Author Topic: Enhanced MRI (open MRI)  (Read 6895 times)

Sammict

Enhanced MRI (open MRI)
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:04:54 am »
Hi Everyone

I had my consult with my Neurosurgeon yesterday I am waiting on surgery date. He wants me to have an enhanced MRI I forget to ask if it can be down in an open MRI. Has any had one done that was an OPEN?

Sam

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Enhanced MRI (open MRI)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:47:06 pm »
Sam -

I had my MRIs with contrast (gadolinium to be specific) but I did not use an open MRI so I don't know the answer to your question.  I'm sure someone else will know.

I just wanted to say that I hope you get a surgery date soon.  Sometimes waiting for the date can be almost as stressful as making your treatment decision.

Hang in there,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sammict

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:32:31 am »
Jan

Thank you I have been on egg shells all week waiting for them to call with a date. I should know soon.

Sam

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:19:11 am »
Sam -

it's normal to be walking on eggs when you have an AN - and stress out, and scared, and frightened, etc.  But in the end you will be fine.

I'm hoping you'll have an answer soon.  When you do, please let us know.

Stay strong,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:32:19 am »
I had an open mri done with contrast. It seemed to work out fine. There were no complaints and alot easier on the patient. Mickey

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:13:17 am »
Mickey -

thanks for responding to Sam's question.  I was sure someone on this forum must have asked this question of their doctor(s).

Jan

Sammict

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 11:41:46 am »
Mickey

Thank you that's good to know.

Sam

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 06:59:40 pm »
Hi Sam -
My first MRI was open but my doctor was not happy with the quality.  He is sending me for a high resolution MRI w/contrast on Thursday.  I asked and he told me high resolution MRIs are never open.  I was glad I asked so I can prepare mentally to have this done.  I hate small  tight spaces although I am not truly claustrophobic.  He offered me Valium when I told him it would probably make me very nervous.  I chose not to take it though.  Did your doc use t he term "high resolution"?  If so, I'd say it's not an open MRI.  You should call and make sure.  If you think this will scare you too much tell him.  I'm sure he will be sympathetiic and offer you Valium or something if you want it.  Good luck with your MRI.  I'll be watching for your next post to see how it went.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sammict

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 07:28:48 am »
Hi wendy

I haven't been posting in a while I had surgery to repair my ear drum and bone in my AN ear. I did ask about the MRI it is a contrast MRi and it can not be done in an open MRI. He did suggesst a Valuim I am considering it. My MRI has been postponed until a few days before my Translab surgeryin September. I have never taken a valuim so i don't know what it does i am a little nervous about taking it but even more nervous about a closed MRI.

Thanks Sam

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 10:55:25 am »
Sam -

good to see you posting again!

Not to get off topic here, but can you tell us how your recovery has been?

Are you doing well?

I sure hope so  :)

Jan

lori67

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 02:42:07 pm »
Hi Sam.

I hope the MRI goes well.  The give you headphones and let you listen to music, so I've always found them rather relaxing.

As far as your recent surgery, I hope you are doing well.  I was wondering why they would make repairs on the AN ear when they are planning to do translab in September anyway?  Was it to relieve pain until you get to surgery?  Just curious.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sammict

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 08:46:02 am »
Hi

My recovery is going well they made an incision behind my ear and removed some infected bone and sealed an infected ear drum.

They didn't want to do the Translab until they where sure the infection is cleared up. Otherwise I risk meningitis or other types of infection that could be life threatening.

I had some dizziness and vomiting after the surgery. It took about 3.5 hours I went in at 5:00 am I was sent home at 6:00 pm. For a couple of days I had to have someone  with me at all times.

I had headaches my AN systems seem to be stronger and more difficult to deal with such as the numbness in my face and problems with my eye where harder to manage.

It's been two weeks today I am back to work and feeling really good. I have a few follow up visits with doctors before we schedule translab. Doctors are hopeful for sometime after Labor day. I can't wait to get a date.

Thanks Sam

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 10:37:01 am »
Hi Sam-

Just a comment on the valium versus MRI claustrophbia.  I opted for the valium which turned out to be a good decision for me.  The valium basically makes you feel very relaxed and you should have a driver as you should NOT drive after taking this type of drug.  After the MRI, I did a few things around the house, then napped for an hour - after that I felt fine.  I do have very severe fear of tight spaces, so for me some sort of sedation is necessary.  If you are concerned about how you'll react to valium, maybe your doctor could give you a lighter dosage (5 mg).

Hope everythign stays on track for your Sept. surgery.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Sammict

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 11:12:34 am »
Thanks Debbi

I feel much better about taking the valium. That's good to know I can request a smaller dose.

I was hoping someone would sahre thier experience with taking the valium before the MRI I feel much more comfortable about it now.

Thanks Sam

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 01:12:18 pm »
Sam -

happy to hear of the positive surgical results.  Thank you for updating us.

My mom takes something called Adavan to calm her down prior to an MRI because she's allergic to Valium - it might be another possible option for you.

I hope you get your date soon.

Jan