Author Topic: Tired of falling  (Read 7872 times)

er

Tired of falling
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:20:34 pm »
I have not been on for a while, no excuse just busy. We have made a move since I last wrote. My sons and their family's and my husband and I moved from Oregon to  TX.  A  is a small part of Houston .
2 weeks ago I took a fall walking out of a store on to the asphalt . A few weeks before ,  I was carrying my almost 2 year old granddaughter and I fell out in my cement garage floor where I still had a mass in because of the move. On the way down all I could think about of was my granddaughter hitting her head on the slab and falling on top of her. She some how managed not to get hurt or was just to worried about grandma that she didn't complain. But this brave little girl went inside the house to tell my husband and son's  that I had fallen. Only one of them understood what she said, "nana fall!" Oh, and today I took a nice blow to the left side of my lip getting out of the drivers side on the car door. I have a nice fat lip. This is just a few of my clumsiness since I got my AN. I did get a good report last week on my 3 year anniversary MRI. No signs of AN!!!!!
When or How can I stop falling?  I hurt when I get on my knees from the falls. :'(
eve

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: Tired of falling
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 08:56:35 pm »
HI Evelia,
    I am so sorry to hear about your falling. I can totally relate. I am 3 1/2 yrs post op and still have terrible balance issues.   The summer after my surgery in an attempt to get back to normal as much as possible, I really pushed myself and tried to go hiking on the easier trainl s around my house.  I fel and fell and fell. Finally I fell and hurt my knee so badly, I was backc in the OR having my knee scoped 3 weeks before my 1 year AN aniversary.  Now everytime I fall, it seems I always land on that bad knee.  When I llok back I realize I was having balance issues before my diagnosis. I just thought I was clumsy.  Your story about your grand daughter reminds me of my fall down the stairs holding my 2 year old.  Like you, all I could think of was keeping her from getting hurt. In an attempt to keep from landing on her, I twisted my body as I rolled down the stairs and landed on my shoulder, dislocating the A/C joint.  I'm always "almost" falling when truning to quickly etc.  last month I took a fall and landed on, yep, the bad knee, and my left hand. I now have my wrist in a brace, go in for an MRI on it on Tue to get the news of what they can do to fix it.  Got the tendon popping out of place now and it's the arm that has the already bad shoulder.  I swear, I feel like the AN should ahve been enough, but I keep beating myself up.  SO Evelia,  as I know it is very frustrating,  your not alone.  :-\
Check out my thread under Balance,  "vestibular nerve fibers"  I am looking into that to see if any improvement can be found.

Take Care, and HOLD ON to something  LOL

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

claire1

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:07:48 pm »
Hi Eve

I can relate to what your going through.  Since I found out 1 1/2 years ago I'm the queen of the "fall" (No It's not a dance) But it might as well be.  I've tripped,over nothing  (my feet), My head went through sheetrock as I was falling near a wall, I've got a plate and seven screws in my wrist from falling back when my feet got tangled together,neumerous other falls. 

What has made a BIG HUGH difference is when the dr's told me I either had to get a cane or a walking stick. I had no choice in the matter so I choose a walking stick.

I'm also in vestibular rehab to teach my brain to compensate for the dizziness-uncordination-balance problems,whatever you want to call it.  The walking stick has helped and the vest. rehab has as well.

It will take awhile for the brain to compensate or we learn how to compensate ourselves, but be patient. That's what they keep telling me.

I'm scheduled for gamma knife radiation in May 2008 and by starting the vestibulsar rehab. prior, the dr's said I had a better chance of much less problems with balance after GM.

Stay Strong
Claire

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 11:19:38 pm »
Eve,

Greetings from Oregon.

8 months ago I was having serous balance issues after surgery

I have come a heck of a long way since last August- in my recovery. This link has a photo of me riding a bike with “no hands�.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5584.msg56072#msg56072

The Oregon physician, assigned to me for follow-up, told me that I will never be back to who I was pre-surgery - specifically with the balance. He told me that vestibular therapy would not help. (I.e. He and I are not on the same line of thinking as far as the effectiveness of physical therapy. He did not refer me to anyone.) I down loaded various exercises and worked on balance with a palates ball , a rolla bolla and  purposely walking on uneven ground for 6 months- independently at home. We made a video and this photo (on the above link) of me on a bike (ie no hands)- to prove my point.

“There ARE things you can do to improve balance and things you can do to avoid poor balance episodes. �

It is imperative that you find a safe area where you can challenge your balance and make your brain re-train hard -to compensate. I started with trying to sit on my palettes ball without touching the ground. I surrounded myself with sofa cushions in case I toppled (and I did- at first) Walking on uneven ground, while someone is alongside you, will also help you. I find if I do not keep up with my daily exercises I can have days of regression. (The “use it or loose it� philosophy)

Another thing you need to be conscious of is your salt intake. It is well documented that high sodium can affect balance.

Here is a link to a vestibular clinic in Oregon.
http://www.legacyhealth.org/body.cfm?id=1902
 Maybe call them, explained that you moved to Texas and ask if they have any vestibular therapist colleagues in Texas -they can recommend to you.

“Satman� is down there in Texas and he went though therapy – maybe he can recommend someone. (I’ll send him a PM)

I just punched into Google “Texas vestibular therapy�

And this was my first hit
#1 http://www.earsoftexas.com/balance_ther.htm

#2 Denise Gobert, PT, PhD
http://www.health.txstate.edu/pt/

#3 http://www.bcm.edu/oto/cfbd/rehab.html

Looks as you have more options down in big ole TEXAS than we have here in Oregon- so perhaps you have moved to the right place…

Here is a little video that sort of explains balance issues and vestibular therapy.
http://mediapedia.wikidot.com/treating-balance-problems

No matter how smoothly your move was – moving is still stressful. You still have things in places you are not yet used to there in Texas – as you may have been in your Oregon home. Stories of retired folks having tripping and falling incidents, after moving into a new home, - are not uncommon.

Prevention

•   Try to get a regular routine established in your new home as soon as possible.
•   Keep up with a regular exercise program. (I know this is hard when you just moved in and you feel you have so much to do)
•   The sooner you are unpacked and organized the sooner you will subconsciously know where things are (like finding things in the kitchen without having to think about it while you are cooking etc)
•   You are in a new setting with new stimulus (grandkids etc) – this is when accidents are going to happen. I know I am most accident prone when I am in a loud environment – it is all part of the acoustic neuroma thing. Sometimes I wear an earplug around the kids as when the tinnitus is going strong I am clumsier… but I am learning to cope.

By your photo you posted here you look quite young and certainly not elderly… Here is a link that does talk about how elderly people are challenged with falls when in a new environment
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40025127/

(We have aging parents so I have book marked a bunch of links)

Well there I have probably given you more info and links than you cared for- but maybe some of the info may be of use to you.

All the best to you in your new home! Texas huh? I have never been to Texas...

Daisy Head Mazy
(Formerly “4�)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 06:27:06 am »
Eve,

Welcome to Texas.  I live South of Houston, just North of Galveston.  I also have balance problems and have to work on them daily.  I tried to ride my bike the other day and as they say, "don't give up your day job".  That is the best way I can descibe the experience.  My legs are a mess.
I do think that I am better than I was almost three years ago before I had my AN surgery.
If I can do anything to help your transition form Seatle to Houston, please let me know.  Our weather is a WHOLE lot different.
Again, welcome and I am so sorry about your balance problems.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

er

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 02:01:28 pm »
Patti UT
Thank you for sharing your story and knowing I am not alone.
Oh, what a horrible feeling to think that we might hurt one of our grandchildren or children.
claire1
It looks like your have been worse that mines I am so sorry. I did get a walker and a cane but I never know when the problem is going to happen. I should recognize times that I do need to carry it like going to church , shopping, or the airport, it is worse when the wind is blowing. I will check on vestibules rehab. Good luck on your surgery my prayers will be with you, You didn‘t say what day of May.

4cm in Pacific Northwest
Thank you for the compliment, I am 57 years old & my husband is 65. I do admit since my AN surgery I have gotten a lot more energy than I had. The ringing in my ear even though its 24-7 there are times that it drowns a lot of noise and it make balance worse.
You are a pretty brave person to try balancing on a bike. I did look up the sights I will research them further.
Brendalu

Thank you Brendalu, I might take you up on it. I still need to find a neurologist the last doctor I saw was worried about my cognitive part of my brain, .
I also received a flyer to a ANA meeting in Sugar Land, I might just go. I was surprised that they knew I had moved. 

satman

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 04:07:50 am »
Hi there Evelia, I live in Dallas and had some great success with therapy,depending on the day of course,as they are all different at this part of the journey. I wont go into the long story but I had a 8 cm removed and went from wheelchair to cane to holding onto walls ,etc...
What you are going through sounds vestibular related.I had my vestibular therapy at Plano Presbetarian Hospital in Plano Texas.
Not sure how to spell that [Presb] ,anyway ,you might whant to call them and get a refferal in the Houston area.
Whith this type of therapy the Dizzies will disappaer.
Some of the things they had me do at home was,hold a pencil [any object] about a foot away from your eyes and move the pencil left and right,hold your head still and track the pencil with your eyes. Next one,hold your hand still with the pencil and turn your head left to right while keeping your eyes focused on the object.Next one,Tape a letter of the alphabet on the wall,about 5 ft away and do the same as if you were holding the object. You will have to challenge yourself over and over,even when you dont feel like doing it. Before doing this myself ,I could not walk across the street because I could not look for on-coming cars,looking left and right while walking was not working very well for me at the time,now I boogie right along.Please start the exercise's sitting on the bed and the more dizzy you get,and you will,the exercise's are working like thier supposed to. dont do too much at a time though,it will make you sick to your stomach.
I bet Plano Presb can reccommend some one in your area. Pm me if I can help.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Brendalu

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 04:57:51 am »
"Thank you Brendalu, I might take you up on it. I still need to find a neurologist the last doctor I saw was worried about my cognitive part of my brain, .
I also received a flyer to a ANA meeting in Sugar Land, I might just go. I was surprised that they knew I had moved. "

Eve,  I got one too, but Sugarland is too far away for me to drive and the traffic going that was isn't on my best thingd to do list.  The gal that is heading them up is going to try to have them spread out a bit.  Houston is so large they really need to have one in the each area.  I don't think some people realize that our population is 5 million and we are 70 miles wide and at least that long!  Check with me anytime.
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:04:40 pm »
RE Quoting Brendalu
“don't think some people realize that our population is 5 million and we are 70 miles wide and at least that long! “

WOW you Texan’s sure do things in a BIG way (tease grin LOL  ;) :D)

Daisy Head Maizy :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

er

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 09:55:44 pm »
Thank you Satman,
I was doing that kind of exercise when my stick matism was acting up, it did work.
I will go ahead and try it. I have been doctoring my good and bad ear, I don't know if it is allergies or just the wind here lately that are making my ears sore. I do know that will cause a lot of my problem.
eve

Brendalu

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 05:15:37 am »
RE Quoting Brendalu
“don't think some people realize that our population is 5 million and we are 70 miles wide and at least that long! “

WOW you Texan’s sure do things in a BIG way (tease grin LOL  ;) :D)

Daisy Head Maizy :)

We try really hard!  :o

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:07:22 am »
Yeah, you all do, Brendalu! :D ;)

Balance issues... oh joy in my life.  I have a double diagnosis that throws off my balance... the AN and Chiari 1 Malformation.  Now, being the youngin' that I am.... I have resorted to use of a cane.  As a former runner and power walker (4 miles/day, 6 days/week), it kills me that I now must use a cane, but over time, I have come to learn that there are worse things in life....so, I now view my cane (walking stick as my Bloke and UK friends call it) as a fashion statement. I have resorted to the fact that it's now a permanent appendage for me.... and heck, folks hold doors for me now (great to see good manners are still in effect)..... but most of all, it gives me the stability I need.  When I walk Ms. Queenie Beanie, the Healing "toot" Queen (my pug).... I don't use my cane as she pulls me one way or another, which does give me a great chance to work on balance issues by trying to counteract her "pull" from the leash.... but, I'm glad I now use one...... if it helps, then go for it.

I'm prepping to do my 2nd Breast Cancer Walk in May for a very dear breast cancer survivor friend of mine (breast cancer patient last year, breast cancer survivor this year) and last year... I did the short course (3 miles vs. the 6 miles), in soaking rains, with my cane.  This year, I'm thinking of decorating my cane all pink for the cause (our team name is "Think Pink"....).  Again, another fashion statement to help me achieve a worthy cause.......

For me... I'd rather have the balance stability vs. potential fall and injury.

Just my thoughts....
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Brendalu

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 06:17:44 am »
Phyl,
You continue to amaze me!  I saw a pink cane in the drug store the other day...was thinking about adding it to my wardrobe of canes.  My grandkids say I have one to match every season, I say I have one to match every mood.  Being a twenty-two year cancer survivor, I think pink is a great color.  Post a picture of yours decorated!  It'll be best in show!!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 08:12:49 am »
naw, just being me :)  :-*

I know team pics will be taken... and if I lose a few more pounds (ok... 2 stones for you UK folks!) by then, pics will be shared :)  Will be walking for you... and many others here that I know that have fought the battle... and won! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

er

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 09:15:08 pm »
Great Phyl,
It has been a while since i have done a walk a thon for cancer . good luck. I like pink I think I will paint my cane pink
eve