Author Topic: SSD equals handicap license tag?  (Read 6113 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: SSD equals handicap license tag?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 10:32:07 am »
Capt Deb -

you'll have to make it a habit to bob & weave as you walk into the store  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sam Rush

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 10:59:12 am »
A lot of disabilities are not observable, for example,  heart disease, a person would appear normal w/ routine walking into the store, but would get chest pain walking too far or too fast., and would qualify for disability placard. So it's really no-one's business how we look going in or out of store, esp. us ANers who frequently  appear normal, on the outside.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Tamara

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 12:44:57 pm »
PLEASE don't apply for a tag unless you really need it.  My daughter is severely disabled and NEEDS the tag - she wears ankle braces and fatigues easily - you may be taking a space away from someone like her.

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 12:53:05 pm »
Being deaf on one side isn't as bad as ANers who have also lost all the bones of the inner ear removed as a result of surgery. We now have 50% of our balance center missing. We needed that vestibular nerve! Walking in a dark parking lot (let alone on uneven ground covered with ice here in Minnesota) is dangerous. Without our inner ear bones we can no longer tell where something is coming from. My grama is deaf on one side as a result of age, and she does better than I do since I don't have those bones. (a BAHA corrects for this.) My ENT signed the paperwork, and I have a handicapped parking tag now. I truly only need it at night, or on one of my occassional wonky head days.

Blessings, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 01:10:16 pm »
I had a sneaky feeling this would be a sensitive discussion..... as one that was town appointed for a Commission for Disability, we hear this often in our meetings about HC parking spots and who should/could and shouldn't/couldn't park or use them.  It's an interesting point that those of us that do go through the process legitly with legit reasons (HC placards usually issued for walking distance issues, regardless of what inhibits the walking abilities) require dr's confirmation to the Registration of Motor vehicles for each state/location.  yet, we know of those that tend to b.s. or by-pass their way through the system.

to me.... regardless of what legitly prohibits one from the ability to walk in a steady, lengthy gait.....if applicable, apply... and if not... tough it out and know that others in worse situations do need it more than others.

This one has always ruffled my feathers... I want them smoothed back out....
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 02:48:33 pm »

I had a sneaky feeling this would be a sensitive discussion..... as one that was town appointed for a Commission for Disability, we hear this often in our meetings about HC parking spots and who should/could and shouldn't/couldn't park or use them.  It's an interesting point that those of us that do go through the process legitly with legit reasons (HC placards usually issued for walking distance issues, regardless of what inhibits the walking abilities) require dr's confirmation to the Registration of Motor vehicles for each state/location.  yet, we know of those that tend to b.s. or by-pass their way through the system.

to me.... regardless of what legitly prohibits one from the ability to walk in a steady, lengthy gait.....if applicable, apply... and if not... tough it out and know that others in worse situations do need it more than others.

This one has always ruffled my feathers... I want them smoothed back out....
Phyl

Good points, Phyll.

We have a family friend that was born with spinal bifida and uses a motorized wheelchair to get around.  She also drives a specially-equipped van with hand controls and a motorized ramp for ingress and egress.  She has absolutely no choice but to seek out and use 'handicapped' parking spaces.  Whenever I even think about using a 'handicapped' space (when my wife isn't with me) I remember this woman who cannot walk and struggles to remain independent who needs a parking space close to the door of wherever she's going.  I don't.  Remembering her and her situation makes it easy for me to pass up the 'handicapped' parking space, even though our car has 'handicapped' license plates on it. 

As for passing judgment on those who don't appear to be disabled but have the plate and use the 'handicapped' parking space, this is hardly an issue for me.  I don't care if there are no handicapped spaces if I'm alone and if my wife is with me and there are no handicapped spaces available (this happens way too often), I simply drop her off by the door of whatever establishment we're going to, then, when we're leaving, I walk to the car, drive it over and  pick her up at the door.   I've always realized that one can be handicapped by breathing problems, heart problems or just pain - and none of those have any visible manifestations to the casual observer.  I have some friends and relatives with these kinds of medical problems and most have the 'handicapped' tag.   No problem. 

However, more germane to this forum, I agree that if anyone feels they really need to be able to park close to buildings because of AN issues, they certainly should apply for the tag.  I would - if I felt that I needed it.  Fortunately, I don't. 

In my state, you have to submit a 'special' registration form to the motor vehicle department and with it, a document from as state-licensed physician that describes your physical disability.  The doctor has to attest you require a 'handicapped' plate, tag, sticker, whatever.  There are temporary 'handicapped' tags for a temporary disability (i.e. broken leg) and permanent tags, as my wife has, for someone who is permanently disabled.  The physician has to state that the person named on the application has a permanent physical disability.  I believe that as long as a physician signs the form, the plate or temporary tag is given without any investigation.  So, if you need it, go for it!  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 03:18:45 pm »
When I would keep my Grandma, I would have her tag w/us, but usually we would drop her off and then go park in a NON HC space.  The ONLY time I would use it is if I had the kids with me & I was trying to get my Grandma in AND my girlies safely in -- I thought that the safety of ALL was more important!

OK...here's another can of worms...WHAT ABOUT HANDICAPPED BATHROOM STALLS?  Who thinks that NO ONE should use them except the handicapped?  Should the handicapped person have to wait in line like everyone else or should they automatically get to go to that stall?  This is really most apparent to women at an event where there is a huge line...& an empty stall...

Just sitting around w/ too much time to think!!!  Definitely NOT used to this!!!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 03:27:18 pm »
JIM! OMG!  A pic of you as your "avitar" OMG! It's great to "see" you! :)

*ahem* Kaybo.... oh, KAYYYYYYY... you are going to make me moderator more than I already do, eh? tsk-tsk.... ::) :-*

I'm gonna sit back and watch this one now... martinis and popcorn are out.... folks, let's keep the debate respectful, ok?  Actually, I like K's questions... but I'm gonna watch this one... may also move this to "AN Community, depending on what "tone" this thread takes....... oy.... *walks off crying*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 08:27:04 pm »
oops, sorry i opened a can of worms here  :-\

sam rush, to answer your question, i live in the bay area.

chocolate anyone?
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 11:37:32 pm »
I hope I didn't add fuel to the fire with my comment about bobbing and weaving  :-[
It was not my intention to offend anybody.

We have talked many time on this forum about how frustrating it is to be a person with an "invisible disability" since a lot of AN symptoms are not evident to others.   Guess I should have been a little more sensitive in my choice of words.  Sorry, Sam and thanks for pointing that out.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 07:59:13 am »
oh, no worries folks.... to me, can o' worms is the highly debated talks, such as what Kaybo  :-* noted.... using HC restroom stalls or not, etc.

There is a terrific book my sister gave me years ago when I was first diagnosed with other issues (before my AN diagnosis....)

"Living Well With a Hidden Disability: Transcending Doubt and Shame and Reclaiming Your Life (Paperback)"
by Stacy Taylor (Author), Robert Epstein (Author)

on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Living-Well-Hidden-Disability-Transcending/dp/1572241322/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207230942&sr=8-1

Great customer review inputs as well noted at the bottom of the link. For those that do endure "hidden" disabilities.... may be worth a peek.....

Phyl

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 10:12:35 am »
That's an interesting question about the handicapped bathroom stalls. I had a friend once whose child was permanently disabled and in a wheel chair. One day the child felt like she was going to vomit. Her mom rushed her to the bathroom, hoping they'd get there before the child lost it. They did...but a nondisabled person was in the handicapped stall. Other stalls were available, but the child's wheelchair would not fit in those. She puked all over herself.

So I avoid those stalls if I can. Sometimes you just can't hold it. After having two 10 pound babies, my bladder strength is shot! And when my kids were little and in a stroller, I would use those stalls in order to keep my babies with me while using the bathroom. I feared they'd get kidnapped if I left the stroller with a toddler/infant in it outside the stall while I was "busy."
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 04:40:12 pm »
On the handicap-only bathroom stalls issue: Normally, I avoid using a handicap-only stall because I'm always afraid that a handicapped person may enter the men's room and need the stall, and I'll feel like a a real jerk if I'm in 'his' stall when he needs it. 

To be completely honest, I've used a handicapped-only stall in a public toilet when nothing else was available - but this doesn't happen very often.  Obviously, this is more of an issue for women than men, but I wanted to add my observations to the discussion.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 06:06:22 pm »
Phyl -

ironic that you should mention "Living Well with a Hidden Disability".  I was just on amazon.com earlier today ordering a book that my son has been asking for and I noticed this title.  I also noted that it's currently out of print and that it can only be purchased used.  Guess I'll have to hurry and order my copy before even the used ones are gone.

Jan