Author Topic: facial paralysis, palsy or weakness are they the same?  (Read 2474 times)

elderbirds

facial paralysis, palsy or weakness are they the same?
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:06:02 pm »
I am 5 1/2 weeks post-op and have the "typical" facial and eye problems often mentioned.  The tumor was on the facial nerve but the nerve was kept intact and functioning throughout surgery.  My question is are facial paralysis, facial palsy (like Bell's palsy) and facial weakness one in the same?  Do people use these terns interchangably?  I have been reassure that function should be fully returned...sometime.  I have seen slow progress.  I have full feeling on the AN side, just a crooked smile, eye closes 3/4 of the way.  I would consider this a palsy rather than a paralysis.  Just wanted to understand as I research and read about these sympptoms.
thanks
hope

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: facial paralysis, palsy or weakness are they the same?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:17:07 pm »
Hi, Hope:

I believe that the terms 'facial paralysis', 'facial palsy' and 'Bell's Palsy' are often used interchangeably because the symptoms are almost mirrors of each other, despite the term used to describe the symptom, which is generally an inability to move the eye, mouth and/or cheek when desired.  All of these symptoms - which I generally refer as 'facial paralysis' - are connected to damage (to some extent) of the facial nerve(s) and are, quite often, temporary.  However, in these cases, the return of normal facial function can sometimes proceed at a glacial pace.  This is why there are nerve grafts and more commonly, PT procedures available to help speed the process.   

I hope this post is somewhat helpful and, of course, I trust that your facial abnormalities will all be resolved soon.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

Re: facial paralysis, palsy or weakness are they the same?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:18:17 pm »
Hi Hope,

I Googled it, and the answer is: yes, they are used interchangeably. :)

I think what you have might be considered facial weakness, because your eye closes partially, and your mouth moves some. Palsy and paralysis usually mean the same thing, and refer to a more complete shut down of nerve function.

We had an eye plastic surgeon at our quarterly Portland ANA meeting last week (the official term for eye plastic surgeon is a mouthful that I can't remember). He was very good, and explained things like your eye closing issue quite a bit. Be sure to keep it moisturized! If it closes 3/4, it means the nerve signal is weak, but not gone entirely. The muscle itself is fine, it is the nerve signal that is weak. If it already closes 3/4 of the way, you are probably on track for full recovery - you just have to be super patient about it. Did I mention be sure to keep it moisturized? The eye doctor was very emphatic about that.  :)

6 weeks post op is not so long to wait for facial nerves to reactivate, I think you are doing fine. Best wishes in the weeks ahead,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.