Author Topic: tinnitis in the good ear: common?  (Read 3722 times)

75 bronco

tinnitis in the good ear: common?
« on: March 08, 2008, 02:47:04 pm »
the more profound ringing is in my AN ear but also have some ringing in my good ear. is this normal or something to be concerned over. my mri diagnosed me with a 2mm AN on my left side and said the r was OK. Also why is such a little thing causing so much ringing? thanks

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: tinnitis in the good ear: common?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 04:11:28 pm »
75 bronco;

Tinnitus is a fairly common problem, even in folks who've never had or have an AN.  Some 36 million Americans suffer with it.  Tinnitus can (and does) occur in one or both ears, so, experiencing tinnitus in your 'good' ear is not all that surprising.  A plethora of things can cause tinnitus; including medications, allergies, blood circulation problems, diabetes, thyroid problems and of course, an acoustic neuroma.  Normal aging is also a factor.  Treatments for tinnitus are manifold and specific to the cause, if known. Most AN patients deal with tinnitus.  It is usually manageable - for most folks. 

The reason your AN can cause the level of ringing you've experienced is mostly due to the location of the AN.  It resides in close proximity to where the hearing mechanism resides and may be pressing on the nerves that transmit sound from the ear to the brain.  Sometimes surgery or radiation lessens the effects of tinnitus - but sometimes amplifies the sound.  It's all part of dealing with an AN.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

75 bronco

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:25:15 pm »
thanks for your prompt reply. this ringing can drive you insane.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:39:33 pm »
Tinnitus is a fairly common problem, even in folks who've never had or have an AN.  Some 36 million Americans suffer with it.  Tinnitus can (and does) occur in one or both ears
Jim

Jim -

I'm glad you pointed this out.  I've been wondering about tinnitus - thankfully don't suffer from it myself - only because someone I was talking to the other day said she has a huge problem with tinnitus and that no one can figure out what to do for it or what is causing it.  She said she has seen two doctors and had an MRI that didn't show any growth in her ear.  I was going to refer her to my neurotologist, but didn't know if he could help her or not.  Do you know, if an ENT can't find any cause of tinnitus, does it make sense for a neurotologist to look into it? Or would I just be wasting her time by suggesting she see my doc?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:56:59 pm »
Jan:

I may be mistaken but as I understand it, Neurotology is a sub-discipline of Otolaryngology.  The Neurotologist specializes in the ear/hearing issues and so, may be able to find a cause - and remedy - for your friend's tinnitus.   If your friend's tinnitus is bad enough (it can be maddening) recommending her to your Neurotologist would probably be a reasonable suggestion.  The fact she doesn't have an AN is great but not surprising because, as I pointed out in my prior post, tinnitus is not restricted to those of us who had or have an acoustic neuroma.  I wish her success with finding the cause of her tinnitus and hope your referral will prove influential in helping her do so. 

By the way: I'm pleased to learn you don't suffer with tinnitus, Jan.  You have enough to deal with as it is.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:05:27 pm »
Hey 75Bronco

Sorry to hear your dealing with it in both ears.  As a 20+year vetern of tinnitus, I understand what you are dealing with.  There's a few things to know though.  It's not the tumor that's causing the sound -- it's the damaged hearing nerves that are.  The brain is actually making up the sound in absense of any real sound.  So yes, it is very possible to have it in two ears -- it depends on the nerve damage in the ear -- that may not even be the result of the tumor but exposure to loud and sustained noise.  I have a sharp steam kettle whistle in one ear and a buzz in the other.  My tinnitus I am sure was provoked by loud music in my youth.  As I have mentioned on this board before, tinnitus is a pain but you do eventually do get used to it.  What you don't get used to are those that don't understand what you are dealing with.

My best
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 11:24:36 pm »
Thanks, Jim.

Think I'll give her my doc's name and number.  It certainly can't hurt and hopefully it will help.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 07:03:25 am »
My ENT told me there are hundreds of reasons for tinnitus.  I also have ringing on AN side and sometimes very high pitched whistles in my good ear, but this is usually only short term and maybe once a week.  It may come from stress, high blood pressure, or one of many other things.  My ENT told me to try taking (Gingium intens 120: a medicine made from dried Ginkgo biloba leafs) I'm not sure if this is the same in the US but it has helped a little bit on AN side and I haven't had any ringing, none AN side since I started taking them.

As far as size goes I don't think it matters that much(unless it's a whooper), its the possition.  I meet and talked with patience here in germany with very small ANs and queit big problems.
1. 45yr male 3mm AN, 3 months dizzy spells and couldn't work, 3 weeks after surgery he went back to work.
2. 55yr female 6mm AN, 100% AN side facial paralisis, I haven't talked to here since surgery.
3. 27yr male 5mm AN, deaf in An ear. 

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

tatianne

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 10:43:44 am »
I have tinnitus in my AN ear but sometimes it sounds like i have it in my good ear....but others times it doesnt...its almost like the sound is coming from the back of my head...
This might sounds crazy but thats what it seems like to me sometimes..
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Esperanza

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 05:59:03 pm »
I have tinnitus in my AN ear but sometimes it sounds like i have it in my good ear....but others times it doesnt...its almost like the sound is coming from the back of my head...
This might sounds crazy but thats what it seems like to me sometimes..

This has been happening to me in the last few days - is not making hearing with the good ear any easier  ???
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 07:08:54 pm »
I really find it difficult to know whether it's in one ear or the other - it is just in my HEAD.  Although, at times, there will be a particularly loud shrill sound in my AN ear, but that usually goes away fairly quickly leaving my usual "head" shrill 24/7.

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings