I think.

The processor actually reminds me of a radio attached to my head - but it doesn't play music. 

I'm hoping I get better at attaching it fast, since I don't have 10 minutes to play with it every morning  ::)  I'm attaching it just the opposite of you - right hand feeling for the abutment, left hand "rocking" the processor on.  Although it doesn't hurt to attach it, I find myself hesitant to really push it to get it on - which I know is necessary.

I'd imagine the adaptors aren't cheap, but you never know.  I'll most likely stick to my Ipod mono-adaptor and single ear plug from RadioShack - very cheap  ;D

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 01:58:29 pm »
Thank you, Jan!  :)

I am so glad you told me to come here to read about it. Your explanation was very good and I too laughed. Then I laughed again visualizing the airport security telling you to take the abutment out. YIKES! I hadn't thought about hearing your own voice, but now that I know about it, that makes sense. I am sure you will get used to it. Plus that I am sure you never need to fuss at the kids!

Where are the pictures?

My bad hearing has worsened since my ONE only CK on Monday. I feel almost certain I will be looking into the Baha! Your info is invaluable!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 06:09:30 pm »
You are welcome, Mary.  Someone called me an "information junkie" yesterday (I think it was Debbi) and I'm liking that description much more than "control freak"  :D

If you haven't seen the pictures yet, you will find them under Hearing Issues - topic is "Jan's BAHA pictures".  Enjoy  :D

BAHA Benjamin

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 09:56:31 pm »
Hi Jan -
I loved your description of your first day with your BAHA.  In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I had to give it another read.  Just thinking about it before made me laugh.  Glad you seem to be enjoying it so much.  I now know that I will be needing one of these things, so getting all the information I can is something I look forward to.  Nothing wrong with  being an "information junkie."   And you're right, it does sound better than "control freak."

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

oHIo

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 07:43:02 pm »
It appears the cochlearamerica online store sells the audio adapter to listen to your iPod for $236.00.  Has anyone ever used one...and do you like it?

Jan...so happy to hear you finally got your processor and like it.  I plan to join the ranks of BAHA users this fall. I'm stocking up on my Dawn dishwashing liquid now  ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 11:30:57 pm »
oHIo -

haven't had a chance to view the Cochlear online store, but the adaptor sounds a little pricey for me.  I don't recall the exact price of my iPod, but I think it only cost me $250 or $300.  I purchased a mono adaptor from RadioShack and a single ear plug almost a year ago because others on the forum recommended it and IMO they work wonderfully.  The total cost of both items was less than $10. 

I'm glad to hear you are planning to join us BAHA users this fall.  It seems like a lot of forumites are moving in this direction.  Like I told my doc just yesterday, I'm thinking I should purchase some Cochlear stock  ;)  Perhaps I should also invest in Proctor & Gamble  :D

Jan   

oHIo

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 08:23:00 am »
Jan..since P&G is the big local employer here, maybe they could cut me a deal with the Dawn for our BAHA kits  ;) 

I also thought the audio adapter was a bit on the pricey side, considering it was almost as much as an iPod.  My hearing in my 'good' ear is so sensitive now, I have pretty much given up listening to music and I keep the tv low with the closed captioning on. 

I'll ask my audiologist if anyone ever gets the adapter and what benefits they have gained.  Maybe there is something they know that we don't with the price tag.  I do know she mentioned the Divino had a few more features than the Intenso (directional microphone, ability to hook up other devices, etc.).  I'm not sure how important all that stuff really is, but I guess it would be nice to have the capabilities, just in case. 

If I have to wait three months to hook on my processor (I was told 3-6 months depending on healing time) it will be just in time for Christmas.  I get excited just thinking about it.

lori67

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 09:25:17 am »
Wow, that's a little out of my budget too.  I guess I'll just have to sing and let everyone around me spend the money on noise-cancelling headphones instead.

Lori