Being confused is okay; no need for the scared to death and worried sick part - it's not that bad.
You haven't said what sort of symptoms you have, or what sent you into the doctor to get the diagnosis in the first place. Can you wait and watch? For an AN less than 1 cm, it is a reasonable thing to do, unless you have some reason to act sooner. Hearing, maybe?
It is okay with me if you choose radiation treatment.
Seriously, you do have a neurosurgeon recommending it to you, and saying he would do it in your situation. If you would rather do surgery, that is perfectly alright, many people prefer that. But if you would rather do radiation, it is a sensible choice in your case. The success rate for radiation treatment is very good, especially for smaller tumors, and the incidence of side affects and nerve damage is low.
I had radiation in September last year; so far it has worked out fine. I did CyberKnife, which is similar to GammaKnife, but done with a robotic arm over 3 days of treatment. The treatment went like this: I took a week off from work; flew down to California on a Sunday, chatted with doctors on Monday, got a CT scan and an MRI on Tuesday, had CK treatments on Wed, Thu, Fri, had a barbecue with friends on Saturday, flew back to Oregon on Sunday, and went back to work on Monday.
I had some swelling symptoms about 3 months later. I had a bad cold in December, and the pressure in my ear was not comfortable, but that was as bad as it got. I am now feeling sharper and working better than I was last summer, and will be getting my first follow up this week.
No hurry on the decision - take your time, get the information you need, and arrive at a decision you are comfortable with. All the best,