Author Topic: ? about BAHA & hearing loss  (Read 8449 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ? about BAHA & hearing loss
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 02:15:19 pm »
Claire -

it looks like you are making definite progress in your AN journey; I'm glad things are coming together for you.

There is a BAHA demo that I found quite impressive - it's probably what your doctor means by a test run.  It will give you some idea of what you can expect from the BAHA.

I think it's great that you will be seeing the room they do the GK in, prior to your procedure.  I'm not sure if that's a routine practice, but IMO it should be; I think it's a great idea.  Although I didn't get a preview of the OR room where I had my surgery, I did have to go in for pre op tests, which gave me some familiarity with the hospital.  It made me feel more comfortable there.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 10:49:42 pm »
Hey, Claire,

I am so glad to hear you are getting some where! Dr. Ruckenstein sounds sensible to me; I think giving a tour of the GK facility makes a lot of sense. There are several people on this forum who have described the experience in detail; Sue and Dana come to mind. It will not be an ordinary week for you, but I have been through a dental procedure that took longer.  ;D

I am also glad to hear you got a hold of your old psych, and are finding a new one in town. I hope that works out well, it could help a lot in the next few months. And as Jan will happily explain, I am very jealous that you get to try out a BAHA. I have to settle for an ordinary hearing aid.

Can I interest you in a knitted cap?   :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 12:07:58 am »

Can I interest you in a knitted cap?   :D

Steve

Hey, wait a minute!  Would Claire have to shave her head also  ???  Or was that deal just for Lori & me  ???

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

claire1

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 12:49:12 pm »
  ;) Hi
LOL Steve, if your offering to knit a scull cap I like mint green. lolol  You might as well go into bussiness knitting them..

The dr's office called today,Saturday, to set up an oncologist appointment and the GK surgery.  ALL of the calmness faded away BUT now I have someone to dump on when the willies come back to haunt me.  That good.
Hey If we all set a date to wear our caps we may start a new trend.lol
Have a great day.
Claire

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »
Hi Claire-

Glad you are on the road to treatment - and that you are also on the road to finding a good therapist.  If you former psych in Mass isn't able to refer you, you shouldn't hesitate to ask Dr. R for a referral. I have to think that docs who specialiize in brain boogers would also know psychs who specialize in them...

Good luck!

Deb - counting down in NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

claire1

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 09:48:47 pm »
Debbi
Yhanks,You know I never thought of that.I guess I've been pre-occupied with have to have all my ducks in a row ,I forgot about row1.  lol
Thanks again
Claire