Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407665 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1395 on: April 08, 2010, 11:03:17 pm »
Almost done with Rain; only a couple of chapters to go.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #1396 on: April 09, 2010, 06:58:33 am »
I'm in the "2nd book" which isn't nearly as long...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1397 on: April 09, 2010, 07:34:45 am »
I'm in  Chapter 9, about a quarter of the way in. I knocked off a couple of chapters at the airport yesterday waiting for my eldest to return from study abroad in Panama. She had a great trip and I am looking forward to hearing more about it. Her sister is very jealous of her tan.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1398 on: April 10, 2010, 04:24:24 pm »
Her sister is very jealous of her tan.

Sounds like me and my daughter.  I'm paler than pale and she's blessed with her father's skin; as is her brother.  One day in the sun and she's bronze for the entire summer.

I just burn, fade, and peel  :'(

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #1399 on: April 11, 2010, 09:35:04 pm »
i chaperoned a high school band trip to new york city this past thursday until late saturday night. as soon as i got of the bus in NYC, i found a borders and bought the book. between waiting in lines and riding the bus for the next several days, i had the book almost finished by the time i got back home late last night. i finished it today.
good book! it gave me something to do when we stood in line for 2+ hours to get on the boat to head to the Statue of Liberty.
i had never read anything before on this aspect of WW II.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1400 on: April 12, 2010, 05:07:57 am »
I finished Book 1 last night. Between taxes, school play, field trips and getting my eldest back to college, it may be the end of the week before I pick it up again.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #1401 on: April 12, 2010, 06:59:06 am »
I will really push to get it finished in the next couple of days...I am close to the end...I don't think I have ever taken so long to finish a book.  I like it, just a busy time, I guess...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1402 on: April 12, 2010, 12:25:13 pm »
I will really push to get it finished in the next couple of days...I am close to the end...I don't think I have ever taken so long to finish a book.  I like it, just a busy time, I guess...

;D

I have not gotten back to it and finished  :-\ ... after the good start and getting almost through it I am disappointed in my lack of a strong finish ...

with the kids home all week and going ninety to nothing with them , I just haven't had time ... did get my new glasses with bifocals Friday and I can read with my glasses on and both eyes open ... should speed reading up and make it more pleasant ...I have been putting house back in order today and tonight hope to clock out and finish the book
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

cindyj

« Reply #1403 on: April 12, 2010, 02:20:41 pm »
Don't get stressed about finishing the book quickly, y'all...reading is all about enjoyment and relaxing, well it is for me!  So don't feel like you need to rush - enjoy it and take your time :) 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1404 on: April 13, 2010, 08:11:42 pm »
I finished The Gift of Rain last night.

Thanks to whoever suggested we read it.  It's not a book I had heard of - or would have picked myself - and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Truly a great story.

Jan

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1405 on: April 14, 2010, 09:19:07 am »
Finished this morning at the orthodontist. I was puzzled about something so I went back and re-read the first chapter, which was rich in foreshadowing.

It occurred to me that there is a theme among several of our recent selections: Sarah's Key, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and now The Gift of Rain all deal with lesser-known (at least to me) aspects of WWII.

I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to our discussion.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #1406 on: April 15, 2010, 03:03:21 pm »
I missed Sarah's Key. If I can remember to get it, I think I would like to read it.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1407 on: April 16, 2010, 05:40:55 am »
Keri, I think you would enjoy. Like Gift, it alternates between past and present, although not from the same viewpoint.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1408 on: April 18, 2010, 09:19:03 am »
Kids had science fair this week and 4-H demonstrations and project board along with baking and photo contest for 4-H ... crazy week which ended yesterday with booth at TSC collecting donations for 4-H and a Scout bike rodeo ... I am wiped out

but was a good week ...Sarah got 1st place with her science fair project ... she told out dogs (and had me and her sister tell them too ) how dumb and stupid they were but did it in a nice voice ... then told them in a mean voice how smart and good they were ... she was trying to prove if when you talked to your dog if the responded more to tone of voice or words used ... and this was not to test obedience commands but conversational words we have all had with our animals ... 2 dogs took off to their house and third rolled over and peed ...so he hypothesis was correct that they understood tone of voice not words ... and she gave each a treat and big hug after watch session ... she was happy

she also won demonstration and biscuit and 2 first places in photo a second and third place

Hannah compared paper towels to see if buying cheaper ones was really cheaper ... turns out that the mid priced towel (bounty) was cheaper to use because it absorbed better in 3 tests and was more durable in the three tests she ran than other two tested towels ... she loved pouring syrup , ketchup and mustard in a puddle on the island and letting it dry all day while at school and coming back to clean it up ... hubby was not to happy to walk in from work and see the mess ... I also let her squirt mustard on the floor ...daddy not to happy ... she won 1st place for 6th grade ...both go on to county science fair ...

Hannah also won first place for her project board and had 2 second place photos , and a first place ...both girls advance to regional 4-H competition ... all that said means I have still not finished the book  >:( ... this week is T-CAP tests at school and I am proctoring which means I have to sit in classes and make sure that teachers don't assist kids or slip them any answers ... will have a hour break each day so hoping to take the book , go back to middle and start there and finish it off ...did I tell you all I love my new glasses with invisible bifocal ???... I can read with both eyes open and guess what ???... I don't get a head ache reading ...wooo hooo ...well I don't get a head ache reading school books and to little kids at library ...have not really tested it enough on reading my book

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1409 on: April 18, 2010, 04:14:52 pm »
You gotta love science fair projects.  I have been on both sides, as an educator and as a parent.  They are a pain in the you-know-what no matter which side you are on, but there really isn't a better way to teach the scientific method.  My daughter and son both have fond memories of them.  As a parent, I remember lots of late nights and cajoling!  I live in the Johnson Space Center (NASA) employment pool, so the science fair takes on a whole new meaning in our neck of the woods.  You know how people say "Well, it's not exactly rocket science."  That doesn't fly in this neighborhood!  It IS rocket science, and it is very likely that your neighbor has been in space or sent someone up into space.  Science fair in my school district is very serious business!  God bless all those faithful parents who have shepherded their kids through the process. Way to go, Soundy!  The projects sounded great.

I hope people liked the book.  I loved the writing and the theme of forgiveness and redemption.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.