Author Topic: Did Anyone Get Markers Prior to Surgery?  (Read 20167 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Did Anyone Get Markers Prior to Surgery?
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:03:03 am »
Hi All-

So, I get the fax with the info for the Pre-Admittance appointment on the 14th and - much to my surprise - I see that I also need to come in two days prior to surgery for another MRI and "markers" on my head!  (And, I should add that I can't get the markers wet, so you know what THAT means - no shampooing until I'm home from the hospital!)

So, my questions are

Did anyone else have to get "markers" ahead of time?

Can anyone recommend a dry shampoo that I could use for those couple of days?

I think I am overly obsessed with the shampooing thing - maybe I should be more worried about the brain surgery??!!   ::)

Three weeks and counting...

Debbi (shampooing compulsively...)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

Re: Did Anyone Get Markers Prior to Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:33:58 am »
Sorry Debbi.  Never heard of them marking your head days in advance.  I would be the same way you are though - not being able to wash my hair would drive me crazy.  Maybe you could bring them a Sharpie marker - those stay on pretty good!

It's amazing how much difference there is between the techniques the doctors use. 

Never tried one of those dry shampoos, but I know there are a few on the market.  I would think the drug store would have them.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 10:41:40 am »
Debbi~
I feel quite certain they didn't mark me for my AN surgery - I know not in advance!  For my last surgery (T3), they just did it that morning and they marked a LOT -- I was so sad I forgot the camera for that one!!  LOL!!!   ;D
I agree w/ Lori -- go for a Sharpie -- HEY, a new commercial for them about Sharpies lasting ability and different uses!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 11:29:49 am »
Hey debbi,

Unsure about the markers. It is my understanding that markers are typically used for radiation therapy, such as cancer treatments but not for invasive surgery. Hoping someone here can answer... this is a first that I've heard, as well.  BTW, I do have colored Sharpies if interested :)

BTW, hairdresser here. Years ago, there was a spray shampoo, called "PSSSSSSTTTT".... (think back all.... ;) ). Anyway, its basically a spray that consists of talcum. Talc will absorb oils in the hair.  Not sure if it's still around, but baby powder/talc (away from surgical sight) may be of help. Just FYI...

signed,
Phyllis, licensed cosmetologist in 2 USA states :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:39:19 am »
Deb -

I didn't have markers for either my AN or BAHA surgery, but for both surgeries the doc marked my ear with a pen so he would know which side to operate on.  I think it's actually a rule at hospitals now since there are cases where the docs screw up :o

For the AN surgery he just put a large dot on my ear lobe, for the BAHA surgery he actually signed his initials on my ear lobe.  In both cases he used purple ink and it was a real pain to get it off! 

Believe it or not, the PSSSSSST dry shampoo Phyl mentioned still exists.  I don't know if it's available at your local drugstore, but I ordered 2 cans of it from drugstore.com prior to my surgery.  Then I found out that I couldn't use it because the residue getting anywhere near your incision is a big issue. 

Jan - not a cosmetologist of any kind  ;D

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:01:22 pm »
Hi Debbi

Never heard of the marker days in advance.  They did mark the AN side while I was in pre-op.  Of course they waited until they had shot me up with Vallium to ask me which side the AN was on -- which seemed a bit odd.  I got it right.  I am quite sure they knew they just wanted the words to come from my mouth.

And as far as the shampooing -- I am assuming it's standard procedure -- they had me shampooing with an anti-bacterial shampoo three days before the surgery. 

I know your concerns -- I had them too -- but in retrospect, during my hospital time, my biggest concern was when are they going to give me real food instead of ice chips.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 12:33:55 pm »
Ah, yes, I remember Psssttt.  Can't believe it is still around.  I'll check out local drugstore for a can.  I know I am just being silly obsessing about the shampoo - guess it feels like something I have some control over as opposed to the surgery which is totally out of my control.

I do find it weird about the markers, though - I haven't heard or read about anyone having this prior to surgery.  I'll have to ask MaryMomof3 since she had the same surgeons as me and only had surgery a few weeks ago.  Maybe I'll send the surgeon a quick email, too - I'm sure they love it when patients question their protocols!   ;D

Thanks for being there for me!

Debbi - b minus 21 ....
2.4 cm Right Side AN

lori67

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 12:44:14 pm »
Oh yeah, I remember PSSSSSSTTTTTT!  Team that up with some Aqua Net hairspray, and we big-haired Jersey girls were good to go!

I got the marker treatment right before when the doctor came in and wrote "YES" on my face in front of my ear. I think my husband took a picture of that since he thought it was funny.  I do remember it was not easy to get off.

Lori - in desperate need of a cosmetologist (or a magician)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 01:01:05 pm »
USA malpractice insurance... doncha just love it... now they "mark" us on proper to-be surgical site..... go figure....

signed,
Phyl, retired cosmetologist who self colors own hair
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 01:46:02 pm »
Hi, Debbi:

My neurosurgeon employed nerve monitoring and I received 'markers' prior to my surgery. 

They indicate where a nurse (or whoever does the job) is to shave very small  'patches' to accommodate the nerve-monitoring electrode connections.  The shaving was done 24 hours prior to the surgery, at a local hospital.  I wore a baseball cap to the hospital on the day of my surgery.  If you're having nerve monitoring, which I highly recommend, not to worry, the 'shaved patches grew back quickly.  If you have long hair, they shouldn't even be noticeable.  Ask your surgeon about the reason for the markers.  If they are related to nerve monitoring during surgery, that's a good thing. 

I couldn't shampoo for four days following my surgery.  I hated it, even though I'm a guy.  Hey, no one likes oily, dirty hair!

No clue on 'dry shampoo' but Psssssst has been around a long time and sounds like it'll do the job for you.   

I think you're going to be just fine and on top of that, post-op, you'll have clean, soft hair.    ;)  Things are looking up! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 01:48:58 pm »
Hi Jim-

Well, thanks SO much!  Makes perfect sense - and, yes, they have a whole nerve monitoring team, apparently.  Just the same, I'll shoot the surgeon a quick email to verify.

Thank you, thank you - you've put my mind at ease ... at least for now!   Sure not looking forward to the dirty hair though... ugh.

Debbi - getting ready to shampoo in NJ...
2.4 cm Right Side AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 02:45:43 pm »
Well, I'm glad that Jim could shed some light on this question.

I had nerve monitoring and I didn't get markers prior to my surgery - at least not that I'm aware of.  Maybe they placed the markers after they put me to sleep  ???

It will be interesting to see what MaryMomof3 says.

Jan - trying to decide if she should self color her hair again, or continue to embarass daughter with her gray   ;D

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 02:56:53 pm »
Hi Jan- you could color your hair purple or something like that - you know, kill two birds with one shot. Freshen up the color AND embarrass your daughter!

Ha Ha!

Debbi (going to have the colorist do it - the coloring, not the markers....)
2.4 cm Right Side AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 03:02:11 pm »
Now you suggest it!  Purple hair would have looked great with my purple ear lobe!

Jan - wondering how old is too old for purple hair ???

LADavid

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 04:24:23 pm »
Jan
It's never too old for purple hair.  I was tempted to go into the hospital with a blue Mohawk.  Then I started thinking that I didn't want the doctors laughing at anything when they were fooling around inside my head.  I opted for a marine cut.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments