Author Topic: Newbie in Houston  (Read 7673 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Newbie in Houston
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:32:14 am »
Greetings everyone.  I've spent the better part of the day today scouring through information in the forum.  Some of it was enlightening, some was disheartening and some was scary as heck!  I may have already answered my own questions inernally, but I'm going to post them anyhow.

Background:  2 days ago I was diagnosed with a 3cm AN on the right side.  I already have pretty severe hearing loss and tinitus (sp?), but fortunately no other symptoms.  I've already met with Dr. Vrabec (highly touted from some that I've seen), and meet with Dr. Trask on Tuesday.  Surgery, at this point, appears to be the only option because of the size and location (getting dangerously close to the brain stem).  I've also resigned myself to the fact that I will lose all hearing on that side as a reasult of the surgery.  Small price to pay if they can get all of it out, I guess.  I should find out next week after meeting with Dr. Trask when they're going to schedule the surgery.

Questions:  I've read throughout the forum of people taking anywhere from a couple of weeks to 18+ months to recover to be able to return to a "normal" working life.  The optimist in me wants to believe that given the size and location of the AN that my brain has already done some level of adjustment already over time and that balance and other issues will be lessoned because of that.  On the other hand, I've seen others with seemigly similar situations that took much longer to be able to function normally (to drive to work, to walk without bumping into things or even without getting so nauseous that they throw up, etc..).  I guess I'm wondering what I can realistically expect for post-op recovery time.  The answer I've come up with myself, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that it all depends.  Everyone's body and AN is different so the recovery time is going to be different for everyone, so I cannot realistically gear myself up for a recovery time of X because it likely will be something totally different than that.  I don't want to psyche myself into thinking it's going to be quick to set myself up for disappointment when it's longer than that.  But, the prospect of it being a significant amount of time really bothers me.  If it helps, I'm an IT Manager for a small-ish company, therefore there is a possibility of me being able to do some work from home in bed with a laptop, but I haven't seen anything about how likely that is and how soon post-op it would be possible to do that.  Additionally, I'm curious about what the "gotchas" are for post-op?  What do I need to prepare myself (and my 2 small children) for how life changes for me afterwards?

All of this has come to light very suddenly and is exteremely worrisome.  I am encouraged by all of the posts of people having gone through similar situations and, while sometimes difficult and long recovery times, they do make it through somewhat normally.  It's comforting to find a place where others have experienced the same emotional, physical and other issues that I'm now faced with.  In short, it's nice to not feel alone with how scared I am.

I'm sorry if I haven't been precise with all the terminology.  It's all still new to me.  I guess I'll become somewhat of an expert on it as time goes on.  ;)

I'll continue to scour the forum and guidance.  I appreciate any responses in advance.

Regards,

Pooter...   8)
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

Re: Newbie in Houston
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:52:20 am »
Pooter~
Welcome to a fellow TEXAN!!! 
Sorry that you have had to join us, but glad that you are here -- there are wonderful people here with LOTS of care and support!  I had my surgery in Houston (12 years ago) at Methodist.  We come there a LOT as my sweet hubby's family live there - maybe we can get together some time!  You are right in deducting that every AN is different as is everyones' reaction to surgery.  There is just absolutely no way to say that you will recover in a certain amount of time.  I do think that there has been so many advances in medicine since I had my surgery that recoveries are much quicker these days.  I also think that when you go in prepared, it makes it easier.  We knew NOTHING (not even that I would sacrifice my hearing) b/c it was a kind of rush-rush thing.  I had a fairly difficult time, but I came out on the other side and have a WONDERFUL life now!!  I would LOVE to chat more with you - if you'd like, you can send me a PM and give me your phone number and I will call you.  Also, I have a blog if you want to see what life is like for me AFTER surgery (it starts from the back - newest posts come up first)!  The address is below!
Please let me know if I can be of any help!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jtd71465

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:57:37 pm »
Unfortunately I have to say welcome to the group (or team).  We have several things in common, I'm an IT manager, have two young children (6 and 8) and had my AN surgery in January 2007.

My AN was not the same size, it was 1cm X 1cm x 7mm.  I had no complications and returned to work full-time during the first week of March (driving 70 miles a day) I was however doing "laptop work" from home from about day 14 on-wards.

Your assessment is correct in that we cannot predict the outcome of your surgery, what we can say is make the decision that you are comfortable with and stay positive.  Also reach out to all on this board for their positive stories...we truly do have a collection of great individuals.

If you want please do not hesitate to contact me via a Private Message.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:22:58 pm »
Pooter -

welcome to our little AN club.  Sorry you have to be here, but there are worse things.  It's normal to feel scared and overwhelmed when you are diagnosed, but you will get through this.  And the good news, is that we will help you.

Like you say in your post, everyone is different and everyone's recovery is different.  Some have lots of problems post op, some have a few.  Most docs will tell you that recovery from surgery will take approximately 6 weeks.  From the description of your job, IMO you could be working from home within a few weeks of your surgery if all goes well.

As far as the children go, I can't stress enough that you will need help during your recovery, especially if they are young.  My two children were 11 when I had my surgery last year and I couldn't have gotten through everything without the help of my family.  Post op you most likely will be very tired and it will be a little while before you can drive.  Typically the hospital stay is 4 to 7 days.  In addition, your balance will be affected for a period of time and possibly your eyesight.  You will make improvements daily, but recovery takes a lot of patience.

I don't want to give you the impression that AN surgery is the most terrible thing in the world, but it is major surgery and it takes time to recover from it. 

There a lot of scary stories on this forum, but there are also many inspiring stories and many success stories.  Rest assured that there is usually a solution to all the problems that an AN can cause.  There is a lot of support here and the people on this forum will be more than willing to help you through anything you may encounter.

If you do lose all your hearing in your AN ear, there are options.  The BAHA or the TransEar are both excellent solutions to SSD (single-sided deafness).  I just had BAHA surgery five weeks ago and I can't say enough about it.

Hang in there,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 01:41:45 pm »
Hi Pooter:  So glad you found this site - I found it a few months after my surgery.....

Everyone's given such great advice.   All I can add is:  YOU ARE BIGGER THAN THE AN IS ! !   

Try to keep a peaceful heart during this journey.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 01:44:38 pm »
Welcome ! I too am in IT (Programmer) .. and yes I worked from home a couple weeks.  Large tumor and was very slow in recovery ... everyone is a little different... the key is to just keep at it ... it does get better with time ... I left the hospital in a walker .. and today 2+ years later.. I'm out Kayaking every chance I get..
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 01:48:24 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 06:19:13 pm »
Pooter,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, a diagnosis is a shock especially when a word like "tumor" is used.You are doing the right thing by going out and trying to find information before making a commitment to a treatment.  As you may know, there is no *best* way to treat it. They all can have unanticipated
consequences--even waiting and watching.  It ends up being an individual
decision.

After all my reading, I learned that the treatment choice depends on the
size of the tumor, its location, and your hearing level mostly. It  took me
until September  (and I was diagnosed in May2001 and my treatment was at
the end of November2001) to know what I really wanted to do and where to go.
I considered each treatment option seriously and oftentimes felt overwhelmed
with all of the information.

My right sided growth was 1.5 cm. After reflecting over my experience, I
want to *emphasize* one thing: the experience, expertise and passion of the
doctor you select for treatment means everything no matter which treatment.
Most agree that they need experience with more than 100 cases. 

Through my reading, I also learned about potential side effects and about
the many excellent facilities throughout the country. One of the first
decisions I made was that this was unique enough of a condition that it
warranted going where the expertise was. I looked for patterns in the posts on the listserv related to
treatments and doctors. The listservs and guest books provide great info,
but it can also raise anxiety because each tumor is individual.

Then it dawned on me that I didn't know how listserv member's posts and the
side effects they were experiencing fit into the larger picture.How frequent
were side effects related to the various treatments?  Could I generalize
from the qualitative data?
That caused me to put together a chart.  I wanted to know
the data related to
hearing preservation, facial nerve preservation,  in relationship to the
size of the tumor etc... It is another way to look at treatments.

This chart compared some of the various treatments using citations from
medical professionals, websites, or physician's e-mails. It is a laypersons
attempt to condense medical citations and information and that makes this
chart different from most. However, I am *not* a medical professional and no
decision should be made based on the chart. It was meant
to be a starting point for a conversation with your doctor. Please e-mail me if you'd like a copy.

The chart also includes some of the most common websites.. I also put myself
through some questions that helped me make my decision. They are included
under the heading "One Size does not Fit All" at the http://anworld.com/

Here is another link that you may find useful when you go to the doctor. I found it absolutely necessary to come in prepared with a list of questions to ask the doctor. Otherwise the doctors say what they want to say and are out of the room before you have a chance to digest what they have said and then to gather your thoughts enough to ask intelligent questions.The beauty of it is that you can print it out as many times as is necessary and there is a space for you to write notes.
http://anworld.com/questions/

Kindest Regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:33:19 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the kind posts.  And, a special shout out to Boppie for the private messages!

Jan:  Thanks for the advice on the kid(s) front.  I definitely have that covered.  My wife will be here, obviously, to help on that front.  Likewise, I have my mom and sister in Austin who are already making plans to come and help if needed.  And, I have had several friends tell me to give their numbers to my wife and to have her call them if help is needed.  Some of them called her directly and offered their help.  It's truly amazing the outpouring of offers from friends and family.

Kaybo:  Thanks for the offer to talk.  If I find myself in a position where that's needed, then I'll definitely let you know.  Luckily, I have a very good support system that reaches not only in the Houston area (where I am) but also to Austin (friends and family) and all the way to Pittsburgh (family).  As stated above, there has been an absolute outpouring of support from friends and family.  It's almost to the point of being annoying with people calling me daily (or multiple times daily) to make sure that I don't need anything or just to offer their support.  Of course, none of these people have ever gone through what I am, but they all have their own unique experiences to draw upon.  Anyhow, if I feel the need to talk personally to someone who's "been there", I'll definitely keep ya in mind.  :)

Joe:  Fellow IT Manager, eh?  Did you have issues with multitasking postop?  I'm assuming you do similar things to what I do and multitasking is a requirement of what I do, and I've heard that multitasking is problematic for some period of time post-op.  I mean, it's a daily thing for me to working on small programming project, talking on the phone solving someone's technical issue, responding to an email request for help, and trying to plan my next system upgrade all at the same time.  How difficult is that going to be down the road?

JoeF:  Very encouraging story.  I'm not so much into kayaking, but I am involved with a YMCA program with my daughter where we go camping 6+ times a year.  I'm really hoping that we can continue that program.  It means so much to her (and to me) that we get to spend a lot of quality time together during those campouts.  In fact, we may miss our last campout this "season" in 3 weeks depending on when the surgery is scheduled and I'm really not looking forward to telling her that we can't go.  On the way home from the last one (last weekend), she asked me when we were going again.  The good news, I guess, is that after this next one, we won't be scheduled to go again until September, so that gives me a goal for recovery time. ;)

Nancy:  Thanks for the encouraging words.  I'm trying to stay positive.  At least I'm over my fear of dieing on the table, which was my first great fear. ;)

Kate:  Thanks for the link.  I looked through the site and found some good information.

Thanks again all.  I'll be around scouring the forum trying to gleen as much information as possible before surgery. 

Regards,

Brian  (Pooter)

Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 10:44:15 pm »
Brian -

I camped with my daughter and her Girl Scout troop 3 weeks post op and didn't have any issues.  But you can always wait until your last campout of this season is over to have your surgery.  ANs are typically slow growing and in most cases you don't have to make an immediate treatment decision - unless of course you want to.

In addition to searching the posts on this forum for information, you might want to contact the ANA and ask them to send you some brochures.  Or you can get more information under the "overview" section on the opening page of this website.   There is also a "medical resources" section that lists doctors who have lots of experience in treating ANs.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 06:32:40 am »
Pooter,
Welcome to Houston!  So sorry you found us because of an AN, but welcome to the club.  I've heard the doctors you chose are excellant. 
I had trans lab for a 3.5 cm AN.  I think that your age has a lot to do with the outcome, as does your attitude.
It has taken me longer than I expected to bounce back, but I am bouncing.  I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 05:20:34 pm »
Hi Brian and welcome.  I see the gang is showing the support we all come to love on this site... and hoping all you are researching is helping.  I'm just going to add my "welcome" with everyone else's and sending wishes for wellness to you.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 10:11:55 pm »
Just to update everyone.  I have an appointment with Dr. Trask (neurosurgeon) tomorrow.  And, I found out today that my surgery has been scheduled for 5/8!  So, the countdown begins.

More questions that have come up since I first posted that perhaps others can share their wisdom:

1) What sort of pain issues should I expect either that first week (or so) in the hospital?  Is it bad enough that pain meds will be necessary?
2) Are headaches (severe ones) expected?  Early on?  How about later?
3) How much will I remember the stay in the hospital (4-7 days post-op)?  Will I be so hopped up that I won't remember anything?  Part of that question surrounds the possibility of my 2 small kids coming to visit me there.  I don't want to freak them out (and I'd like to remember their visit).  If I'm hopped up and acting "funny" then I'm not sure I want them to come up there.
4) What's really involved with the balance re-training?  I believe I'll be having the translab, so I know that they'll be removing the parts that help control that.  Is it a case where I just can't keep myself straight?  Dizzyness?  What's the feeling?  Is it like being really drunk or something else?  Typically, how long does that re-training take (or is that what the 4-6 weeks of recovery is for?)  I'm trying to understand what I may be feeling or dealing with during this period.
5)  Does anyone see any issue with waiting for almost 4 weeks for the surgery given the size (3cm)?  I'm not really worried, but some of my family seems concerned that it's "so far away" given the break-neck speeds at which everything has been going so far.

I know, lots of questions.  I'm an information freak so I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it (pardon the pun).  ;)

Thanks again for all the information and well wishes so far.

Regards,

Brian

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 10:41:22 pm »
Okay, a couple more questions I forgot about..

I'm basically blind without my glasses / contacts..  what kind of bandages are used after the surgery?  Is my whole head going to be wrapped up or just a bandage at the incision site? 

Am I going to be able to wear my glasses without much trouble?  I'm assuming they won't let me put contacts in (my preferred method to see), but I hate not being able to see clearly so I at least want to wear my glasses.  Is that going to present a problem in some way?

Once again, an information freak trying to get as much understanding of what may be coming...

Thanks again,

Brian

Mark

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 10:50:49 pm »
Hi Brian,

I was a radiosurgery patient so I'll defer to those who have gone the surgery route to answer most of your questions but I'll try to help with a couple of them

1) I would assume pain meds will be part of the process for the first few days at least. Having a skull based procedure and spending at least one day in ICU, it would be hard to believe you wouldn't have those prescribed
2) very individual from what I've seen, but also very dependent on the surgical route. Much more common with a sub occipital approach than Mid fossa or translab
3) Can't help you with that one, other than a few moths ago I had a colonoscopy which was only 30 minutes under a sedative and I remember waking up and having very coherent discussions with my wife that I couldn't remember 6 hours later ( according to her). Compare that to  being under general anesthesia for 4-8 hours and I would guess you will be out of sorts for some time, but again I'll defer to those who have walked that path before.
4) Translab involves removing the entire hearing mechanism including the balance nerve portion so your body will have to adapt to that. Balance in our brains is really a gyroscope of several parts, our vision, the balance nerves and other cues that affect the brain. For most of us the AN's grow slowly enough that even when the affected balance nerve function decreases the rest of the gyroscope functions adapt. Removing it all at once will cause more adjustment. but you will adapt to it.
5) Nope, AN's probably grow 2 mm a year on average, so odds are you've had a 3 cm almost 15 years. It won't increase in size of any consequence in 4 weeks, nothing to worry about in that regard.

Hopefully others will share their surgical experiences with you, but I'm sure you'll come through it just fine

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 05:06:53 am »
Brian,
I was trans lab.  The bandage was a over the incision.  I too wear glasses and can't see without them.  I took an old pair and they were pretty stretched out to say the least.  Some take the bow off on the incision side.  I preferred med for the first couple of days was the morphine drip! (I have too many allergies to list, so the normal pain meds weren't available to me)  I thought my head and face looked like David Beckmann soccer ball after the game.  I had lots of visitors.  Would rather not have had any. Most were sight seers!
Read the headache section of the forum.  I am a headache sufferer.  Not all are.  I wasn't prior to surgery.  I am almost three years out and my balance is the pitts.  Others are doing fine with it.  I have been to all kinds of PT and walk daily.  I have other health issues, so I am saying that they are the cause.  I remember my stay at the hospital very well.  I wish I didn't.  I do know that I would never be a patient in that hospital again.  Others had great experiences.
I had a lousy attitude about the whole process and that is not the way to be.  My attitude is much better these days and it shows.
My AN was 3.5cm.  It was found in May and because the neuro surgeon couldn't get the team he wanted or insisted on , my surgery wasn't until July 28. (My surgery last eleven hours) I think the longer you wait the more your nerves take a beating, but remember AN's are normally slow in the growth department.
I'm not trying to scare you.  I came through the ordeal and as I said my attitude was bad.  You will do great and your kids will be fine with the new you!
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT