Author Topic: Dr Gagnon from Georgetown  (Read 5023 times)

ROCKYB

Dr Gagnon from Georgetown
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:46:27 am »
I am becoming a pain in the neck but want to make the right choice. Going with CK Stanford my first choice but how is Dr Gagnon from Georgetown he is closer to where I live and would like any feedback from people that used him thanks.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Dr Gagnon from Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 05:23:38 pm »
Hey Rocky,

I did a "search" option on this site to see what others have noted about CK at Georgetown and found many threads/comments, so here are just a few:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3379.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6349.0

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5716.0

Goinbatty/Sandra, just recently completed CK at Georgetown (from my understanding) in January with Dr. Gagnon and would possibly be a good one to check with... I know she logs on here from time to time. 

Try the "Search" option here (on the top/left) and you should find some info that you seek.
Hope it helps.
Phyl
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:26:16 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ROCKYB

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 06:10:19 pm »
THANKS FOR THE HELP JUST WANT TO GET THIS DONE AND MOVE ON. JUST WANT TO PICK THE RIGHT PLACE

goinbatty

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 06:42:56 pm »
Hi Rocky,
I was very impressed with Georgetown.  I chose that facility because on the east coast, they seemed to have a good amount of experience.  I went up in November for consults.  They required I speak with a neurosurgeon first, which was Dr. Walter Jean.  To be honest, by the time I went up there I had already made my mind up for CK but Dr. Jean was very nice explaining the surgical options.  Then saw Dr. Gagnon.  We discusssed the 3 vs 5 treatment protocols.  Since I had minimal hearing issues, I chose the 5 as he said this may have slightly better hearing preservation rates than 3.  The following day I was fitted with the mask and had the CT done.  That was it.  Then went back in January for treatment which was a walk in the park.  Well except I really should have my eyes shut.  I got a little tickled at myself because I opened my eyes when that eye was right over my head.  I'm in no way claustrophic but for some reason, that bothered me. 
If you need it, they have a Marriott hotel right behind the hospital and if you contact the patient advocate in advance, you might be able to get a reduced rate.   They only allow so many rooms for CKers.  That was so convenient. 
If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message so it will show up on email.  Before treatment, I was on this site constantly and not get on a few times a week. 
By the way, if you want more specific contact info there, just let me know and I'll find it all for you.  No problem at all.
Take care,
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:45:04 pm »
Sandra, thank you!  Oh, btw, I loved the "eye"... I heard about it, had to check it out.... sorry it bugged you. I thought it was fun ;)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ROCKYB

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 04:44:40 am »
Hi Rocky,
I was very impressed with Georgetown.  I chose that facility because on the east coast, they seemed to have a good amount of experience.  I went up in November for consults.  They required I speak with a neurosurgeon first, which was Dr. Walter Jean.  To be honest, by the time I went up there I had already made my mind up for CK but Dr. Jean was very nice explaining the surgical options.  Then saw Dr. Gagnon.  We discusssed the 3 vs 5 treatment protocols.  Since I had minimal hearing issues, I chose the 5 as he said this may have slightly better hearing preservation rates than 3.  The following day I was fitted with the mask and had the CT done.  That was it.  Then went back in January for treatment which was a walk in the park.  Well except I really should have my eyes shut.  I got a little tickled at myself because I opened my eyes when that eye was right over my head.  I'm in no way claustrophic but for some reason, that bothered me. 
If you need it, they have a Marriott hotel right behind the hospital and if you contact the patient advocate in advance, you might be able to get a reduced rate.   They only allow so many rooms for CKers.  That was so convenient. 
If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message so it will show up on email.  Before treatment, I was on this site constantly and not get on a few times a week. 
By the way, if you want more specific contact info there, just let me know and I'll find it all for you.  No problem at all.
Take care,
Sandra

Thank you so much I will contact them today. Its also nice to know you can get a discount at the hotel. Its funny it going to cost me less to go out of state for treatment then use the guys in NYC who are cash only no insurance.

BTW were you able to go out after the treatment and enjoy DC.

goinbatty

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 07:58:51 am »
Cash only that's insane!!!  Who has that kind of money lying around.  I know some require a % up front depending on insurance coverage.  Good luck and keep us updated.
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 12:24:19 pm »
I had Dr. Gagnon also.  I like him a lot - he's very easy to talk to and has a lot of experience with CK.  My only issue has been with the post-treatment follow-up.  It takes awhile to get a response to emails or phone calls.  I ended up seeing a local radiation oncologist (I live in NC) to manage post-treatment swelling.  They put me on steroids, so it's probably better to be monitored by someone local anyway.  The local doc did say he thought I made a good choice with CK and that G'town did a good job with the treatment, so that was good to hear.  I was just a little unlucky to have so much swelling.

The hospital is several blocks from the Georgetown historical/shopping district, but walkable if you want some exercise.  They also have a free shuttle bus that connects to the DC Metro trains that take you all over the city.  I don't think sightseeing would be a problem.  I didn't really feel anything immediately after treatments, but was a little tired by the end of the week.

Good luck,
JB
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

ROCKYB

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 02:58:52 pm »
I had Dr. Gagnon also.  I like him a lot - he's very easy to talk to and has a lot of experience with CK.  My only issue has been with the post-treatment follow-up.  It takes awhile to get a response to emails or phone calls.  I ended up seeing a local radiation oncologist (I live in NC) to manage post-treatment swelling.  They put me on steroids, so it's probably better to be monitored by someone local anyway.  The local doc did say he thought I made a good choice with CK and that G'town did a good job with the treatment, so that was good to hear.  I was just a little unlucky to have so much swelling.

The hospital is several blocks from the Georgetown historical/shopping district, but walkable if you want some exercise.  They also have a free shuttle bus that connects to the DC Metro trains that take you all over the city.  I don't think sightseeing would be a problem.  I didn't really feel anything immediately after treatments, but was a little tired by the end of the week.

Good luck,

Thanks did you do it all in one week or two trips.  Do you know how many AN he has done?

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 11:21:22 am »
Rocky,
I did two trips, same as Sandra.  My first trip was for a consult only, but I decided to go ahead with the treatment and they worked me in for a CT scan the following day.  Then it took about 4 weeks for them to generate the treatment plan, and then I scheduled my treatment a week after that.  So about 6 weeks start to finish.  I'm not sure if you could get it all done in one trip or not.  The treatment plan has to be approved by the radiation physicist, Dr. Jean, and Dr. Gagnon, so I guess it depends on their schedules. 

Not sure how many AN's Dr. Gagnon has done.  I heard 50-60 total at Georgetown.  I suspect he's probably been involved with most of them, but I'm not really sure.  His specialty is cancer treatments and that's mostly what they're using the CK for, but he seems quite familiar with AN treatment too.  From what I understand (from reading the CK support forum), AN's are usually pretty straightforward to treat with CK as compared to other types of tumors, cancer, etc.

I posted some before/after MRI's of my AN in another thread if you're interested:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6092.0
Kinda gruesome, but looks like the AN took a direct hit.
2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

goinbatty

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:28:27 pm »
Rocky,
I neglected to respond to your question about enjoying the city.  My treatments were mid morning so by early afternoon we hit the city.  A bus runs from campus to the nearby Metro station.  We lucked up and it was warmer that week.  Since the museums close around 5:00-6:00, we went back to the hotel for dinner every night because by that time I was a bit tired.  Got to see my favorite - the Lincoln Memorial at night.  The only disappointment was the museum of American history was closed for renovation.  And you just can't miss the steps used in the Exorcist film.  It's about a block away from the edge of campus.  My husband tried running up them but as for me, I wouldn't step foot on them.  Of all the movies I've seen in my life, that one completely freaked me out.  And wouldn't you know the night we walked over there it was raining which added to it! 
I agree with JB that getting in touch with them after the fact was a little tough.  I had a few questions and it took a couple of emails to get a response.  I've since gotten a local ENT lined up to follow me, but plan to keep in touch with them since I think it's important for outcomes statistics. 
Sandra

1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:50:27 pm »
Sandra, been a couple of yrs for me since I've been there (my face pic here was taken outside the Lincoln Memorial... see my frappr page for full pics... you'll see where I'm standing!) :)  Wasn't there the Silver Dollar Cafe or something like that? when Decadron (or any of the steroids cause insomnia), great breakfast at 1am.

*ahem* for when I was younger and a MUCH more free spirit, that is! ;)

Smithsonian as well. Pick one of the buidings there and possibly do one, if you are up for it.  I enjoyed Native American as well as Space :)

sorry Rocky. I had to share what I noted above. To me, if you are going to go to DC... and if up for it, enjoy the sites if you can.

Phyl

ROCKYB

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 01:26:56 pm »
Thank you all for all your feedback you people are amazing.