Author Topic: Running with a BAHA  (Read 7706 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Running with a BAHA
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:41:19 am »
Ok, I'm finally at the point where I'm running on my treadmill and hope to be running outdoors very soon - if it would just stop snowing here  ::)  I use to love to run in snow, but that was prior to my AN when I didn't run like a drunk.  Now I'm leery of icy patches on the road.

Anyway, I'm thinking it will be great to be able to run outside with a BAHA since I'll be more aware of cars.  But then I've read a few posts about BAHA users not wearing their processors when golfing, working outdoors, fishing, etc., so now I'm not so sure this will be such a great idea.   

Does anyone currently run with their processor attached?  If so, does it jostle or have the potential to fall off?  I'd hate to lose such an expensive item or have it damaged when it hits the pavement  :o 

I think I read somewhere - maybe the Cochlear America website - that there is a "safety" feature for a BAHA similar to the safety cord that is on a treadmill.  Has anyone heard of this?  Has anyone used this?

Thanks, 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

Re: Running with a BAHA
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:50:29 am »
Jan,

I have run (admittedly, a VERY short distance) with my BAHA on - only on the treadmill though.  The processor actually snaps on there pretty firmly, so I don't think it would fall off.  The only time mine got knocked off was when I was trying to reach for something at the bottom of the chest freezer in the garage and the top didn't stay open and whacked me right in the head.  It was a pretty hard knock - right to where my BAHA is (which I then had to fish out of the bottom of the freezer...).

It does come with a safety clip though.  It's a little piece of fishing line-looking stuff - you loop one end around the little hook thing on the processor and the other end has a clip you can attach to your collar (or knit hat).  I used it the first few times I wore mine, but I haven't needed it lately.  I know what you mean though, about not wanting to lose the thing!  Imagine my reaction when I had left mine on the nightstand and my 2 year old came walking out with it in her sticky little hand!!   :o

Steve, add fishing line to the list of needed items for BAHA newbies...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 12:20:58 pm »
Lori -

I used to be a runner - in my former life - prior to kids, prior to gaining weight, long before my AN, etc.  I'm desparately trying to get back there, but I've been doing more talking about running than actually running   ;)

Now that my surgeries are done - at least I hope so - I'm at the point where I have no more excuses other than lack of time, which I'm just going to have to make.

The fishing line sounds interesting, I'm sure Steve will think so, too  ;D  Maybe he could somehow incorporate it into my knit hat so I can run in the winter.  I'm telling you, we need to market these things!

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dpetty

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:52:09 am »
Well I was wondering how well they were secured, but to be safe I won't be wearing mine while riding.....

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:27:47 am »
Jan

While running, the car sounds will still all go into the good ear!!, plus you will get distracting wind noise. Mine has come off several times and gone back for repair 3 times. Now that the warranty is up I only use it for special occasions.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

dpetty

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:02:47 am »
So tell me since you only use it for special occasions would you have the procedure if you had the option? It seems from your post you are dissatisfied with your BAHA.

David

Sam Rush

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 10:56:24 am »
Not dissatified!!   Excellent hearing in good ear. Function well w/ one good ear, as a Dr. and police reserve.  The BAHA is a luxury I can afford and deserve. I would do it again.

Sam
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:30:46 pm »
Jan
While running, the car sounds will still all go into the good ear!!, plus you will get distracting wind noise. Mine has come off several times and gone back for repair 3 times. Now that the warranty is up I only use it for special occasions.

I'm with Sam .. my sense of direction can actually be worse with the BAHA on! (because it improves my hear so spinning my head around does not help me locate the sound)  ... even if it stays on .. if your pushing yourself running and you get all sweaty ..you get the BAHA wet or worse, you wipe you head and  *pop* the BAHA goes flying.... plus wind noise ... Why take the chance ???

I treat it like my good shoes .. Do I wear my good shoes Fishing, yard work, runnning , shoving snow ..etc .. Nope   ... do I wear my good shoes to work (office) , Church?, family dinner's, out to eat ??? .. Yep!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:40:23 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

dpetty

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 02:02:29 pm »
Well without any device at the moment my sense of sound direction is, well terrible, not sure it could be worse, so all it can do is get better....

Jeanlea

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 02:42:35 pm »
I don't have a BAHA, but I do have a TransEar.  I don't wear it when I run because I get way too sweaty, even in the winter.  I have gotten in a lot of running outside, but today it's SNOWING again!  I started out running a half mile and gradually added more distance.  My longest run so far has been 7 miles.  I'm running in a half marathon on May 3 so I have to keep going!

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

dpetty

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 05:44:26 pm »
As I live in the south and humidity being nearly always high and sweat is a minute by minute thing I wonder how well the BAHA will hold up?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 06:16:52 pm »
Man, you guys are really bursting my bubble here  :'(
So are you also going to tell me that I can't swim with it either LOL

I was SO looking forward to running with my BAHA.   Guess I'll have to do some serious thinking about this issue once I finally get the processor - about 2 months down the road now.

But, Sam, it's great to know that you don't regret getting the BAHA and would do it all over again.  I feel the same way currently and so far I've only gotten past the surgery  ;D

BAHA Jan

sgerrard

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 11:05:03 pm »
See, Sam knows a cool thing when he sees it.  8)

I have just gotten a hearing aid. It is on the 60 trial, of course, but I can tell already that I will be keeping it. I really don't hear much with my left ear without it; now I am discovering all sorts of noises that I have been missing out on for the last two years.

I have already noticed that even walking with it in can be a bit strange. If I put my hood up, or wear a hat, it gets upset. I think I would turn it off if I were running; but then again, I'm not likely to be out running.  :P

I assume with a BAHA you can carry it with you, and pop it on when the occasion calls for it? I think saying "excuse me, let me attach this device to my head first" would be a great way to brighten up a conversation.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 12:15:15 am »
Steve -

congratulations on the hearing aid.  I know that a lot of people have said that they got used to SSD, but personally I've been hating it for the last 10 months.  It's great that there are solutions out there for both our "situations".  It must be incredible to hear things you've been missing for two years!

I'd imagine, like anything new, it will take a little time to get used to.  I'm currently in that stage myself.

I have a habit of putting my glasses or my sunglasses up on top of my head when I'm not wearing them and the abutment kind of gets in the way.  And just the other day, for the second time, when I was pulling my shirt over my head it got caught (I know, some people never learn).  Thankfully I didn't do any damage; I guess the calcification process is moving in the right direction  :)

I'm curious to see what kind of issues I'll come across when I'm able to attach the processor.  I just love having some adventure in my life; keeps things interesting!

Jan 

lori67

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 02:37:07 pm »
My BAHA doesn't like my sunglasses either.  I have to have them just right or it starts making all sorts of lovely noises!

I did learn one important lesson today though - DO NOT have it on when the dentist is drilling your tooth!  Makes your whole head vibrate so much it feels like it might fall off - and I mean your head, not the BAHA!  Right in the middle of his drilling, I had to reach up and take the processor off!

We learn something new and exciting every day though...  why does it always have to be the hard way?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.