Author Topic: 2 Diff ?'s - CSF Leak Post-Op & Flying  (Read 29338 times)

lori67

Re: 2 Diff ?'s - CSF Leak Post-Op & Flying
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 01:56:15 pm »
Hearing these hair washing stories is making me appreciate my doctor that much more!  I washed mine in the hospital the day my bandage came off and then every day after.  He did suggest I 'try" to keep it dry until the staples came out, but I washed and rinsed it carefully and gently patted it dry, so that was as close as I got to trying.  We nurses do make the worst patients, you know.  And after my BAHA surgery I was allowed to wash my hair that night.

Hmmm... manly accessories... yes, I think nuts and bolts would work.  I've got a bunch laying around loose in the garage/OR anyway.  This could keep our start up costs to a minimum - and get my garage clean at the same time - making more room for surgical patients.

Ok, everyone to my garage with their hot glue guns!  At least we know it's safe to fly now!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
Re: 2 Diff ?'s - CSF Leak Post-Op & Flying
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 11:47:26 pm »
Hi everyone,
My translab looks like a question mark, too!!!
I had a CSF leak 11 days after my surgery, and instead of it coming out of the incision site, it came out my nose.  They told me to come to the ER and someone would meet me there.  They scheduled surgery the next morning.  The doctor had to pack everything tight.  He said since I wasn't using my left ear for anything (couldn't save hearing), he closed the tube up very small.  Alot of packing.  He also said it was partly b/c my eustachian tube was 4-5 times bigger than he had ever seen.
That was what caused it to leak.  The first time I saw him in his office after that, he said "we are not out of the woods yet". (concerning CSF leaks).  He said "never say never"!!  So, maybe that might answer some people's questions.  When I put my little finger just into my left ear, there really isn't a canal there.  I can hardly get 1/4 of my little finger in it.  He really tightened it up.
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.