Author Topic: Enhanced MRI (open MRI)  (Read 6898 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Enhanced MRI (open MRI)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 03:12:57 pm »
Xanax is also an option.  (Gads, I sound like a druggie, don't I?  Well, after being hauled feet first out of an MRI hyperventilating several years ago, I don't take chances anymore - better to be serene and tranquil, even if it is drug induced!)   :D

Sam, you could also ask your doc to prescribe a "test run" of valium (or whatever) to take ahead of time just to see how you react.  Seems extreme, but that way you could know for sure how your body reacts.  As I said, for me, I just found it quite calming - exaclty what I needed!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 10:56:34 am »
Thanks Sam.  I was just curious about the surgery you've already had.  Makes sense to me now.

Lori

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sammict

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 03:23:22 pm »
thanks everyone I'm feeling better about the MRI

thanks Sam

cmp

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 01:09:39 pm »
Sam--

Glad to hear you are recovering well from your eardrum surgery. I hope you'll soon have your surgery date all set (and be able to enjoy some good summer fun between now and then!)

I'm not particularly claustrophobic, but MRIs REALLY freak me out at this point (I think each one I need to get now is about 3X harder than the one before), so when I needed one the month before my surgery, I asked about an open MRI. It turned out Mass General Hospital (where my neurosurgeon is based) doesn't have that type of machine--what Wendy says about the quality of the image being an issue in "open" vs traditionally closed machines makes sense.

I think Debbi's suggestion that you try a test run of something to help relax you is a great idea! (I have such unpredictable reactions to meds myself, particularly if the dose is too large, that I think I'll opt for this route myself before getting the "baseline" MRI I'm scheduled for at the end of August).

Best wishes--

Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 10:52:49 pm »
Hi Sam,

I am a nurse when I am not camping out on this forum, and I can tell you that Valium, Xanax, Ativan, etc. all usually help "take the edge off" for most people.  BUT, as with any medication, one cannot truly know with 100% certainty how it will affect him/her until they take it.  There are a few out there who take these meds, and have adverse reactions (not necessarily allergic) but it just doesn't do what it was intended...like you may be more anxious.  That is most likely a low probability.  The same thing can happen with Tylenol or Advil too, so please don't be afraid to use one. That is what they are there for.  As stated by the others, you will need someone to drive you home, as they will not let you drive if you take one.

For me, MRI's are no problem.  I consider myself lucky on that.  "Closed" MRI's often give better quality images than "open" MRI's. So it may depend on what exactly they are looking for.  Most places have protocols, and certain tests must be done in certain MRI's, etc.  I didn't get headphones in mine, but I got earplugs, and it didn't take too long.  The lady talked w/ me through a speaker and kept me up to date and relaxed.  You may want to talk with your doc or have him put you in touch with a radiologist from the facility you will be having this done at, if you have questions.  Try your best to relax and I am sure you will find out that it may not be as bad as you thought  ;)

Hope everything goes well!!!

Amy :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 10:54:28 pm »
Wow, i didn't realize how late in the game I am!!  Sorry !  I am sure you have had your MRI by now.  Hope all went well :):)   :D
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.