Author Topic: 1st appointment - I'm joining the watch and wait crew  (Read 8728 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 1st appointment - I'm joining the watch and wait crew
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 12:11:30 pm »
Hi, Bethany:

Nice to have you back.  :)

I tried the 'pretend-it-isn't-there treatment method' by ignoring my symptoms as long as possible - but that didn't work for me, either.  I had to have an MRI and the AN showed up quite visibly so my denial phase was abruptly ended at that point.  I think your current approach - observation -  is perfectly logical, considering the size of the AN.

Any neurosurgeon with 4 AN surgeries per month on his resume is not only busy but well-experienced.  I would repeat my earlier caveat that asking about his outcomes is equally important.  I also believe that you should definitely consult with at least 3 surgeons, just to have a better field to pick from, if and when that time comes, as it well might.  You could wait until you have the results of your next MRI but do some research and at least have a few names in hand that you may want to talk to, down the road, as it were.

I wish you all the best as you deal with this issue in the months to come.

Jim (wishing I was 46 again).  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:25:42 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.