Author Topic: Gentamycin Injections  (Read 2254 times)

Ned

Gentamycin Injections
« on: November 17, 2005, 06:59:52 am »
Considering Gentamycin injections to help with balance issues, 2years post FSR.  When it was suggested to me 1 year ago the doc said there was a 50% chance I would lose the balance of hearing in my ear, he now says the  liklihood is around 5%.  Have any of you had this treament or have any knowledge of patient results?  I am skeptical of the numbers he has given  me, don't want to risk the complete loss of hearing in my ear.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

russ

Re: Gentamycin Injections
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 12:07:40 pm »
Hi Ned
  I think the injections ( which are destructive ) are usually used for those with Menieres Disease. The idea is to kill part of the ears semicircular canals ciliary hair thus making it less reactive to motion. Enough injections ( about 3 - 4 ) and that completely destroys the balance part ( chemical VNS )and takes a pretty good hit on the hearing as well.
  If they were to destroy all the balance function, that leaves you with but one side and what if down the road, something ocurs with the other ear?
  Unfortunately, this is always a risk for those who have translab surgery as well.
  Re: Furthered hearing loss, I'm personally a bit sceptical of the %s given also.
  Maybe Google Hain+Menieres and read about the treatment at the t-chain web site.
  Best wishes Ned!  russvk@netscape.com

Ned

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 07:55:52 pm »
I agree, the %  quoted was too  big of a difference and he couldn't/wouldn't give referrals of past clients that did this.  I hate the medical profeesion, enlightened self interest.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 09:36:40 pm »
Hi Ned,

I find those percents a bit strange.... I have been told and have read that hearing pretty much stays the same with fsr i.e. at the level you went in with, plus a bit more loss maybe ... sometimes it stays at the same level  even after fsr, and i have read about an exceptional few that improved a slight bit..... Have not ever heard about losing 50 % more than what one went into treatment with , after fsr?

About gentamycin?

Have you done a basic google search about gentamycin? even gentamycin drops for let's say a minor ear infection? well when the topic of otoxicity comes up, gentamycin is one of the drugs that can cause hearing loss by unknowing docs who prescribe it for minor ailments..........
About injections to destroy all of balance nerve in inner ear..... that is done as i uinderstand in order to knock out all vestibular balance in an ear...if it is done in both ears you end up in a wheelchair as you end up with no balance.....

In any case, that kind of treatment cannot be undone, so i would get some other opinions about why this is being suggested to you for even one ear.....

Tread carefully....
Sincerely,
Windsong

Mark

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 09:45:51 pm »
Ned,

I would agree with Windsong's comments 100%. In the most recent FSR study I've seen which involved CK at Stanford, the statistics supported that around 70% maintained pre treatment hearing while the remaining 30% had some decrease in the range of 12db. There are a few rare cases where someone does lose their remaining hearing as well as some who see some improvement. However the vast majority stay the same or have a slight drop

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001