Author Topic: post surgery cyberknife questions  (Read 6064 times)

goinbatty

Re: post surgery cyberknife questions
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 08:40:21 pm »
Hi Kelli,
So relieved to hear it's all over with for you.  After CK, the main thing I noticed was intermittent fatigue.  And when it would get bad, I just laid my head on my desk for a brief power nap or frequently just taking a breather would be enough.  So take care and get plenty of rest.
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

altimhar

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 01:34:47 pm »
I am 62 and a Kaiser member in No Cal. They discover my AN 6/04. I had CK (3 sessions) on 12/05 at Stanford (Dr. Alder) because Dr. Nutik decided I was a poor candidate for surgery (failed back surgery 11/02). I  considered myself lucky to be approved so easily for CK in 2005. The treatments went smoothly and was painless. But my last MRI showed my AN has grown another 3mm to 23mm (01/08). If CK has failed then I am a candidate for brain surgery. So we "wait and see" until June.

I am starting to have eye twitches and facial spasms intermittently but advancing at a greater frequency. It happens in times of stress or if I get a deep chill. They don't recommend a second CK treatment (is this true?) so if there is new growth in June, I am facing surgery. I now suffer from extreme fatigue, chronic insomnia, poor concentration and short term memory loss (I'm working on it), constant headaches, punctuated by migraines. About 4 to 5 months ago I started having the most severe headaches behind my left ear (AN side).

If there is new growth, I will be likely be forced to have to have one of Kaiser's neurosurgeons do the work. Considering the experience required for such a procedure, I am curious of Kaiser's doctors expertise in this particular field. The head of neurosurgery at Kaiser (Redwood City, CA) is Dr. Stephen Nutik (http://www.permanente.net/homepage/doctor/stephennutik/). Anybody hear of him? I know that "doctors practice medicine", I just don't want them to "practice on me".

Has anyone had AN surgery from Kaiser? Has anyone had a failed CK treatment? Any suggestions where to go from here?

Thank you
Timothy

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 09:57:21 pm »
Hi Timothy,

I don't have a ready answer on AN surgery with Kaiser, but I know there are members here who use Kaiser, so they may be able to answer that. There have also been a few posts on failed radiation, including CK, though fortunately not very many.

My first suggestion would be to start a new topic, rather than posting on the end of this one. That will let more people see it, and you will be more likely to get some useful answers. First click on the title of the section you want to post in, such as Inquiries, or Radiation, or Microsurgery. Then click the New Topic button - it is located on the right hand side at the top. Then enter a subject, and make your post.

Don't be shy, that's what the forum is here for. And welcome to the forum, while I'm at it.

By the way, going from 20 to 23 mm is not a big change by most standards, it might just be some late swelling, or a variation in the MRI. Often they want to confirm growth with a second MRI, before doing anything else.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 06:13:40 am »
Hi Timothy and welcome. There was a terrific, recent discussion in our "Physician's" forum about Kaiser and Dr. Nutik.... maybe this link will be of help:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6405.msg61597#msg61597

Again, welcome,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

kelli

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 04:15:29 pm »
Hi Timothy,
I had a very good experience with Dr. Nutik.  He removed 90% of the tumor and I had the residual radiated with single dose cyberknife about a month ago at Stanford.  If you would like to talk to me about my experience with kaiser, please let me know.  I'm very happy with the outcome of my surgery and I am feeling better every day.  I still have headaches, double vision and dizziness but part of it may be the radiation as well as the surgery.  Every day is a little bit better and healing can take some time.  I'm so happy to have the surgery and radiation behind me and I can look forward to the rest of my life.
Take care and let me know if you want to talk about Dr. Nutik and kaiser.
Best wishes,
kelli
Diagnosed 3cm AN January 2007
Tried holistic treatments for one year. Finally had posterior fossa at Kaiser Redwood City with Dr. Nutik on Dec 20. Followed by cyberknife at Stanford in April for residual tumor.
Thank you Dr. Nutik!