Author Topic: Exercises or stimulous for facial paralysis?  (Read 6014 times)

Boppie

Exercises or stimulous for facial paralysis?
« on: November 16, 2005, 10:38:58 pm »
Is anyone getting help from face muscle training therapy or some sort of stimulous work for the paralysis problems?  I am looking ahead and would like to know what resources might be around if I need them.

Karen

Re: Exercises or stimulous for facial paralysis?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 10:22:30 pm »
I am going to facial retraing with Jackie Diels in Wisconsin next week. I am hoping she can help me with the facial paralysis.  Do you have facial paralysis?  How long ago was your surgery?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 08:11:40 am »
  Hi Boppie,          One does not have to be in as  a hurrry to do anything about facial paralysis as you would think as one has to wait till the facial nerve has healed.    The muscles affected will only work once there is innervation to them.       The facial muscles are different than regular muscles and will not atrophy from lack of use for much longer than one would think.      Thiis is talking about when one has problems due to the tumor having damaged the nerve.    Having the nerve severed is a whole different problem.               I had facial paralysis for 3 1/2  months.      I did later end up with some tightness in my face has persisted but I have full movement.    I made one visit to Jacki the facial therapist in Madison and also have seen her at the last 2 AN symposiums.   In most cases she doesn't like to see pts with this kind of facial paralysis till a year post op as by then you have a pretty good idea of what is coming back.   There is a good web site which has some facial retraining info   www.bellspalsy.ws       Jacki is a sweetheart as those who have met her well know.                        Good luck with your surgery.     Waiting is the scariest time.
                             Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 10:00:02 am »
Now I have lots of hope about the facial recovery.  Time?  I have plenty of that.  Patience?  I have plenty of that too.  I am glad I get such good information from people like you.  Actually the waiting is not so bad.  I have been hanging in there since diagnosis October 1.

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 12:30:23 pm »
So It sounds as if I'll be getting my hearing assistance device and facial expression somewhat regulated by next Christmas.  My surgery is December 15.  I like to speculate in futures.   ;)    Thanks for the link and encouragement.

lifeisgood

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 11:53:47 pm »
Just to reassure you there is a good chance you won't have any facial problems.
Your tumor is not all that large and until your docs are able to view the involvement with the facial nerve, it's hard to say at this point in time if you will have any trauma to the facial nerve.
I know several folks who walked away with no paralysis at all..
I so encourage you to be positive (sounds like you are ) and visualize the tumor peeling off of the facial nerve and believe that you will not have any complications.
I believe this helps.
I am writing an article on my journey with facial recovery post surgery in the March 2006 ANA notes.
I hope it will help you if you have any concerns at that point in time.
I had a 3.4 cm AN removed 18 months ago.
Take care and keep the faith.
:)
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

Boppie

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 11:41:22 pm »
Mary, Thanks for the encouragement.  As for your suggestion to "envision ...peel off the nerve".  I am thinking about the nice way oranges some off the skin.  I just want the ride back from the hospital (115 miles) to go well, so I can get home to see and hug my grandsons.  I am visualizing that too!

wanderer

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 09:38:37 am »
I looked into this when My face was paralyzed.   I learned  a few things.

No electro stimulus.  if you have any chance of regaining facial function.  It can actually keep the nerve from repairing itself.    recent studies have shown that it has not helped in treatement for bells palsey.

Becareful of exercising too soon,  or you can build strenght into the wrong muscles.    So then you end up with incorrrect muscle movement later.   (i.e.  you smile and your eye squints)     

If you paralysis iis due to swelling then take it slow and it will hopefully resolve on it's own.  If it's more serious make sure you go to people trained in facial rehab.  Took me 6 weeks for everything to start returning to normal.      After my first surgery I did not have paralysis,  It was after the second to repair a csf leak that I begin to lose function.

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 09:46:16 am »
Advanced notice is helpful.  I am taking notes. Thanks for sharing.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 09:50:27 am »
I looked into this when My face was paralyzed.   I learned  a few things.

No electro stimulus.  if you have any chance of regaining facial function.  It can actually keep the nerve from repairing itself.    recent studies have shown that it has not helped in treatement for bells palsey.

Really ? .. Uh Oh ... I'm doing electro stim on myself !!! .. where are you getting this from !!! ???  so far its seems to get well ....

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

wanderer

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 01:12:10 pm »
I found some studies on bells palsy patients  and it said that it was contraindicated and of limited to no value.   

My first inclination was to go get a tens unit and put it on my face.   but I found several studies that said the same thing.     This was in february of this year  and since my face is mostly back to normal  I really haven't kept any of my resources.     Sorry wish I could be of more help.

sanjin

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 01:55:51 pm »
Hi- very interesting to read the info on faciAL nerve preservation. My case in short: initial AN of 6 cm, operated twice in 2002, then 3rd time last Dec - when I sustained damage to the facial nerve. A few months ago, I underwent radiotherapy, and the nerve seems to be going worse. I started electrotherapy recently, and would like to find out more about the 'facial' therapists and the successful methods 'of choice' for healing the facial nerve. Thank you very much!
6cm a.n. 3 surgeries and radiotherapy(over last 3 years).
Present tumor status: 2 x 1.5
Comments welcome!