Author Topic: 2 Diff ?'s - CSF Leak Post-Op & Flying  (Read 29349 times)

lori67

Re: 2 Diff ?'s - CSF Leak Post-Op & Flying
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 07:01:44 pm »
Mine is a question mark shape too.  Add in the BAHA abuttment and I have a question mark and an upside down "C" with a metal post in the middle!  I guess I won't ever be able to shave my head with all these scars on it.

I think in a million years when archaeologists find my skeleton, they'll take one look and say "what the....??".  Maybe I'll be in a museum.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 08:00:36 pm »
I had retrosigmoid and my scar is shaped kind of like this >

But these days it's faded so much it's really hard to see it.

My BAHA fixture doesn't look too bad either - kind of like a snapper that you would sew onto clothing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 08:12:14 pm »
Stop it already, I know I don't have one, you don't have to throw that in my face all the time!

I am so envious... :P

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 08:23:08 pm »
Well, you may be jealous of our scars and fixtures, but I'm jealous of that lovely blue mask LOL

And who knows, there may eventually be a BAHA in your future.  Never say never ;D

"Lucky Jan"
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 09:27:51 pm »
i had translab too and had asked my doctor the possibility of leaks post op and he said it is rare.  but i guess the opinion varies from doctor to doctor?

As to your flying question, when i was at House, out of state patients actually flew back after 2 weeks and some of them live on the east coast, so that was about 5 hours journey.  I myself traveled to asia (12 hour journey) after 1 month and i had no issues - i just brought plenty of gum to ease my ear pressure (on the good ear) and ear plugs! 

you looking good too!!!  wishing u the best in your recovery!!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

lori67

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 09:20:43 am »
Steve,

How about I draw an upside down question mark, an upside down C and a sideways V on your head with a Sharpie marker and then we can use double-sided tape to attach a snap from the fabric store?  We can attach a small I-pod to the snap and you'll feel like one of us!

But, of course you know that Jan and I will have to run out to buy some fishnet stockings to put over our heads so we can feel like one of you!  Unless Jan already has some... I don't know what she does in her free time....   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 11:45:28 am »
Very amusing, Lori.

You know, I'm fresh out of fishnet stockings - I'll have to stock up soon  ;)

I think Steve is just trying to flatter us, and our lovely skull markings and ornaments, because he's hoping we'll forget he still owes us knit hats.  Wonder how that's going  ???

Jan

Mama R

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 08:45:01 am »
Lori- Leapytwins -

Re: BAHA - I have seen a few picture and it looked as if it was too big to be covered by hair. Are yours? I am pretty good with SSD as I had
lost 50% prior to surgery but I haven't gone back to work and not sure I want to bother others by saying "What? What? What?" all the time!
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 09:37:32 am »
I don't get my processor for another month, so I can't tell you from personal experience, but they are fairly small; about the size of the top digit of your thumb.

I've seen one "live and in person" and I had no idea the woman was wearing it until she told me about it - her hair covered it completely.  BAHA processors come in different colors that help them blend in with your hair.

Jan 

lori67

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 11:17:02 am »
Mine is covered by my hair.  I usually parted it on the other side, so as to offer more coverage, but just yesterday, I started parting it on the same side as my BAHA and it's still covered up.  If I try to pull it back into a pony tail, it might show a little, but I still have a bit of a hair "deficit" I'm growing out from the surgery so I think with time it will be okay.  And it's brown, so it blends in.  If I decide to see if blondes have more fun, I might have an issue....  :D

Lori

Tamara

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 02:24:07 pm »
Re the BAHA,
  Since "adornments" are all the rage these days - tattoos and piercings and the like - I'm thinking I don't WANT to hide the processor.  Maybe I'll paint it and attach little charms.  What do you think???

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 02:35:10 pm »
Tamara -

I know that at one point Joef actually had stickers on his processor.  As I recall they were kind of like racing stripes.  Maybe he'll post a picture for you  8)

Jan

lori67

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 03:25:15 pm »
Yes, the stickers were a nice touch, but charms might be a more feminine touch.  I was thinking maybe flowers, but then I'd just sneeze more.

I still have the antenna my nephew gave me so I could hook it up to my "snap" for better radio reception.  Maybe I'll just stick with that.

Lori

Mama R

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 04:29:08 pm »
I probably should hear more of your BAHA experiences before I rule it out.  Leapytwins - Didn't you just have the surgery? Input? Lori- How long have you had yours? Input? I know Anthem BC/BS said they may pay for the procedure but not the device. I figured if I opted I would talk with the Docs and see if there is  special documention necessary for them to cover it. I've heard if it is referred to as a cochlear implant your chances of getting it covered are better. I also
read the device itself is $4 - 5,000? As always, thanks for your input.

Becky
AKA: Ohio Also
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 05:09:21 pm »
Becky -

I had my surgery on 3/4/08 - my doc recommends waiting 90 days for the processor, so I'm scheduled to get mine on June 4th.

The surgery itself was easy - nothing like my retrosigmoid surgery.  It was an outpatient procedure and I had local anesthesia.  I didn't feel a thing and felt great afterwards.  I did get a lovely hat - similar to yours  ;) - that I had to wear for 24 hours.  Underneath the hat was a pink spongy bandage held in place by a small round plastic cap, that I had to wear for a week until the doc removed it.  My hair covered the bandage & cap and I was able to shampoo my hair by holding a plastic cup over the BAHA site so it didn't get wet.  When the bandage & cap were removed, I could shampoo normally.  At that point, I also had to put neosporin or bacitracin on the titanium fixture 2x per day. 

I found the worst part of the BAHA surgery was the intense itching I had post op while I was recovering.  My doc said it was entirely normal and part of the healing process. 

You are correct, a BAHA is similar to a Cochlear.  Cochlears are for those who are bilaterally deaf (deaf in both ears); BAHAs are for those who are unilaterally deaf (SSD).

Although most insurance companies don't cover hearing aids, a BAHA is an implant, so they usually are covered.  If your insurance turns you down on your first request, they usually honor your second.  I believe the ANA will give you some tips on how to "protest" if your insurance company denies coverage.

I can't recall the cost of the surgery off the bat - both my doc and the hospital are in my network, so I only paid a $400 deductible.  From what my doc and the audiologist tell me, my processor is supposed to cost roughly $2,500.  My insurance company said they'd cover it, but I'm thinking I might have to pay an out-of-network deductible or some percent of the cost.

I'll let Lori explain the Dawn detergent and the toothbrush to you  ;D

Linda (Catflower) and David (dpetty) also had BAHA surgery recently.

Jan