Author Topic: Can sensation of pressure in the affected ear affect hearing?  (Read 4208 times)

lori67

Re: Can sensation of pressure in the affected ear affect hearing?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 11:34:09 am »
Wendy -

I'm glad to hear your daughters can keep you laughing.  I guess they know how important it is to keep a sense of humor through all this too.  And I'm sure it makes them feel better to see Mom laughing.

I am in a family of real comedians too, so it helps to be able to laugh along with them!

And just wait til they see that "bonnet" on your head - that should be good for a hearty laugh out of them!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sammict

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 01:38:29 pm »
Hi Wendy

I also have numbness in my cheek bones, Jaw line and the left side of my tongue. My doctor thinks the tumor may be touching the nerve.

It feels like you just got home from the dentist. I find that it gets worse at night when i'm asleep. or stressed.

Sam

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 03:22:29 pm »
Sam,

I too suffer from the same symptoms.  I've been on several different med's because on top of that I get wicked headaches on the same side as my neuroma.  I'm on neurontin.  I must say it has helped me a lot.  Let your Dr know what's going on.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  It took me four Drs to finally get someone who understood what I was going thru. 

Hang in there my friend, I know what you are saying about being stressed.  I too know about the sleeping issue.  I have a neuroma on my scar.  I received a nerve block May 1st.  It has helped.  I can now sleep on my left side but I do have roll when it starts to bother me.  Get your Dr to check out your scar carefully.  I will have to have the neuroma removed.  He will open me up along the scar, remove the neuroma and scrape the bone, and he will remove all the old scar tissue.  I hope it will be the answer.  The nerve block was three injections along the scar, the third one was the worst.  Today I'm coping much better, mind you I cannot touch the neuroma.

Good luck Sam,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 05:26:17 pm »
Thanks all for your replies  and good wishes.

Sannicit - Is the numbness you feel constant or does it come and go?  Mine seems to come and go depending  on how much pressure I am feeling in my ear.  The more pressure in my ear, the more numbness.  I did forget to mention this to my doctor yesterday because the news I heard about my hearing drop knocked all other quextions except what could be done about that out of my hear.  I plan to e-mail him and see what he has to say. 

Ann Marie - I haven't had microsurgery yet so although your advice sounds like it would be good if I had, that's not my problem.  Sorry to hear about the neuroma on  your scar.  That sounds pretty awful but hopefullly it will be okay soon.  I know what you mean about some doctors not understanding what you've been going through.  I know that some the  doctors I've seen give me strange looks sometimes.  I would go as far as saying at least one of them didn't believe me about my balance problem until he saw me walk and became convinced by a couple of (what seemed like) short-hand tests he did.  Why would anyone make these things up/

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!