Author Topic: Varying loudness of the ringing?  (Read 5439 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Varying loudness of the ringing?
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:18:50 pm »
Okay, so the ringing in my ear is SUPER LOUD today..  I had noticed that when my allergies / sinuses were bugging me that it affected the loudness, but have been regularly taking my Allegra D to keep the allergies from flaring up.. But, tonight I feel like I'm at a concert of computer beeps..  Has anyone been able to determine what may make the ringing louder on certain days than on others?  Typically during the day while at work I can ignore it because there's enough other noise and I'm so busy that I can just tune it out..  All day (even after Allegra) it's been much louder to the point that I haven't been able to tune it out.

Anyone have any tricks or at least an explaination as to why that happens?  Weather, perhaps?

Regards,

Pooter...
(22 days and counting til translab and postie-land!)
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

LADavid

Re: Varying loudness of the ringing?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:02:34 am »
Hey Pooter
As a 23 year vet of tinnitus and can tell you one thing for certain -- there is nothing certain about it.  According to research, caffiene, alcohol, stimulants, cigarettes all have an effect on the severity of the ringing or whatever your sound is.  I have found that generally, the quieter my surroundings, the more I notice it.  Eventually it becomes a part of you to the point where you really don't notice it unless you think about it (like now).Maybe if you think back on the things that you did, or ate, or medicine you took during the days when the ringing is the loudest, it might give you a key as to what makes yours worse.  I do know that extended exposure to an iPod or a cell phone increases mine.  I've been taking Lipo-Flavonoid for my balance -- it's supposed to relieve tinnitus as well.  I haven't noticed a difference.  Good luck with it -- I know what the deal is and it's a pain in the butt.  If it's any consulation, you're in the company of about 30 million other Americans including David Letterman, William Shatner, Neil Young, Bill Clinton, Steve Martin and on...  I know it doesn't make it any better for you -- but you do have a lot of people who understand.

Peace
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:58:08 am »
Hey, Pooter -

you posted a picture.  Good to "see" you  :)

Sorry to hear about the tinnitus, I can't offer any earth shattering advice because thankfully I don't have tinnitus.  Those I know who do have it say much the same as David said - certain things can aggravate it, so you might want to experiment with limiting those things.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 07:03:01 am »
Thanks, guys!  I figured as much that I'd have to experiment.  Like I said, I definitely can tell a difference when my allergies are acting up, but taking allegra up until now has helped.  But, as luck would have it dear wife woke up this morning and told me that something is definitely in the air because her sinuses were going nuts (which almost never happens), so perhaps it's just so much "junk" in the air that even allegra can't fight it off.

Come to think of it, I have been listening to a lot more music lately than normal.  I gues sub-consciously I'm wanting to "hear" as much as possible knowing that in 3 weeks it'll all be different.  *shrug*  Just call me Dr. Pooter and I'll start experimenting.  However, from what I've read the whole ringing changes somewhat after surgery, so perhaps I shouldn't nail down my magic cure until after then. :)

Yes, I posted a picture and a signature!  As my son (3) would say, I'm not "fancy fancy".  ;)

Pooter...
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

danijake

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:35:31 pm »
Mine's just there. Everyday when I wake up till I go to bed at night. It's more of a loud static sound instead of a beeping. Sometimes--very rarely, I won't have it. But that's rare.

If you find out what makes it better let us know so we can try it too!!! ;)

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 06:39:05 pm »
I think the dense humidity makes T worse.  Too bad, because in East and South Texas every other day in the spring and fall are humid to the point of rain or fog.  I am not bothered by it any more, though I have it constantly, a background hiss and a sound induced jingle.  In a quiet room I get the hiss.  The rustle of a sheet of paper, the clicking of these keys, etcetera gives me the jingle.  I refuse to think about it.  I have no cure.  I refused to go without my coffee anyway!   :)

There are no work-arounds yet for T.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:46:33 pm by Boppie »

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 04:23:56 pm »
Brian:

As a fellow tinnitus sufferer, I agree that tinnitus can be real annoying.  Fortunately, it's physically harmless and something millions of people live with, as David correctly pointed out.  I have no idea if allergies, weather, certain foods or beverages or even global warming have any bearing on the severity of a person's tinnitus but as a long-time sufferer, I opt to push forward, as we all do, and not dwell on it.  Life is too short to spend too much time on things we cannot realistically change and that can only distress us if we allow them to take up too much space in our consciousness.  I don't and I doubt you will, either.  Now, time for another cup of coffee.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 07:42:20 pm »
Hi Brian.  I think you look fancy -fancy enough!   :D

I never had the ringing in my ears before my translab, but I do get it every now and then now - it seems to happen mostly when I'm really tired.  That's how I know it's time for bed.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

danijake

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 06:01:39 am »
The "ringing", or "static" I mentioned before seems to make my headaches worse. It was very loud yesterday and my headache was resistant to everything(tyl.,ibu. and benadryl). I woke up this morning and couldn't "sneak up on" this one. It's BAD. :'(  I just wanted to add that.

(Hopeful for you to have no problems post-op 8))

Dani

Boppie

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:08:44 pm »
Dani, I hate to say wait a little longer but it seems true.  My jangling nerves and irritability about loud noise settled down for me during months 12-24 post op.  I can't say I noticed the subtle parts of the improvement, but in the past two months I have noticed a few giant steps. I have always been able to ignore the tinnitus, but other loud noises and electonic sounds have plagued me until recent months.  So I want to attribute the improvement to nerve adjustment and further recovery.

You can give yourself credit for trying to put the recovery behind you but it just comes in its own time.  I think you are a busy person with a family to care for.  Count the gold medals.  Mothers Day is coming! :)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 02:17:30 pm »
Hi, Pooter

I, too, have tinnitus. Mine has a variety of sounds, but what is always present is what sounds like a flourescent bulb that's about to die. I've noticed that it's louder as the dizzines get worse. I'm lucky in that I don't have allergies, so that doesn't affect it.

Since many sounds are distorted on my AN side anyway, I just stuff a piece of a cotton ball in my ear to filter out the annoying sounds.

I've experimented a bit by sometimes not using the cotton. The results are pretty consistent. The tinnitus is louder at the end of the day when I don't use the cotton. So I just keep cotton balls handy.

Hope this helps.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

er

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 04:28:08 pm »
LADavid
you said you have been taking Lipo-Flavonoid for your balance & to relieve tinnitus, you say you see a difference, is it really helping?
I did read up on it , now I am courious. I have not had any coffee for the past week because I got sick so I have had no desire to drink it but I have not noticed any difference. I have notice my acid reflex has not been bothering me.
eve