Author Topic: transear  (Read 2611 times)

sheilahj

transear
« on: March 17, 2008, 03:13:02 pm »
I just received my transear today.  I read on the website that most all can hear the dial tone from the phone in their deaf ear.  I can't, is there something wrong?

Boppie

Re: transear
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 05:32:53 pm »
If your TransEar is inserted in your deaf ear and turned up enough to hear sound, you might hear the dial tone in a very quiet room with your finger plugged in your good ear and the phone against the microphone bud on your TransEar.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:05:36 pm »
My audiologist kept the settings on my TransEar tuned fairly low at first until I got used to it.  She then increased the volume on the unit gradually over a couple of months.  Is it possible the programming on yours is still turned down pretty low?

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Cynaburst

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:46:13 pm »
I found it only worked well when I  held the phone up to the mike which is at the back of the ear.  Try that.

Leftie

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 03:54:48 pm »
My audiologist said to not bother trying the phone thing because that's not the important result.  I have had my Transear for 3 weeks now and it is just wonderful.  At a table, I can carry on a conversation with the person on my deaf side now and can even hear the waiter.  I am really happy with it!
2.5cm acoustic neuroma removed using middle fossa approach June 2002 by Dr. Brackmann at the House Clinic in LA.
Facial paralysis resolved to facial weakness.
Also have a benign meningioma (calcified) - no treatment required, just follow-up scans.
Received Transear Feb. 25, 2008.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:59:04 pm »
My audiologist said to not bother trying the phone thing because that's not the important result.  I have had my Transear for 3 weeks now and it is just wonderful.  At a table, I can carry on a conversation with the person on my deaf side now and can even hear the waiter.  I am really happy with it!

Leftie -

that is such great news!!!  Having a quiet conversation with someone who is sitting on my deaf side is something I've sorely missed since my AN surgery left me SSD.  And I'm tired of consciously choosing my seat in a restaurant so that I can hear the waiter.  I've opted for the BAHA, but it's encouraging that the TransEar is also a wonderful option for so many.

Thanks for sharing this,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lifeisgood

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 02:07:26 pm »
Hi everyone,
I've had the transear for almost a year now.
I honestly, am not really impressed with it.
I barely wear it b/c I don't think it makes that big of a difference.
I will say that my perception of sound is better when I have it in if I am in a restaurant but if
I just wear it out with someone else who is sitting next to me, I don't see a big enough difference and feel disappointed.
My expectations were much higher.
I paid $2800 out of pocket so I was hoping for more.

: Just my experience
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach