Author Topic: 1 Year MRI results  (Read 10002 times)

NickD

1 Year MRI results
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:35:20 am »
Got the results from my 1 year MRI yesterday.  It showed some increase in size; a year ago size was 1.1cm x 0.4 cm x 0.6, now it's 1.1cm x 0.5 cm x 0.9 cm.  On the MRI you can see that the growth is definitely into the CPA cistern.  Here's the interesting part: my audiogram is actually better than last year, showing a 5 db improvement in high frequencies.  So kind of bad news/good news.  Doc's still say doing nothing is the best option, but I am thinking maybe I should send the MRI's off to the House Clinic for a second opinion (I'm in Canada btw).
Rt. AN diagonosed March 2007
March 2007 1.1 x 0.6 x 0.4 cm
March 2008 1.1 x 0.9 x 0.5 cm
March 2009 1.4 x 1.1 x 0.6 cm
Radiation (FSRT) scheduled for August 2009

Mark

Re: 1 Year MRI results
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 11:07:30 am »
Nick,

it certainly doesn't hurt to have second opinions on the MRI, but there is also an inherent scan error of 2 mm even if you continually use the same machine. Also, you can get variations based on how individual doctors measure the AN on the scan, not all choose or are trained to do it the same way apparently  :). At any rate, I'll let the other "wait & watchers" chime in, but the amount of change you outlined certainly falls within the range of these two factors and if you're still asymptomatic ( or better  ;) ) I'm not sure I would change your path.

Just my 2 cents

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

NickD

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:19:26 am »
Mark, that is very helpful indeed.  I was not aware of the 2mm error factor.  AND, you are correct about the measurement technique..we actually took the MRI's home and did our own measurements using the GE tools.  We came up with much different numbers that were quoted in the report.  To add to the confusion, the MRI from last year was done on an older machine.  This years had twice the image resolution and half the slice thickness.

Sheryl

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 07:34:08 pm »
Hi Nick and Mark - another "wait and watcher" here for the past 6-1/2 years with approximately 3 mm of "growth" in that time and none in the past three years.  You are absolutely correct about the 2 mm technical difference - I've heard it on a number of occasions.  So, my two cents - take your time and consider "wait and watch".
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Mickey

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 07:50:21 am »
Hi Nick! Diognost 8/07: I just got my  6 mo. report. My AN is pretty close to same size as yours. I has remained the same @ 12mm X .06mm. I was recomended to wait anothner 6 mos. and if all is steady go to yearly MRI`s. I`m approaching 60 years old. They say the older you get the less it grows? I`m hopeing so anyhow and will treat it the way it treats me. ha ha. So far I have  very minor hearing loss with tinnitus. I`m also being treated with neuromonics for the tinnitus which has been helpful. I still have 4 mons. to go with the treatment to give it a better evaluation. Good Luck, please keep in touch seems we have something in common! Mike P.S. Being treated @ NYC medical center

NickD

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 09:08:16 am »
Hey Mike and Sheryl

Thanks for the encouraging words from you both.  Sounds like the path is sensible for now anyway.  I'm going to try out some open-fit hearing aids in the next while to see if it helps with the high frequency issues.  Mike, I hope you're right about the growth slowing with age!

Cheers,

Nick  ;D

Sheryl

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 06:56:15 pm »
Tumor slowing with age!!  There are benefits to getting older - I just turned 61 maybe there's something to it.   :o
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 09:51:47 pm »
I am trying out a Unitron Moxi hearing "instrument", as they like to call them. They are pretty impressive; I have had it about a week, and am currently thinking I will keep it. It definitely brightens up the high frequency sounds - its like turning up the treble on the world. Spendy little things, though...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Ronnie

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 08:24:53 am »
Congrats on your new Moxi hearing aid.  I also have one of these for about six months now.  It is very helpful.  Do you have the program that takes out the background noise also?  That is just magical, especially in restaurants.  I have a 2.5 mm AN, diagnosed in 1/07.  Have had two very recent SHL episodes (0% word recognition) but hearing came back both times to where it was. I also have high frequency loss. Met with my neurotologist last week and still wait and watch until next MRI which will be in July.  Enjoy your new toy!

Ronnie

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 10:19:42 pm »
It does have the background noise feature. I get my first adjustment next week, so I don't know yet whether it is activated or tuned, or whatever. The only time it sounds funny, though, is when it is really quiet, and I hear some high frequency sound only in the aided ear - the swish of a distant tire in water, or the click of a machine somewhere. I can't tell where it comes from, because my good hear doesn't hear that high. Its a very odd effect.

The SHL incidents sound scary, that would freak me out. I'm glad it came right back; did you take steroids or something to help it? They would be enough to increase my interest in getting treatment for the little intruder.

Take care,

Steve

Ronnie

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 07:09:32 am »
Don't know why you're having that noise from the aid, unless it's just feedback, in which case your audiolgist will make the proper adjustment.  Do you have tinnitus?  If you do after a while of using the hearing aid you'll find that it does slightly subdue the tinnitus. I was on prednisone for a week after each SHL.  The first time 20 mgs, 2 X day, which gave me some palpitations.  The second time I was put on 25 mgs which resulted in my sleeping only 3-4 hours a night and having worst palpitations.  The neurotologist said no treatment yet, it's very small.  Will just have to wait until the MRI and see if there has been any growth.  The doctor said even though I did have 2 SHLs does not necessarily mean that it has grown. He said I might continue to have these episodes where it goes and comes, but possibly it may go and never come back.  Before I had my appointment I did email the cyberknife people asking about treatment for something so small and the response was it would be a challenge, but sure it could be done.  I don't want to be a challenge!  I also emailed gammaknife at University of Pittsburgh and the response was that they have treated 3-4 mm and that I should send the next MRI.  What made you decide CK rather than GK? 

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 09:07:03 pm »
It is'nt noise from the hearing aid. What happens is that if it is quiet, the hearing aid is sensitive enough to pick out quiet sounds. The high frequency range is most noticeable. It isn't very loud, but I can notice the small sound against a quiet background. What makes it odd is that I hear it only in the left ear, with the hearing aid, since my right ear has some high frequency loss.

This morning, when I went outside to go to work, I heard a bird chirping away, in a fairly high pitch. It didn't sound wrong, but I couldn't tell which direction it was coming from, because I could only hear it in one ear. I was looking around trying to spot it; my neighbors probably thought I was loony. I will get it adjusted on Monday.

It is probably wise to wait and watch, as long as those SHL episodes are short, and always followed by getting it back. There is no sense in treating until there is need.

I see CK and GK as equal in effectiveness for stopping the growth of an AN. CK may have an edge in preserving hearing, but the data on that is not solid yet. It does allow a wider range of beam placement than GK, although the latest Perfexion GK machines have more adjustments now. That may help reduce general side effects like swelling. I also think that the three day process they do on CK is gentler than the all at once of GK, which also helps limit side effects. I know several people who have done GK, though, and it has worked well for them.

Dr. Chang thought my 8mm job was at the small end of the scale, he said they usually do them a little bigger than that. I guess 2-3 mm is small enough that it is hard to get a precise location on it from the scans.

Oh yes, and I do have tinnitus (doesn't everyone?), and it does seem like the hearing aid helps reduce it, or at least make it less noticable.  :)

Steve

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 09:20:54 pm »

Oh yes, and I do have tinnitus (doesn't everyone?), and it does seem like the hearing aid helps reduce it, or at least make it less noticable.  :)

Everyone doesn't have tinnitus - but I guess I'm just strange that way  ;)

I'm glad the hearing aid helps it; I was concerned that the BAHA implant might cause me to have it, but thankfully it hasn't.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 06:04:49 pm »
I think that if my AN had been that small and had not grown, I would have certainly waited it out. I think that everyone has given you appropriate advice. Everyone and every situation is different. My AN was actually pushing into my brain stem. Not a good think.

Jan...you get to wear your Baha in 3 days? Are you not excited??? I don't get to plug in until July 3rd.  :(

Good luck and happy hearing from the dark side!  ;)
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 07:26:29 pm »
sabuck -

I am very excited about getting my processor on Wednesday  ;D

Hang in there, you will be right behind me!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways