Author Topic: IS IT OK TO CHEW GUM DURING FACIAL NERVE RECOVERY?  (Read 4303 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

IS IT OK TO CHEW GUM DURING FACIAL NERVE RECOVERY?
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:41:44 pm »
I'VE HEARD FROM SOME THAT IT IS OKAY AND FROM OTHERS THAT IT CAN CAUSE OR MAKE SYNKINESIS WORSE. I LOVE TO CHEW IT BECAUSE IT KEEPS MY JAWS AND FACE RELAXED.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: IS IT OK TO CHEW GUM DURING FACIAL NERVE RECOVERY?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:56:03 pm »
If you can, I think it would help ... but, personally I'm afraid too ... I still have to be a little carefull about chewing .. (I keep biting myself)

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:23:13 pm »
Jackie Diels says no gum chewing as can promote synkinesis.             She is the only one that I happen to know about so others may or may not have the same info.
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Rc Moser

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:36:30 pm »
As your doctor to be sure, mine recommended it in moderation. But it was hard for me just after my operation due to no feeling and cordination was that great. susposely it good excerise for the jaw muscles on you AN effected side.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 06:31:28 am »
I have a prolapsed facial nerve, probably means in "our" language a weak, but functioning facial nerve and I chewed gum.  I began to notice significant weakness and achyness to my facial muscle so I quit as recommended in the AN booklet for facial problems--this seemed to help, not alot but did help.  As the weeks passed I've noticed I'm biting my lower lip on occasion!   :(  I will not start again with the gum chewing, but hopefully this hunger I have to eat myself will stop!   ::)
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:31:14 am »
I haven't spoken to a facial therapist (yet), but my dentist and my kids' dentist both say no. The human jaw is not designed for the repetitive motion of gum-chewing. It can cause TMJ and other problems.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:47:05 pm »
My face retrainer trained under Jackie and she said no way not for a very long time....i did like the gum and miss it (going on 1 1/2 years without) and my mom works for Wrigley gum :)

5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

calimama

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 09:24:51 am »
This is interesting. I was trying to chew gum a bit the past 2 weeks as i thought i might help, but will stop. I didn't enjoy that much anyway as i still have numbness (including my teeth!) on the left side.

cheers,
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 01:46:35 pm »
The whole thought (my trainer explained to me) is that you are doing repetitive motion and you are chewing incorrectly since you don't have feeling on that side....and you can bite your tongue/cheek, or choke on the gum since you can't feel where it is.  That is how mine is since i still don't have feeling...others will more feeling might be different.
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007