Author Topic: ear pain and ongoing fatigue  (Read 2258 times)

martyc

ear pain and ongoing fatigue
« on: August 23, 2008, 03:48:59 pm »
Hi all,
I'm 3 mo post op translab and have had ear pain recently (being checked out by ENT of course, but no info yet).  Wondering if this is a common residual issue?  My tissue is still soft behind my ear so I'm sure it's still healing. 
I'm also still experiencing fatigue.  I'm back to work part time, but just don't have energy like I used to.  When do you experience it returning?  Any helps for energy?
Thanks! 
Marty

Marty

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: ear pain and ongoing fatigue
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 05:07:17 pm »
Hi Marty-
Where is the ear pain?  Inside, or front, or back?  Curious because I have pain in front of my ear which I think is probably misplaced pain from the trauma to my skull.  If you had any numbness in your face/head post surgery (which I think most of us have to one extent or another) it may be that sensation is returning. 

As for the fatigue, at almost 4 months, I still have occasional days where I feel like I've been whacked by a mack truck.  I can usually trace it to having overdone something a day or two before.  I will say that I have less and less of those days as time passes.  From what I have heard from others, intermittent fatigue can be a challenge for quite a long time following surgery.

Hope you get to the bottom of your ear pain soon.  It is not only painful, but stressful.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 06:12:25 pm »
Marty -

I can't comment on the ear pain because I didn't have it, but IMO the ongoing fatigue is normal.

I had fatigue for a long time post op.  It eventually goes away, but I can't recommend a magic pill or anything.  Unfortunately, you'll just have to "wait it out".

Have patience, my fellow forumite  :)  It's not easy, I know.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:19:04 pm »
Hi Marty
I haven't had ear pain either......I'm about 7 weeks post op, translab, and the fatigue is really bad.  I can sleep 12 hours at night, and still find myself falling asleep during the day for an hour or two or more. 
Also, my appetite is really bad.......which probably doesn't help with the energy level.  Anyone else have a bad appetite?  At the most, I eat watermelon for breakfast, maybe an apple in midafternoon, and toast at night.  Nothing sounds good.  I used to love popcorn at night, but it tastes like a piece of paper now!!!!
I'm sure the two things are connected?
I hope you can find out the reason for your ear pain, Marty....and I hope it's not serious.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

martyc

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:29:08 pm »
The pain is internal, so I do have  a follow up with an Otorologist as my surgeon is in another town.  That's interesting about misplaced pain from the surgery.  I'll ask about that.  
Good to know from both of you that fatigue is normal and expected.  I am back to doing a lot of things...just not all.  I start Physical Therapy  at the end of the month, so hopefully that will help in the long run.

Just got your post Lacey and my appetite was low initially too...but has come back.  I had heard that things will taste different, and found that for the first month or two, but things I used to enjoy (coffee and chocolate especially) are back to tasting good :)  Hope your popcorn tastes normal soon and that your energy returns.  I think I was sleeping that much initially too...now I have a hard time being able to take a nap, but do lie down just to rest. 

Take care you all.
Marty
Marty