Author Topic: Need Synkinesis Advice/Input  (Read 20409 times)

Kaybo

Re: Need Synkinesis Advice/Input
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 05:28:12 am »

Steve~
I think it would be kinky if it were someone else doing to you...maybe David can check into that!    ;D

K

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 07:02:48 am »
Steve & K -

you guys are SO bad  :o

David -

good idea to talk to the Capt about SS.  She definitely won't steer you wrong  :)

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 09:43:26 am »

Steve~
I think it would be kinky if it were someone else doing to you...maybe David can check into that!    ;D

K

K and Steve, I think David meant his face.... :D

My goodness, we're going to have to start watching these Moderators...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:38 am »
Jeez.  All this wicked stuff posted as I was sleeping  ;).  Simon (Chambo) knows what I'm talking about.  It's a "face" cheek massage.  I think that's to get rid of the synkinesis.  But who knows it might work to stimulate the muscles for folks with palsy.  I'll keep you posted if I pick up some advice.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2008, 12:22:23 pm »
David -

if it's any comfort, I knew exactly what you meant.  And I'm very sorry that Steve and K took it in another direction (yes, I'm sucking up to the moderators here)  ;D

Seriously, I say do anything and everything you can to get rid of the synkinesis.  And thanks for posting this advice; I'm positive it will be very helpful to others with facial issues.  I know the PT and surgeon told you 1-2 years but that's probably the "norm".

Most of us are told 6 weeks recovery after AN surgery and some recover sooner, some recover later.  Let's keep our fingers crossed that you'll be one of those who recover sooner from this  :)

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Angela

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2008, 06:30:50 pm »
Can't remember who originally asked...
I saw a wonderful physical therapist who had an AN and facial synkesis.
She moved from San Francisco to Oregon (Washington?).  I don't know if she has established her practice up there but please look up SARA SHAPIRO if you get an opportunity. 

Through Sara's partnership with RehabiliCare, I was able to get an electric stimulator for my facial muscles.  I don't know if it idid or did not work;  However, my view is "it's worth a try!"  At worst, it improved circulation in my face.

She was the first [and only] person I have seen with facial paralysis.  I don't cry often but she knew exactly what I was going through without me having to verbalize every detail.  That alone was priceless.

Dr Jackler says I have wasted alot of time and money.  That may be true but I am confident that I did everything I could do in the past 3 years: pray, electrical stimulation, chinese herbs, facial massage, acupunture, and more prayer.  I can look back without any regrets!

Good luck--
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

ToddH

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2008, 05:13:52 am »
The name of the therapist in SD is Wanda Crook, she is at the Movement Learning Center, 760-787-0931.

Thank you all for your input.  This sounds like one of those long-haul kind of things.  Daisy, I read the link on Jackie Diels.  Thank you for passing it along.  It answered a lot of questions.  It did create another one -- do any of you know if insurance covers PT facial muscle trainers?  And does anyone know the name of the PT in San Diego?  Unfortunately, I don't have the time for the long-haul.  If I turn down too many more auditions and opportunities, I'll be well forgotten.  What type of excercizes do you all do?  Does it help?

David

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2008, 08:28:11 am »
Todd,

Actually the PT that LA David went to was Teresa England- as she does a clinic at HEI –where they bring her in to their facility.

I am working with Wanda Crook from SD. I am her long-distance-learning homeschooled patient.  ;D I like her- she is very down to earth. I am working at having other institutions bring her in to us- here in the Pacific Northwest.

Here is the link of available therapists. The trained specific “neuromuscular facial retaining therapists� are highlighted.
http://www.bellspalsy.ws/centers.htm
Seems that out west California has 2 and here in Oregon we have none:'( I am in the process of working with a team that is hoping to change that. Plans are in the works to have Wanda Crook present to our Portland ANA support group some time this fall  :) … I will be posting once this is more concrete.

Daisy Head Mayzie

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Chambo

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2008, 10:31:22 pm »
Jeez.  All this wicked stuff posted as I was sleeping  ;).  Simon (Chambo) knows what I'm talking about.  It's a "face" cheek massage.  I think that's to get rid of the synkinesis.  But who knows it might work to stimulate the muscles for folks with palsy.  I'll keep you posted if I pick up some advice.

David

Good work mate!

Yeah the inside of mouth massage is not dissimilar to massaging a tight hamstring. The nerve is working but the muscle is so tight that it won't move freely. I think this type of massage is meant for those who are 12 mths post op or thereabouts but hey, I'm no Doc.
3.5cm+ LS AN fully removed via Translab surgery on 28 June 2006.
Prof Kaye (Neuro)/Mr Briggs (ENT) at Royal Melbourne Hospital (Melbourne, Australia).
1st post surgery MRI (Feb 07) revealed NO regrowth/residual.
d.o.b. 5 Oct 1978

LADavid

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2008, 01:45:42 pm »
Hey Simon
How are you doing with your synkinesis therapy?  I think I'm seeing a bit of improvement -- it's tough to tell.  On my one year anniversary, she is recommending botox.  Still have a way to go for that.

Thanks again for the advice.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2008, 08:29:12 pm »
RE
"On my one year anniversary, she is recommending botox" .

Ditto…

Does that make us Botox Buddies? ;)  ::)

Daisy Head Mayzie
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!