Author Topic: walking like a drunk again  (Read 8983 times)

amaguarda

walking like a drunk again
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:49:36 pm »
when i first started having symptoms, the only way i could explain it was i was walking like a drunk. of course doctors blew it off. after moving to germany, everything fell into place after they gave me an mri. but now im starting to walk like a drunk again. my husband thinks it might be my new medication, (klonopin). does anyone ever have the symptoms 2 years later, and should i be worried? because i'm terrified my tumor is starting to grow again. i need advice from people going threw the same thing.
had 4.5 cmAN tumor removed on september 11, 2006

tomano

Re: walking like a drunk again
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:02:30 pm »
It's funny that I'm just now printing some pages from previous threads dealing with this very issue - check out wonky heads or drunken sailor - to help explain to friends and family that can't figure out what's wrong with me.
I don't feel drunk as much as hung over all the time. Driving when tired is actually quite dangerous for me and I have to drive at work. etc.
This site sure does help you feel like you are not alone in all of this.

docclayton

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:41:52 pm »
You were not very clear in your post as to what treatment you had (i.e. cyber/gamma knife or traditional surgery), whether you have had follow up MRI's documenting either growth, shrinkage, or no growth and central tumor darkening suggesting tumor 'death'.

Assuming your tumor has been shrinking the causes of your recent dizziness could DEFINITELY be due to Klonipen which is a benzodiazapine tranquilizer with a very long half life and can cause serious sedation and disorientation when first getting adjusted to using it.

Excessive fatigue can also bring on reoccurrance of dizziness -- if you have been up all night or not gotten enough sleep for several nights.

Illnesses such as 'the flu' and other systemic as well as upper respiratory infections can also make you temporarily more dizzy and 'off balance'.

I am guessing but I suspect the reason for this is the side affected by the AN has damaged balanced nerves, requiring one to compensate by using primarily vision and the other ear for balance an spacial orientation.  Fatigue and/or drugs can overload the remaining systems of balance an cause noticable vertigo and balance issues.

My two cents worth, hope it is helpful.

James P. Clayton

amaguarda

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:02:52 pm »
i had a 4.5 cm tumor, and had surgery and it was all removed. i've had 3 mri's since then and they all showed that it was completly removed. i'm due for another mri in september.  i'm supposed to get them done yearly now. but my surgeons told me so many things that well i cant really trust there word. example they told me that my facial palsy would last only3 months. well, almost 2 years later, i still have the facial palsy.  the balance was the least of my worries, but now it is front and center. the mri's that i've had never showed signs of my facial nerve. the docs told me that it was only stretched but, does anyone else have there mri's showing  there facial nerve?

Catflower

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:35:51 am »
It very well could be your new medication.  I think those of us who already have balance issues due to AN surgery are even more sensitive to the side effects of medications.

Linda in WV

oHIo

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:16:30 pm »
Klonopin is a medication much like Valium.  It can cause dizziness and lightheadedness, especially until you've been on it for a while and developed a tolerance to its side effects.  Are your symptoms worse within an hour of taking it?  It might help to discuss your concerns with your physician if the symptoms continue.

amaguarda

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 07:26:08 pm »
theres been days i dont take it at all, but i still have the drunk feeling. i only take it at night time anyway, unless my anxiety gets to be too much in the day. and it is the lowest mg they give for this medication

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:47:55 am »
Hi, Amaguarda:

I would suggest that you attempt to convince your doctor to order an MRI scan for you.  When you have that completed, ask the doctor to explain what you're looking at and what the radiologist's report means (it's usually undecipherable by a non-physician).  Don't allow a doctor to gloss over anything on the MRI or to dismiss your concerns, which are perfectly reasonable considering your recent disequilibrium issues. 

The Klonopin you're taking could be the cause of your balance problem but an MRI scan can show any tumor re-growth and if there is nothing evident, both you and your doctor can rule that out (with a sigh of relief) and try to find other sources for your disequilibrium, including medication.

I trust you'll soon be able to resolve this issue but realistically, an MRI scan is necessary if a re-growth is suspected.  Let's hope that isn't the case.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

er

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:54:50 pm »
Hello amaguarda,

I relate to your dilemma, a while back I thought my an was coming back. My 3rd MRI showed it hadn‘t. I sometimes wonder if our fears have an issue to this. I have to remember not to worry.
Before had my surgery I was also told that some problems do accrue but they will come back to normal at a certain time. I don't think the doctors really knows. One, every one is different. Two, tumors come in different sizes and they are in different places.
And being on this forum, some patients can have some large tumors and not have any affects. Then they have different ways of taking care of them CK, watch & wait, and like mine microsurgical removal. Which is the right one?
Please don’t worry. Don’t forget they are slow growing.
eve

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:39:17 pm »
Here is a link on klonopin

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/clonaz_ad.htm

Wikipedia says this for side-effects
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam

•   Ã¢â‚¬Å“Impaired motor function
o   Impaired coordination
o   Impaired balance
o   Dizziness
•   Anterograde amnesia (common with higher doses)
•   Some users report hangover-like symptoms of being drowsy, having a headache, being sluggish, and being irritable after waking up if the medication is taken before sleep. This is likely the result of the medication's long half-life, which continues to affect the user after waking up, as well as its disruption of the REM cycle.

_____

In your post you wrote this
“example they told me that my facial palsy would last only 3 months. Well, almost 2 years later, i still have the facial palsy.�

I think you should ask for a referral to see a neuromuscular facial retraining therapist. They can also do a probe to see if there is any nerve activity.
Here is an article worth reading
http://www.ophth.wisc.edu/about/fsSummer2004.html#botox

Also know that if there is no movement that this surgery is available
http://www.hopkinsfacialplastics.com/gallery_facial_reanimation.php

I have a hero on this forum and these are her before and after photos (yes this our Nancy who we all adore)
http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5544.msg52378#msg52378

It sounds to me that you need a big ole support group HUG.

HUGS

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 11:16:01 pm »
So, docclayton, are you a medical doctor  ???

And have you had - or do you have - an AN?

Just curious,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

danijake

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:05:42 am »
I was wondering that, also.  ???

I am taking Klonipin. When I first started taking it, I was ---from what I can remember, anyway---pretty messed up. Like I said "from what I can remember".

It's like valium, but not as strong and it's a "Little Sister" to Xanax . In other words, it's the weaker of the two. :P But, it's still strong!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:18:16 am by danijake »

PatSal

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 10:29:07 am »
 ??? I've been walking like a drunk since sometime in2005. My neuroma was diagnosed in October 2004 -no symptoms other than spots before my eyes. Balance became a problem in 2005. A trip to Las Vegas really made it noticeable. It was like I was drunk the whole time there.  I walked into walls.  I couldn't figure out how to unlock my suitcase upon arrival. Reading would me make walk and talk like a drunk. Everyone said it was not because of the neuroma.  I read the newpaper before seeing my former doctors and they were in "shock".  Referred to my current neurologist. Balance has only gotten worse. Went to Mayo Clinic in January 2007- neurologist had tried "all safe" meds on me.  Mayo said the neuroma and balance issue were separate issues. Only second case Mayo has seen like me. Added a med and sent my back to my neurologist.  December, 2007 had gamma knife. Neuroma had reached brainstem. Advised in April itumor is starting to die.  Neurologist; however, told me this week, the vestibular nerve is alive and very aggravated causing all my balance problems.  If I even get out of breath, it will make me dizzy.  Humidity also will make my balance worse.  I have always said I walk and talk like a drunk when I'm "off". Dr. just put me on klonopin to see if it can sedate nerve. I would have to say this med is not causing problem as I've always had the problem and am just now starting the med. Since gamma knife, I fall over without any pre-warning. I used to drop fall in crowds, but usually had warning to grab onto somethin. Never go out without a cane.

amaguarda

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 11:53:24 am »
well update on my paranoia... i made them give me another mri.... good results. i guess i just need to stop worrying.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 10:22:30 pm »
amaguarda -

congratulations on the clean MRI. 

Lots of people worry - I do it all the time - wish I could stop, but I guess it's part of my nature.  Plus, I'm a mom and IMO all moms worry - most dads, too  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways