Author Topic: On standby and waiting  (Read 3849 times)

dpetty

On standby and waiting
« on: March 25, 2008, 03:05:40 pm »
Well I am on the standby list for 1st open spot in the surgery line that comes up for my BAHA implant, my appointment is for 5/15 but I wiggled into the standby line and almost had a spot today for Thursday but someone needed it worse than me, so back to waiting....

David

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: On standby and waiting
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:08:05 pm »
David -

good luck; waiting for anything can be stressful  :(

Hopefully your wait won't be long.

Hang in there,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dpetty

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 09:30:08 pm »
Yes I am ready to go I figure they will find get a slot open soon, least this time my clock was not running out,lol so this will be easy.

David

dpetty

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:50:36 am »
Well good news looks like we are on for Thursday I hope, looks more promising this time, keeping my fingers crossed.....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 06:45:31 pm »
Yeah!  We'll have to add your surgery to the calendar.

Make sure you report back to us so we know how it goes  :)

Are you having general or local anesthesia?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dpetty

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:28:47 pm »
Well I am going to ask for local as it should be a piece of cake compared to the brain surgery....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:45:51 pm »
Everyone is different (the old discussion forum motto, which is true), but I'm confident you can do it with local if you want to.

I was a little nervous about doing it that way, but in all honesty it was fine.

The sounds and a brief smell are a little freaky at times, but they drape your entire face and you can't see or feel anything.
Because my head was turned to the side, the drapes made a kind of tunnel that I was looking down.  At the end was a really nice nurse who engaged me in conversation throughout the whole procedure.  Every once in a while the doc would ask me how I was doing, but other than that it was easy to pretty much ignore what was going on with my head.

My doc made a point of keeping the whole thing fairly humorous for me - just the way I like it - which also helped immensely.  I had jokingly asked him while I was in the holding area if he'd ever performed BAHA surgery before and he jokingly told me no, but he had the instructions.  On occasion throughout the surgery he'd stop and tell me that he was referring to the instructions.  Cracked me up.  But then again, I sometimes have a warped sense of humor  ;D

Having local you also have the advantage of not having to "come out" of the anesthesia.  No groggy head, etc., and you can pretty much go about the rest of your day normally.  My sister, who drove me to surgery and back, and I had lunch at a fast food place about an hour post op and then I attended my son's volleyball game.  I felt just fine. 

dpetty

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 11:18:27 am »
Well we are a go for lift-off on 4/3 and I requested a local and they said that wasn't a problem, I am very excited to get this show on the road!! It's been 6 years now and finally going to get a good bit of what I lost back.....Well the smell and sounds do not bother me, don't feel much in that part of my head anyway. Dr. Dornhoffer told me I was one tough bird as many do not recover half as well as I have with the size and amout of damage the AN has caused. Never have felt more alive than I do now!

David

Glenda

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 11:48:25 am »
Wonderful news!  You're on my calendar and in my thoughts and prayers! 
I hope things go really well for you!
Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

dpetty

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 01:52:25 pm »
Well I am 2nd in line for surgery in the morning so  I am getting excited and just a tad nervous, mostly just something new nervous i guess.

LADavid

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 03:09:50 pm »
David
Best wishes for tomorrow!  Looking forward to hearing about the success.

LADavid
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 06:43:04 pm »
David -

I understand how you feel - I was nervous but very excited about my BAHA surgery too!

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and hoping that everything goes well.  Let us know how it all turns out.

Wishing you the best,

Jan