Author Topic: new transear  (Read 3447 times)

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
new transear
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:32:46 pm »
I got set up with transear 5 days ago & my ear sure is tender & sore. Just wondered how long this will last.and is that part of it.I have no sores or blisters,just hard to get it off my mind work.I wore it for four hrs. today.Is that normal?    Thanks,  Teresa
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

Jeanlea

Re: new transear
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:09:52 pm »
Teresa,

You may want to have your audiologist check your ear just to make sure there are no spots that are rubbing.  Many people begin by wearing them a few hours at time and slowly increase the time.  Do you auragel to make it easier to put in your ear?  That might help.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 07:46:47 pm »
Hey,  Jean     I  use a lubricant the audiulogist gave me ,so far its easy to put in,maybe I sould use a tad more. And more patience!
Atlanta Ga.AN 2006 right paralysis,balance issues,SS deaf,just happy to be here!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:13:00 am »
I never had any soreness or pain when I started wearing mine.  It is possible that the fit isn't quite perfect yet.  If you take back to your audiologist, they should be able to figure out where the tenderness is and perhaps sand down that area just slightly.  Just make sure they do the sanding by hand, and not by machine - a machine would take off too much too quickly.  It's a fine line they have to get between getting a perfect, snug fit without causing any soreness.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 12:04:41 pm »
Teresa:

I second the advice from other users. It sure sounds to me that your TransEar needs a minor tweak or two. Even with the best ear impressions, some users' jaw movements can cause the ear canal to change size a little when talking or eating, and this is something we can't anticipate during the manufacturing process. The key is to get back to the audiologist before the friction causes a sore to form. Ironically, some redness is good, as it will show the professional exactly where the rubbing occurs, so be sure to wear your TransEar for a few hours before your appointment. OTOH, give your ear a rest every so often until the appointment.

The portion of the ear where the tenderness can occur is a very thin layer of skin (average 0.2 mm!) over bone. There is no flexible cartilage back there as there is in the outer ear. This means that very little material needs to be removed from TransEar to provide relief from the pressure. Be assured that this is a very normal part of the fitting process.

Please keep me informed! Properly fit, you should not even notice TransEar once you get used to having something in the ear.

Regards,

Rick Gilbert
V.P. & G.M, Ear Technology/TransEar

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:16:39 pm »
Thanks for providing some expert input, Rick. As for me, I've got nothing. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Cynaburst

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:20:58 pm »
I have had my Transear for almost a year.  I had to have it sanded once at the beginning as it was irritating my ear, but I also found that it took some time for my ear to adjust to wearing the Transear.  I recently was not able to wear my Transear for almost a month as it broke when I was out of town and then it had to go back to Transear for a couple of weeks.  I noticed that when I started wearing it again, I had to break my ear in again just as I did when it was new.  Even though I had been wearing it full time with no problems before it broke, after my ear was no longer used to it, I had to go through the desensitizing process again.

Once you get used to it though, it is great and you won't be able to do without it.

TLC719

• Teresa L Childers
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »
Thanks for all the advice .I have a appiontment mon. June 2 to have my check-up.I'll get it sanded and go from there.Looking forward to wearing it!   Teresa

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 08:41:18 pm »
Teresa, I had my husband take a digital clseup of my ear where the TransEar was rubbing on the outside shell and making 3 very tiny red spots on the cartilage.  These tiny things were so sore but so small.  Then as the unit was sanded on its outer portions to eliminate the rubbing we could concentrate on the inner unseable place that hurt.  As Rick said only a little bit of sanding goes a long way to relieve pressure.

ChrisB

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 11:58:26 am »
Rick and the others are right on target.  I had a pretty good ulcer worn down in my ear canal before too long, but my audiologist made the serious mistake of putting my TransEar on the grinding machine (I didn't know better, so I had no problem with it at the time).  It sure felt better, but I had to give it a week to heal (it was almost to the bone - as Rick said, there's not much room between the surface of the tissue and the bone up there).  Laren at TransEar once told me that extremely fine sandpaper should be used, and to take off only about the thickness of a piece of skin at a time.  I wanted to clarify just who thick a piece of skin she meant, and asked if she meant something as thin as what peels off about a week after a bad sun burn?  She said that was it.  After my audiologist got done with multiple trips to the grinder, my original TransEar almost flopped around in my ear.

Thanks to some great support from the folks at TransEar, I was able to get a remake back to the original mold, then they took a slight amount off right there at the company, and returned it.  I never had to have it sanded, and the difference was noticeable, in terms of volume.  Like others have said, a little sanding here and there in the first few weeks is entirely normal.  After that, you'll hardly know it's there (but you'll sure learn to notice when you've forgotten to put it in!!).

Chris